• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stock Market - Who’s buying what?

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I sold some QQQ at the end of the year. I picked them back up when it was 20% below where I sold. Wish I had bought more. Was considering selling today as it was again where I sold it in December. Any gain Monday and it will be out of here.

mbinpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought 300 shares of Carnival Cruise Lines, and 100 each of Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. They are very profitable companies that got hit hard but all have a very loyal customer base and I believe they will bounce back past their previous highs. Not only that, but as a shareholder I will received a cabin credit on every cruise I take once they are up and running. At the prices they were trading at, the savings on 8 cruises will literally pay for the 100 shares.
The demand for travel and to just get away when all the dust settles is only growing.

Brett

Reaction score
I bought 300 shares of Carnival Cruise Lines, and 100 each of Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. They are very profitable companies that got hit hard but all have a very loyal customer base and I believe they will bounce back past their previous highs. Not only that, but as a shareholder I will received a cabin credit on every cruise I take once they are up and running. At the prices they were trading at, the savings on 8 cruises will literally pay for the 100 shares.
The demand for travel and to just get away when all the dust settles is only growing.

Good for you! somebody has to support the cruise industry.
If my mother was 20 years younger she would jump right back into cruising after the pandemic
Buying cruise line stocks is 'bottom fishing' but could pay off

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
What is the cabin credit a shareholder gets, and does it matter how many shares you have?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I'm very excited to get Disney at these prices...

The bulk of my investments are in mutuals funds and ETF's but ever since I was a young adult I have wanted to own Disney stock. I told my FA (who is fee based) and he told me to dollar cost average, I thought I only had enough money to buy 100 shares in total. But the day that I saw it go to $85 in jumped in for 60 shares...

I'm now done and will be holding on to these stocks for 10+ years...

I'm back to my non sexy way of investing via my mutual funds...

Last edited:

mbinpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
One requires 100 shares of any of the cruise lines to qualify for the cabin credit.
3 to 5 day cruises = $50 per cabin
6 to 13 day cruises = $100 cabin
14 plus days = $250 per cabin

This is above and beyond any other packages or deals.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I also bought Disney

300 at 91.81
400 at 88.80
600 at 85.98

Oh my I just looked at my post and since I posted on my phone vs the laptop, I had hit too many zero's above, ugh sorry.. I purchased the following:

30 at 91.81
40 at 88.80
60 at 85.98

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my I just looked at my post and since I posted on my phone vs the laptop, I had hit too many zero's above, ugh sorry.. I purchased the following:

30 at 91.81
40 at 88.80
60 at 85.98

Yeah, I was amazed at the PREVIOUS total investment----wish I had that to invest!!

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used my severance pay and my double pay for 3 months to buy Disney stock.....it just makes me smile
Best decision I ever made because that is a good reminder of my hard work teaching and my love for kids.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I'm very excited to get Disney at these prices...

The bulk of my investments are in mutuals funds and ETF's but ever since I was a young adult I have wanted to own Disney stock. I told my FA (who is fee based) and he told me to dollar cost average, I thought I only had enough money to buy 1,000 shares in total. But the day that I saw it go to $85 in jumped in for 600 shares...

I'm now done and will be holding on to these stocks for 10+ years...

I'm back to my non sexy way of investing via my mutual funds...

Nothing wrong with good quality ETFs and Mutual funds. They provide diversification that holding a single stock does not. Disney is a great company and I hope they do come back and rebound to those prior levels.

As for the cruise lines I think those will be a long road (sea?) back. Buying them on drops and short term spikes might make some good money. Royal Caribbean was about 25.00 3 weeks ago and then jumped up to $50 a few days later. I think the cruise industry is going to have a struggle to win back customers. I know that I’m done ever taking another cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sold two of my four energy related stocks on Fridays bounce back, one at a loss and the other just pennies from breakeven. With WTI plunging 30% this morning, I'm sure glad I did. My other two are surprisingly not cratering, so I will try to time exit on a bounce. The NA energy play is dead for the next 6 months in any event.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
For those of you who own or are currently buying Disney, would the parks not re-opening until 2021 change your views of the stock?

