• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stop paying maintenance fee almost 4 years at Club Sunset Mexico.And I got this email today. Any suggestions what’s my next move?

Angel29

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Judith$&@1
Today we got an email like this:
You membership is about to be sent to the legal department and to an International collection agency. I suggest you to contact me to reach an agreement of payment before is to late, At the moment you have a pending balance of $xxxx please let me know your answer and avoid to be send to a collections agency.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
It might be worth looking into whether or not they can actually pursue you via collections from Mexico. Typically there is difficulty and expense in enforcing debts in other countries, so they try to pressure you with emails like this one instead.

Angel29

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Judith$&@1
It might be worth looking into whether or not they can actually pursue you via collections from Mexico. Typically there is difficulty and expense in enforcing debts in other countries, so they try to pressure you with emails like this one instead.
Thank you for the information. Do you know a company that help to cancel timeshare?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Do not enter into any agreement to repay of any kind. This is a collectors trick, as it restarts the statute of limitations. In most US states, it is 4 years for breach of written contract. Not sure if this applies to your situation but the 4 year note makes it suspicious.

PS no one can really cancel your TS

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Thank you for the information. Do you know a company that help to cancel timeshare?

The conventional wisdom is that it is never a good idea to pay any of the companies that "help to cancel timeshares." Most of them don't do anything more than what you can do for yourself, but charge a lot for it. In any case, you don't really own anything if this is a typical Mexican timeshare; instead it was a contract for a right to use the resort. There are a number of threads in this forum on what happens when you just stop paying those; typically it is just emails and phone calls like this one. Your best bet is probably to search for those threads and make an informed decision on how to proceed on your own.

Angel29

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Judith$&@1
Do not enter into any agreement to repay of any kind. This is a collectors trick, as it restarts the statute of limitations. In most US states, it is 4 years for breach of written contract. Not sure if this applies to your situation but the 4 year note makes it suspicious.

Thanks I really appreciated

Angel29

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Judith$&@1
What happen if they transfer to an international collection agency?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks I really appreciated
Do not lose any sleep over this. It's unlikely that it will even proceed more than emails. If in the unlikely event that it proceeds to phone calls, block them. The can't do anything other than bluster. You don't own anything they can foreclose on, and any derogatory credit report allow you to write a letter that has to accompany an inquiry. I suspect any potential creditor who sees that you defaulted on a Mexican timeshare is more likely to applaud you than deny you credit.

Let us know if you hear more, but don't expect much.

JIm

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
What happen if they transfer to an international collection agency?
I just googled 'International Collection Agency' and wouldn'tcha know, it's headquartered in Ocoee FL and is headed by David Siegel! Now @Angel29 wouldn't be familiar with this, but TUGgers ARE! He's the head of Westgate Resorts (known locally as Wastegate!) the lowest of the low. Start out by watching the movie, 'Queen Of Versailles' for a little primer on the Siegels.

If they are actually operating in the USA, (and this turns out to be who contacts you) they are subject to Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act. Keep us informed.

Jim

Angel29

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Judith$&@1
I just googled 'International Collection Agency' and wouldn'tcha know, it's headquartered in Ocoee FL and is headed by David Siegel! Now @Angel29 wouldn't be familiar with this, but TUGgers ARE! He's the head of Westgate Resorts (known locally as Wastegate!) the lowest of the low. Start out by watching the movie, 'Queen Of Versailles' for a little primer on the Siegels.

If they are actually operating in the USA, (and this turns out to be who contacts you) they are subject to Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act. Keep us informed.

Jim
Thank you Jim

Angel29

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Judith$&@1

Thank u

Angel29

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Judith$&@1
I am such a gullible person because I believed everything that they said when I bought the timeshare at Club Sunset Mexico. Which is everything is a lie. And the funny thing is I don’t even read the contract before signing. I just give away my $18000. I bought my timeshare 2013 and fully paid same year. Learned my lesson I guess and face the consequences.Wish me good luck.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
4 years of defaulted payments, anything negative that was going to happen to you likely already has.

