• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 88.1%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
As long as you have an active reservation- 2021 - they will do nothing with transitions.

Irrelevant -- it doesn't matter about a 2021 reservation. I'm excluded from Transitions because I bought on eBay.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Irrelevant -- it doesn't matter about a 2021 reservation. I'm excluded from Transitions because I bought on eBay.

Correct! If you bought from a third party and not from the developer, which would be Diamond or from the company that Diamond purchased, you cannot participate in the Transitions program.

Hubble

Reaction score

Well, I don't mean to reply to you specifically here, but am just reporting in.

Today, I logged into Diamond and see that my membership has finally ended.

I applied for Transitions on July 5. Our '20 week's exchange vacation had been cancelled due to COVID, but Interval had provided a compensation certificate that I essentially used to rebook. Initially, I didn't think we were eligible, with a mid-Sept week outstanding, but the thought occurred to me in July that maybe we were. Anyway, I applied, and a month later received the approval letter and the paperwork. I wrote the deed agent
to see how long we had to send in the paperwork, and was told 60 days. So, we took our trip in Sept. in Sedona and stopped at a notary upon checking out and sent the forms along with the check back to deed agent. They got sent to Diamond by mid-Oct.,and it has taken this long for them finally to finalize things.

We had a low TDi week that didn't really make sense for us in the long run. I did manage to get some decent trades out of it, but we're
glad to be out, all things considered. I appreciate all those involved with this thread for the help in showing the way.

Last edited:

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess they changed their feedback program because about 6 or 7 years ago they took our Polo Towers week back and we had purchased it off eBay.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I guess they changed their feedback program because about 6 or 7 years ago they took our Polo Towers week back and we had purchased it off eBay.
Not really sure how they would know where one bought a week except that it was bought on resale.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt they do. I was just surprised by the comment that chapjim made about not being eligible for the transitions program because he bought on eBay.
Not really sure how they would know where one bought a week except that it was bought on resale.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I doubt they do. I was just surprised by the comment that chapjim made about not being eligible for the transitions program because he bought on eBay.

That's exactly right. eBay isn't the point, only that I didn't buy from DRI.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is interesting - they definitely changed their system then because we didn’t buy our resale week from DRI and we deeded it back to them. But, as I said, it was quite a few years ago.

That's exactly right. eBay isn't the point, only that I didn't buy from DRI.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id certainly still suggest continuing to apply for transitions even with resale purchases...

eventually they have to come around as they are just pushing every resale buyer into default or a timeshare exit scam as those ownerships are impossible to sell or even give away in many cases.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
id certainly still suggest continuing to apply for transitions even with resale purchases...

eventually they have to come around as they are just pushing every resale buyer into default or a timeshare exit scam as those ownerships are impossible to sell or even give away in many cases.

Well, DRI is very clear now about an owner having to have to bought directly from them to be eligible for their Transitions program. Its not “loosey goosey”.
It’s spelled out pretty clearly on the owners website.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
no other way to pressure them into changing the policy...especially if the only other alternative is to default or fall victim to an upfront fee scammer.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
no other way to pressure them into changing the policy...especially if the only other alternative is to default or fall victim to an upfront fee scammer.

There will come a day...

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the industry has always been a bit slow to adapt to change such as this. but if you look back just a few years ago, NONE of these deedback programs existed.

covid certainly did not help things, and many resorts and developers are going to have huge losses for 2020....as well as continuing on thru 2021.

Hubble

Reaction score
the industry has always been a bit slow to adapt to change such as this. but if you look back just a few years ago, NONE of these deedback programs existed.

covid certainly did not help things, and many resorts and developers are going to have huge losses for 2020....as well as continuing on thru 2021.

Diamond has been bought out by Hilton. Wonder what the ramifications will be.

Donnacindy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond resorts, Grand Villas in Orlando, FL
I just joined this wonderful forum. My folks gave me their timeshare, but I really did not want it. I agreed to take it off of their hands since they are in their 90s. I have had it for 3 years now and we don't use it. What is the best way to sell or give it back? I am with Diamond Resorts Grande Villa in Orlando, FL. I simply can't afford the maintenance fees due to this past year. Help please? I would appreciate any helpful information.
Thank you kindly

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
I just joined this wonderful forum. My folks gave me their timeshare, but I really did not want it. I agreed to take it off of their hands since they are in their 90s. I have had it for 3 years now and we don't use it. What is the best way to sell or give it back? I am with Diamond Resorts Grande Villa in Orlando, FL. I simply can't afford the maintenance fees due to this past year. Help please? I would appreciate any helpful information.
Thank you kindly

If you have access to the Diamond website, you can click on the Transitions button and see if it is eligible for Transitions. It costs $1,000 to transition a week or points contract back to Diamond so it depends on exactly what you own to determine the total cost.