They are laying off 100K employees, with no or very limited live sports for the next several months (some say we won't see stadium sports until at least 2021), their ESPN is hurting badly and will continue to do so, and with movie theaters closed, their film production business is hurting badly. The only bright spot might be Disney+, but being in start-up mode, that is currently losing money.

I'll ask the question: is Disney "too big" to fail? This seems like the perfect storm that could take down Disney -- not a likely probability, but it is certainly a non-zero probability right now, IMO. Before this is all over, we may see some big companies go down that no one thought could fail. It happened in 2008; it can happen now.

Kurt

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I've been focused on technology, healthcare, and blue chip consumer brand stocks well-positioned to take advantage of the upheaval. About a month ago, I bought SHOP, AYX, and DXCM on the tech and healthcare side, as well as KO, PG, and JNJ on the consumer branded side. All have done pretty well, but SHOP has been out of control lately--up more than 60% in just the past 3 weeks. I'm a buy and hold investor so I won't be selling to cash in, but that stock is definitely due for a re-trench any day now. By the way, I also invested a month or so ago in call options on SLV, an ETF that tracks silver prices. My theory was that in these volatile markets, investors would rush to precious metals. I didn't buy GLD because the historical spread between gold and silver was at its widest point in more than 60 years, so I reasoned silver would snap back faster. So far, my theory hasn't panned out. I still have about 50 days before the option expires, but it looks like that one may turn out to be a loser.

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I've been focused on technology, healthcare, and blue chip consumer brand stocks well-positioned to take advantage of the upheaval. About a month ago, I bought SHOP, AYX, and DXCM on the tech and healthcare side, as well as KO, PG, and JNJ on the consumer branded side. All have done pretty well, but SHOP has been out of control lately--up more than 60% in just the past 3 weeks. I'm a buy and hold investor so I won't be selling to cash in, but that stock is definitely due for a re-trench any day now. By the way, I also invested a month of so ago in call options on SLV, an ETF that tracks silver prices. My theory was that in these volatile markets, investors would rush to precious metals. I didn't buy GLD because the historical spread between gold and silver was at its widest point in more than 60 years, so I reasoned silver would snap back faster. So far, my theory hasn't panned out. I still have about 50 days before the option expires, but it looks like that one may turn out to be a loser.
So, to your later point, I own a fair amount of GLD (it's way up) and PSLV (chugging along). The gap between gold and silver has grown to semi-historic levels. Stansberry says silver will close that gap, and encourages buying silver and silver miners. However, there is another line of thinking that suggests the gap will remain and even grow, and that's the from a USE standpoint. Silver is used mostly in industries that will not fare well or nearly as well as gold, in a bear market or recession. Seeking Alpha just ran a story on this yesterday. 69% of silver is used in industry. 37% of gold is used in industry. The say that makes silver much more sensitive to the economy. If the economy remains weak into the future, they expect the ratio to increase and gold to outperform silver.

One other area I see struggling... big banks. If I learned one thing this past month it's that I can't rely on Wells Fargo or Chase. I'm looking to move all my accounts, business and personal, to a smaller credit union or small bank, where they know you and care about you. If I'm thinking that way, there may be lots of people thinking that way. I can see many hundreds of millions/billions moving out of big banks as small business owners are angry.

I'm planning for a significant multi-year downturn. I expect credit defaults (Virgin Australia and Neiman Marcus this week apparently), lots of small businesses/restaurants gone, and a lot of belt tightening. Businesses with 20 employees may only rehire 15. Foreclosures will spike. Student and car loan defaults will increase. So I'm sticking with gold and dividend artistocrats, and companies too big to fail.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I have bought nothing additional I have plenty today from when they were at full price back in February. I think we may see another bottom within the next three months. Almost every industry has been impacted. How long can businesses go when revenue is cut substantially for a couple of months.. We dont know the full effect yet. I wouldn't count on old dividends payout as mentioned above. Good luck to all of us.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of you who own or are currently buying Disney, would the parks not re-opening until 2021 change your views of the stock?

