• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For several years now, people on one of the Diamond facebook groups have sworn that walking away from a fully paid Diamond contract/deed had zero effect on their credit and was never reported. Defaulting on loans, many people reported that it was reported and credit did decline but the advocacy facebook group had letter templates to send to the credit bureaus which sometimes helped mitigate.

With the $1000 return fee more and more people each year seemed to decide to just stop paying and usually the report was within 8-9 months; Diamond would send a deed in lieu of foreclosure and nothing would be reported. I don't know if this will change with the HGVC takeover. I know my Virginia beach week went up just under $200 as a result in Diamond's "management" to over $1200 and as a resale owner that doesn't even have the option of returning for a $1000 fee, walking away sounds good. Transfer fees to a new owner brings the resale value for almost any weeks other than 25-32 down to less than $0.
This doesn't seem to make sense. Go through the expense of foreclosure instead of taking $1,000 from the resale owner to deedback. $1000 is better than foreclosure costs. It doesn't make sense. What is up with the management at DRI making these decisions.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
This doesn't seem to make sense. Go through the expense of foreclosure instead of taking $1,000 from the resale owner to deedback. $1000 is better than foreclosure costs. It doesn't make sense. What is up with the management at DRI making these decisions.

It was part of the creation of Transitions that only developer purchased weeks/contracts would be eligible. Don't know who made the decision or why but it is what it is. My guess is that they think resale owners would be quicker to give up their timeshare since they had little to nothing invested in it compared to those who purchased from the developer.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It was part of the creation of Transitions that only developer purchased weeks/contracts would be eligible. Don't know who made the decision or why but it is what it is. My guess is that they think resale owners would be quicker to give up their timeshare since they had little to nothing invested in it compared to those who purchased from the developer.
Possibly, but a resale owner is also someone who bought a week and a direct buyer is someone who was sold the timeshare. Timeshare for the most part are a SOLD product. Most don't go in with the plan to buy one but walk out of a timeshare presentation with one. I would expect that a higher percentage of resale buyers are happy with what they own vs direct purchasers. I would also think that resale buyers make up such a small percentage of owners overall that it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Hubble

Reaction score
I just joined this wonderful forum. My folks gave me their timeshare, but I really did not want it. I agreed to take it off of their hands since they are in their 90s. I have had it for 3 years now and we don't use it. What is the best way to sell or give it back? I am with Diamond Resorts Grande Villa in Orlando, FL. I simply can't afford the maintenance fees due to this past year. Help please? I would appreciate any helpful information.
Thank you kindly

I went through the Transitions program last year, paying 1000 to get rid of my offseason VA Beach week. Transitions used to be easy to find on the Diamond website, but is somewhat in the background now, a link off of the financials section, as I recall. Maybe not, but getting there required a bit of looking around. Overall, things weren't that bad for us during our six years as owners, but I felt the long term trend wasn't going to be worth it, and didn't know how long the Transitions exit program would be an option.

5travelers

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resort
After owning for 16 years, we reached a major milestone: We are done with Diamond Resorts by completing the submitting all the notarized paperwork 3 months ago as required by DRI’s Transitions program. Just checked our online DRI account and there is no record of us. Such a relief not to deal with yearly increasing maintenance fees and paltry selection of resorts with our available points.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
After owning for 16 years, we reached a major milestone: We are done with Diamond Resorts by completing the submitting all the notarized paperwork 3 months ago as required by DRI’s Transitions program. Just checked our online DRI account and there is no record of us. Such a relief not to deal with yearly increasing maintenance fees and paltry selection of resorts with our available points.

So was there any particular reason that you are sharing this information? Did something significant occur?

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Congrats!! Maintenance free/one less bill to pay?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We did the same thing several years ago. For us, it was the overall fees of DRI vs Marriott vs Hilton as we were owners with all three. We dumped DRI and eventually increased our Marriott ownership. So far it’s been the best move we’ve made as timeshare owners.

If DRI had kept their fees more in line with their quality, we’d have had no problem remaining owners in their system. But the rapid escalation of THE Club fees plus increases in regular MF’s put the, in the same range as clubs that had considerably higher quality than DRI, and that alone made them expendable.

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
We completed transitions last year and are pleased with our move to do so. Resorts were being clustered in a couple locations and once you have travelled there for 5-10+ years....we found it difficult to find new locations we wanted to stay at. Hotels - after you purchased the points and paid MFs, were not a good trade, nor were the airline tickets - when you do the math. I also had to finally accept the fact, though my husband wanted to travel, he was NOT ever going to commit to the level he wanted the points/Platinum. At 50,000+ points, the MFs were to high to accept - for the travel we did. We have some great memories, but when doing the math - it was time to leave, and with the MFs dollars in our pocket - and with riding the covid train now & into the near future, our travels are still not using up those MFs dollars. Everyone does what their head and heart tell them to do.....

Reaction score
We received notification from Diamond resorts in 1/21 that our transitions application was approved and we would be receiving surrender documents in 30-90 days, we have received nothing but past due invoices and they are not responding as to the status. Does anyone have a person that I can talk to to resolve this?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So was there any particular reason that you are sharing this information? Did something significant occur?
They got out of of their DRI timeshare. That isn't significant enough?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We received notification from Diamond resorts in 1/21 that our transitions application was approved and we would be receiving surrender documents in 30-90 days, we have received nothing but past due invoices and they are not responding as to the status. Does anyone have a person that I can talk to to resolve this?
Don't you need to remain current in order to take advantage of their exit program?