Angel29

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Judith$&@1
4 years of defaulted payments, anything negative that was going to happen to you likely already has.
I got an email today stating.
Remember your account is about to be transfer to an International Collections Agency.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got an email today stating.
Remember your account is about to be transfer to an International Collections Agency.
If it's only email, don't sweat it. If something shows up in your real USPS mail. We'd love to see a copy. My hunch (and it's only a hunch) that Seigel's bunch, or someone similar, has entered an agreement to share a fraction of whatever they can collect from various TSs from their list of defaulted customers. The TS has almost zero cost in providing the default list, and stands to make some profit from what they can't legally collect. If it is Seigel, they will play hardball. We've seen their sleazy tactics in their dealings with Wastegate owners who want out.

JIm

Angel29

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Judith$&@1
If it's only email, don't sweat it. If something shows up in your real USPS mail. We'd love to see a copy. My hunch (and it's only a hunch) that Seigel's bunch, or someone similar, has entered an agreement to share a fraction of whatever they can collect from various TSs from their list of defaulted customers. The TS has almost zero cost in providing the default list, and stands to make some profit from what they can't legally collect. If it is Seigel, they will play hardball. We've seen their sleazy tactics in their dealings with Wastegate owners who want out.

JIm
I will as soon as I receive one.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

Jim

“International Collection Agency” is also very generic but sounds “official”. The name could be a coincidence or could be used intentionally by this outfit hoping someone would think it is legit. Could also be a scammer who got a list and trying to see what they can get.

Any request for payment concerning a Mexican timeshare has me suspect. I assume that this is not deeded property but rather a club membership. If it was me I would ignore any contact attempts.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
“International Collection Agency” is also very generic but sounds “official”. The name could be a coincidence or could be used intentionally by this outfit hoping someone would think it is legit. Could also be a scammer who got a list and trying to see what they can get.

Any request for payment concerning a Mexican timeshare has me suspect. I assume that this is not deeded property but rather a club membership. If it was me I would ignore any contact attempts.
Agreed, but when I Googled it, and Siegel's name popped up it gave me pause. Also, assuming the OP copy/pasted the email, the grammatical errors lead me to the assumption that it's just some scammer looking at easy money.

Here: "You membership is about to be sent to the legal department and to an International collection agency. I suggest you to contact me to reach an agreement of payment before is to late, At the moment you have a pending balance of $xxxx please let me know your answer and avoid to be send to a collections agency."

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
... the grammatical errors lead me to the assumption that it's just some scammer looking at easy money.

Here: "You membership is about to be sent to the legal department and to an International collection agency. I suggest you to contact me to reach an agreement of payment before is to late, At the moment you have a pending balance of $xxxx please let me know your answer and avoid to be send to a collections agency."

Always a HUGE tip-off. No legitimate agency/concern sends communication with grammar like that. I hit the delete button the minute I see it.

Angel29

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Judith$&@1
Agreed, but when I Googled it, and Siegel's name popped up it gave me pause. Also, assuming the OP copy/pasted the email, the grammatical errors lead me to the assumption that it's just some scammer looking at easy money.

J mommy

Reaction score
I am such a gullible person because I believed everything that they said when I bought the timeshare at Club Sunset Mexico. Which is everything is a lie. And the funny thing is I don’t even read the contract before signing. I just give away my $18000. I bought my timeshare 2013 and fully paid same year. Learned my lesson I guess and face the consequences.Wish me good luck.
dont feel bad, i'm actually in the same boat. feel so stupid and still hate myself for it. That money could've gone to my kids college fund or something. I'm trying to get out of paying for maintenance fees, it's gone up and I dont even use it. I paid all in full, just stuck with MF. I've received letters and my husband already received a few calls already.

J mommy

Reaction score

mine is the vacation club membership too, I thought I bought a timeshare, but I've researched and read the posts here (thank god I found this site), I know the difference now, I bought a membership instead and stuck with MF, now keep getting calls and letters.