They are laying off 100K employees, with no or very limited live sports for the next several months (some say we won't see stadium sports until at least 2021), their ESPN is hurting badly and will continue to do so, and with movie theaters closed, their film production business is hurting badly. The only bright spot might be Disney+, but being in start-up mode, that is currently losing money.

I'll ask the question: is Disney "too big" to fail? This seems like the perfect storm that could take down Disney -- not a likely probability, but it is certainly a non-zero probability right now, IMO. Before this is all over, we may see some big companies go down that no one thought could fail. It happened in 2008; it can happen now.

Kurt

I, too, think of Disney, as a 'wait'. I know it's a great company, but....

They have several factions that will be a while before they are back to normal.

So, why not wait a few weeks/months?

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
One other area I see struggling... big banks. If I learned one thing this past month it's that I can't rely on Wells Fargo or Chase. I'm looking to move all my accounts, business and personal, to a smaller credit union or small bank, where they know you and care about you. If I'm thinking that way, there may be lots of people thinking that way. I can see many hundreds of millions/billions moving out of big banks as small business owners are angry.

can you explain in more detail about Big Banks vs.
".... smaller credit union or small bank, where they know you and care about you."

That sounds nice, but from a FINANCIAL perspective----please explain.
Thanks

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
can you explain in more detail about Big Banks vs.
".... smaller credit union or small bank, where they know you and care about you."

That sounds nice, but from a FINANCIAL perspective----please explain.
Thanks
Looking at the PPP program as representative... The great majority of "small" businesses that got loans were able to do so through small community banks. The big banks, Wells Fargo, Chase and similar, failed. Badly. They were not ready for days. (I'm a Wells customer, one of my businesses uses Chase.) They didn't even START taking information until the day before the money ran out. However, now it appears that they were "prioritizing" the requests for PPP loans and putting small customers at the back of the bus and servicing the customers that generated bigger fees for the bank. So, I'm sitting here, with my meager $600k in cash in Wells, getting a message every day that they'll get to my PPP application some time after new funding arrives. I know many people that applied through their local community banks that got funded just fine.

I believe a lot of people like me will leave the big banks, where we are clearly second class citizens, for smaller banks that are more interested in providing you service, because you matter more to them.

Brett

Reaction score
Looking at the PPP program as representative... The great majority of "small" businesses that got loans were able to do so through small community banks. The big banks, Wells Fargo, Chase and similar, failed. Badly. They were not ready for days. (I'm a Wells customer, one of my businesses uses Chase.) They didn't even START taking information until the day before the money ran out. However, now it appears that they were "prioritizing" the requests for PPP loans and putting small customers at the back of the bus and servicing the customers that generated bigger fees for the bank. So, I'm sitting here, with my meager $600k in cash in Wells, getting a message every day that they'll get to my PPP application some time after new funding arrives. I know many people that applied through their local community banks that got funded just fine.

I believe a lot of people like me will leave the big banks, where we are clearly second class citizens, for smaller banks that are more interested in providing you service, because you matter more to them.

I once worked for a community bank and I agree with you about smaller banks being more helpful for smaller businesses.
But as a person with retail banking needs (not a business owner) larger banks can offer more services and have better online capabilities.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Bought BP at $22.00
Fantastic yield, but can they sustain their dividend? If they cut it, or cancel it, that would be a real hit on the value of the stock. BP wasn't doing particularly well BEFORE Covid.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a SMALL investor-----not many $$$s----haha!

I sold a few of my holdings today at a value of less than $2000, to get about $800 in profit from the last month.

I just think the market will go down some in the near or distant future---so I can always buy those things again.

Not that I think I can "...time the market"----but I am at least going with the "Buy LOW, sell HIGH" theory.

If things keep going UP-----oops, I made a mistake-----I should have done the HOLD thing..............haha!