• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

stock market

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been following this thread and find it very interesting. No one has yet recommended reading "The Wall Street Journal" on a daily basis.

I think this is a really "good read" for many folks who have money investment on their minds.

Just my opinion.

Wyominguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Warren Buffett says that the overall best investment is to put your money into an S&P 500 fund. It has outperformed most everything else in the long run. I read he has about $122 billion in cash now, probably waiting for the next downturn to pounce on bargains. We are lucky that we both have defined benefit State pensions plus SS so everything else is a big plus.

My goal is to spend everything we make from the pensions and SS every month while we have the health and interest to travel and spend on grandkids.

Neil

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless I missed it no one has said they sold out and went into annuities...

George
I did in 2016 but not because of how the market was performing. When we decided to retire, which the decision was made within a month and retired in 3 months, I decided to bucketize on where our retirement income was going to come from. My entire IRA got turned into deferred annuities. My husband's IRA would simply be spent down through RMD only. Our taxable investments would be left intact for 30 years. We already had the same wealth management firm then but in California. I ran my own numbers on a 3rd party annuities website, called my then Financial Advisor on what I wanted and which company to go with. He had no clue on annuities and was too slow to move. Regardless, he lost out on the commission big time as I went with an external broker and transferred my entire IRA out. It is still the best decision for us as we do not worry about a down market. Our RMD will fluctuate each year but it is only 1 of the 4 income sources. The other 3 being annuities and 2 Social Security income.

We did have to set aside alot of cash to tide us through until when all 4 were paying us.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a risk but if you have small enough order tranches in your ladder the order should execute at or near the price. Problems arise when they cannot fill the entire order at the price because there are too many shares.

The scenario I am talking about is if a stock opens down 25% or stops trading for news and opens way down. Your order will execute way below your stop number. Stop will execute upon open. To make a long story short a stop order does not actually limit your loss in all situations.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Rule of thumb is your allocation between stock and fixed income (safe) is: 100 - your age.

Some think that allocation underweights stock. Some use 110 - age.
I use a weighting of 120 - age, which for me, means 55% stock.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless I missed it no one has said they sold out and went into annuities...

Lack of responses to the above is enlightening. It seems like there is little interest in annuities. In essence my entire "portfolio" is one big annuity, the monthly payments I receive from my Defined Benefit Pension Plan. I had a choice when I retired, either a lump sum or an annuity. I chose the annuity. I care less what the Stock Market does as I receive a fixed payment every month which increases every year due to a cumulative Cost of Living kicker...

George

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Lack of responses to the above is enlightening. It seems like there is little interest in annuities. In essence my entire "portfolio" is one big annuity, the monthly payments I receive from my Defined Benefit Pension Plan. I had a choice when I retired, either a lump sum or an annuity. I chose the annuity. I care less what the Stock Market does as I receive a fixed payment every month. My payments increase every year due to a cumulative Cost of Living kicker...

George

That is your answer right there. You have a defined benefit pension, unlike most people these days.

My husband is taking a lump sum on his, but that is because his pension was sliced in half years ago when the company decided to go to a crappy cash balance plan instead, so the monthly payments would be nothing we can live on, though certainly better than nothing.

Plus, we are not going to trust keeping money he worked 22 years for at a greedy for profit entity in this day and age with no union representation (and believe me, I am not a big union fan either)- a company that year in and year out religiously cut benefits and anything else they could get away with- capping salaries, decreasing/capping PTO time accrual, etc. Everything just shy of making you work for free... No thanks. Give us the money and we will take our chances with it.

I cannot wait until I am 65 and can get my $29.00 per month pension from a long ago employer. LOL! That's my wine money right there. Not sure I can take a lump sum on it. Ha! Ha! (wonder what it would be if allowed?)

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
In essence by not taking a lump sum I bought an annuity. But I have to admit that yours is the majority take on this...

George

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
My employer in the 1990's did away with their defined benefit plan around 1996. Mary Ann is right, very few of those out there for folks under the age of 60~ish.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In essence by not taking a lump sum I bought an annuity. But I have to admit that yours is the majority take on this...

George

We are using Social Security as an annuity and plan to take it at age 70.

That’s a big enough gamble for us.

Brett

Reaction score
Lack of responses to the above is enlightening. It seems like there is little interest in annuities. In essence my entire "portfolio" is one big annuity, the monthly payments I receive from my Defined Benefit Pension Plan. I had a choice when I retired, either a lump sum or an annuity. I chose the annuity. I care less what the Stock Market does as I receive a fixed payment every month which increases every year due to a cumulative Cost of Living kicker...