Bigger question is though, why haven't you used it in the 3 years you've owned it? If you're not sure how, that is something I can help you with.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to sell or give it back? I am with Diamond Resorts Grande Villa in Orlando, FL. I simply can't afford the maintenance fees due to this past year.

If you are behind on your MF payments, then you can't give it away or sell it. As Fried Shrimp suggested above, try the Transitions program although I believe they will only accept deed backs in this program for owners who bought from the developer.

If the Transtions program turns you down then you have a couple of other options. First keep in mind that most Central FL TSs like yours are probably worth zero dollars resale, so please eliminate any fantasies about selling for thousands of dollars. In fact, in many cases like yours, owners are offering incentives to new takers of their TSs such as paying the next MF. If you can afford to pay the past MF (although you said you can't afford it at this time), I would suggest paying it so that there are no road blocks to giving it away.

If you can't afford it, then your best option, unpalatable as it may seem, is to stop all payments and let it go into foreclosure. You may face a hit on your credit score and a bunch of collection calls and letters.

The biggest thing that most here on TUG advise against is using these law firms or companies (they usually have comforting-sounding words in their title such as exit/cancel/relief) to get you out of your predicament. They charge large upfront fees and are usually scams. And they do not have any magical powers to do things that you can't do yourself.

Last edited:

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
If you are behind on your MF payments, then you can't give it away or sell it. As Fried Shrimp suggested above, try the Transitions program although I believe they will only accept deed backs in this program for owners who bought from the developer.

If the Transtions program turns you down then you have a couple of other options. First keep in mind that most Central FL TSs like yours are probably worth zero dollars resale, so please eliminate any fantasies about selling for thousands of dollars. In fact, in many cases like yours, owners are offering incentives to new takers of their TSs such as paying the next MF. If you can afford to pay the past MF (although you said you can't afford it at this time), I would suggest paying it so that there are no road blocks to giving it away.

If you can't afford it, then your best option, unpalatable as it may seem, is to stop all payments and let it go into foreclosure. You may face a hit on your credit score and a bunch of collection calls and letters.

The biggest thing that most here on TUG advise against is using these law firms or companies (they usually have comforting-sounding words in their title such as exit/cancel/relief) to get you out of your predicament. They charge large upfront fees and are usually scams. And they do not have any magical powers to do things that you can't do yourself.

Points or weeks that come from a family member stay clean and would be eligible for Transitions.

I would eliminate any fantasies of selling for thousands of pennies as well.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Points or weeks the come from a family member stay clean and would be eligible for Transitions.

I would eliminate and fantasies of selling for thousands of pennies as well.
Correct, provided the family member purchased from DRI/Sunterra.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Correct, provided the family member purchased from DRI/Sunterra.

I believe it holds true even if it was purchased prior to Sunterra/DRI involvement. Such as old legacy owners at Powhatan when it was an independent resort. Then it was bought by Sunterra and then by DRI.

Frankiesmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts. Kaanapali Beach Club and Point at Poipu

Thank you for this info. We are Canadian owners of Diamond Resorts timeshare points that we bought on the resale market. We can no longer afford maintenance fees and Diamond won’t take them back in their Transitions program...we are stressed out beyond belief

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you for this info. We are Canadian owners of Diamond Resorts timeshare points that we bought on the resale market. We can no longer afford maintenance fees and Diamond won’t take them back in their Transitions program...we are stressed out beyond belief
Have you looked at this to see what the chances of a negative impact if you just walked away?

Frankiesmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts. Kaanapali Beach Club and Point at Poipu
Have you looked at this to see what the chances of a negative impact if you just walked away?
We’ve been looking into it but it’s not clear. I don’t know if Diamond Resorts will come after us and try to sue us for unpaid maintenance fees. I’ve contacted the Attorney General for our province but got no clear answer. There must be other Canadians in this situation

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
For several years now, people on one of the Diamond facebook groups have sworn that walking away from a fully paid Diamond contract/deed had zero effect on their credit and was never reported. Defaulting on loans, many people reported that it was reported and credit did decline but the advocacy facebook group had letter templates to send to the credit bureaus which sometimes helped mitigate.

With the $1000 return fee more and more people each year seemed to decide to just stop paying and usually the report was within 8-9 months; Diamond would send a deed in lieu of foreclosure and nothing would be reported. I don't know if this will change with the HGVC takeover. I know my Virginia beach week went up just under $200 as a result in Diamond's "management" to over $1200 and as a resale owner that doesn't even have the option of returning for a $1000 fee, walking away sounds good. Transfer fees to a new owner brings the resale value for almost any weeks other than 25-32 down to less than $0.