George

yes, these days few workers retire with a good (or great) pension plans
sure, you can buy annuities but there are problems - high commissions, ability to let spouse share in the pension, etc

But some municipal workers still have good pensions .... and fantastic overtime benefits !

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-06/lapd-lafd-audit-overtime-city-controller

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Reactions: Tia

Brett

Reaction score
yup- paid for by everyone’s taxes- the same people WITHOUT pensions.

well, not everyone.
In that case it's Los Angeles city taxpayers

the federal government used to have a good pension plan, now it's a combination of 401k type savings and reduced pensions
The military pension .... (still nice)

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
The kids are both in college, and their 529s are in age-based allocations. Michigan's 529 lets you pick between three different mixes based on risk tolerance. Those funds re-balance periodically and have low expense ratios. I am aggressive, my wife is conservative, so we put them both in the Moderate category to split the difference. I am still 15-20+ years from retirement. That plus my risk tolerance has my (tax-deferred) retirement account entirely in an equity index fund with very low expenses. My wife has an allocation that is not 100% equities, and she re-balances probably less often than she should, which means that it probably has more in equities than she'd prefer at the moment. This is a good nudge that I should remind her to take a look at that if she'd like to.

We also have more of a cash reserve than we probably should, but we also don't have much beyond travel that we spend real money on. The house is not quite "period" in decor, it's just dated, but you get the idea. We drive cars into the ground. Etc. etc. etc. And, our time is currently more limited than our travel budget, so it's not the end of the world that we aren't getting every last cent of return.

I tried timing the market once, when I bought a bunch of stuff on the big dip in late September of '08 and thought I was a genius. That wasn't a terrible idea, but it wasn't the brilliant move I though it was, and I've decided to not make that mistake again. Now I don't even open my quarterly statements.

I am in a similar boat. When I was younger (late 20s) I tried picking and choosing investments. Found that I didn't know as much as I thought. Made some money and lost a lot more. The investments were part of our house down payment savings.

I took a huge hit on mutual funds that had a load. I was mesmerized by the 99% return the previous year. Sadly I lost almost all the money I invested. The only thing I did well was on Netflix. I bought at $10 and sold at $20. I made $10K on my thousand shares, but if I had never sold, they would have become 14,000 shares (due to splits) worth $4MM today.

Joe

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

George

You aren’t the only one George, just didn’t think it was worth mentioning since all my retirement income is on autopilot, letting the people who’s job it is figure out the market.

I converted my lump sum benefit to an annuity with Fidelity when I retired. My 401k is with Fidelity also, all in one Target Date Fund, set for when I turn 70 and have to take RMDs. Its adjusted for me as I age, this past years rate of return is 16.8%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
well, not everyone.
In that case it's Los Angeles city taxpayers

the federal government used to have a good pension plan, now it's a combination of 401k type savings and reduced pensions
The military pension .... (still nice)

I think the Federal Government plan is called TSA, also known as "Thrift Savings Plan".

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel as if the market will still run for another year or so. I don't sell very often as mostly bought for the dividends which I do very well with. Recently instead of adding more stocks besides some automatic repurchase I do I bought some tax free bonds. Will keep buying these bonds for awhile as long as highly rated,(some are insured) and I get a good interest rate.
Bart

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I sold some Friday. It was the QQQ's I have held since 2008. I have become a bit over exposed to the market with the recent gains so it was as much an allocation move. With the market going up now for over 10 yrs without a big correction I feel it is overdue. However I have felt that way for 4 yrs so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Also my income is low now but in a few years I will take SS and it will move up. Right now I can book quite a bit of capital gains and pay no taxes on it.
I was curious as to when I purchased QQQ, some in 2002 and the rest in 2004 rode them through the big recession.

BarbmC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Marriott BeachPlace
Marriott Vacation Club points owner
Our 31 year old son who pays no attention to his money has 100% in stock funds (401K and Roth IRA). I wonder what I should advise him?
He should pay attention to his money! Fortunately for him he has time to weather any market dips before he'll need it for his retirement. Good for him for putting money into retirement!

geekette

Reaction score
He should pay attention to his money! Fortunately for him he has time to weather any market dips before he'll need it for his retirement. Good for him for putting money into retirement!
I think he's actually better off not obsessing over it. Sock it away, look at quarterly statements, keep socking it away.

It seems that folks on the job that were most into following ups and downs of their 401ks were also the ones to drain it on job departure. Better to consider it a long term asset with many years to grow and roll over whatever the sum is to the next 401k (or into an IRA if one cares to manage it themselves, which I do, but I don't hover over it even monthly).

Years and years to go before it's needed makes micromanaging it a bad idea. As a worker, I would give the 401k a good inspection every year after I finished doing taxes. Annual financial checkup for me and often enough.