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
congrats on anyone wanting to leave their time share! We really cannot judge them NOT knowing reasons in their heart and head!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I agree with dioxide, one of the requirements of transitions is you have to keep current and pay any MF's until the transaction is complete. Fees don't stop when they accept you. They stop when the process is complete.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
In my opinion when there are lots of people who are leaving through the same program it’s not significant. If there was something unusual or unheard of then it’s significant. It’s all over various Facebook and sites like TUG of people using Diamond’s Transitions program to get from under the timeshare. Just my point of view.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
In my opinion when there are lots of people who are leaving through the same program it’s not significant. If there was something unusual or unheard of then it’s significant. It’s all over various Facebook and sites like TUG of people using Diamond’s Transitions program to get from under the timeshare. Just my point of view.
Perhaps this should have been posted to the existing sticky.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Perhaps this should have been posted to the existing sticky.
The Transitions program is on the Sticky :

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The Transitions program is on the Sticky :

I know that, I asked if this should have perhaps been posted there?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Started the Transition process on our last two Diamond contracts. This is what they sent us today:

November 1, 2020

We have approved your Transitions request for contract ###

Your relinquishment will be processed in the next calendar year, and you will not be billed for the upcoming year’s Maintenance Fees. With this approval, you agree that your contract/account will be suspended and you will not be able to use your ownership in the next calendar year. Your account will be flagged and placed accordingly into the queue at the beginning of the next calendar year on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to an annual cap. You will soon receive the owner/member acknowledgement form for you to complete and return.

If you have any questions, please contact our Transitions™ team by calling 1.855.342.3689 or emailing Transitions@diamondresorts.com.

Sincerely,

The Diamond Resorts Transitions Team

-----
I'll believe "you will not be billed" when I don't see them hit me with an autopay for January maintenance fees. The right hand never knows what the left hand is doing.

We waited almost a full six months for paperwork. The paperwork for two contracts came separately a week apart. In the meantime they hit us with Jan & Feb autopays. On the one hand I didn't mind paying monthly because it lessened the pain of coming up with $2K for our last two contracts, on the other I decided I couldn't trust them to figure it out so we told our CC to stop accepting charges from Diàmond. They now indicate the process is faster if you call to pay your transition fee by CC on the phone, so I did that with the largest contract (had to call twice and insist they take my call because they weren't calling back as promised) and then put the notarized paperwork in the mail. Did that Tuesday. At the end of next week I'll send in the small contract with a check less the $477 already paid with auto pay. Let them figure it out with the maintenance fee department. I kept the paperwork separate and spaced out to avoid having the short pay/auto pay issue affect the 12,000 point contract and being held up by any issues with the 3000 point account.

Last edited:

Hicoww

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell Vacation Clubs
Diamond Resorts International
We waited almost a full six months for paperwork. The paperwork for two contracts came separately a week apart. In the meantime they hit us with Jan & Feb autopays. On the one hand I didn't mind paying monthly because it lessened the pain of coming up with $2K for our last two contracts, on the other I decided I couldn't trust them to figure it out so we told our CC to stop accepting charges from Diàmond. They now indicate the process is faster if you call to pay your transition fee by CC on the phone, so I did that with the largest contract (had to call twice and insist they take my call because they weren't calling back as promised) and then put the notarized paperwork in the mail. Did that Tuesday. At the end of next week I'll send in the small contract with a check less the $477 already paid with auto pay. Let them figure it out with the maintenance fee department. I kept the paperwork separate and spaced out to avoid having the short pay/auto pay issue affect the 12,000 point contract and being held up by any issues with the 3000 point account.
When did you buy? We were told you can't use Transitions if you bought in 2016 or later. We bought with ILX in 2003 and have added points since.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
When did you buy? We were told you can't use Transitions if you bought in 2016 or later. We bought with ILX in 2003 and have added points since.

We had a total of five contracts, bought first one or two when they were Sunterra starting in 2007. Last one likely purchased in 2014 or 2015. One contract was rolling ILX into Diàmond with an additional purchase. I am unaware of any limits on using Transitions beyond having purchased from the developer and the contact having no outstanding loans. I believe not being able to Transition contracts signed in 2016 or later is untrue.

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a total of five contracts, bought first one or two when they were Sunterra starting in 2007. Last one likely purchased in 2014 or 2015. One contract was rolling ILX into Diàmond with an additional purchase. I am unaware of any limits on using Transitions beyond having purchased from the developer and the contact having no outstanding loans. I believe not being able to Transition contracts signed in 2016 or later is untrue.
Since you have gone through this process, I have a couple of questions. I beg your indulgence. This may be a trivial question but when you decided to initiate this process, were you given a DR produced document that outlined the steps to follow that you could share? Assuming all the paperwork is submitted and correct and you receive an "acceptance" communication, is there a timeline for completion? It is understood that to be eligible to apply to the Transitions program in the first place, an owner must have purchased directly from a developer and be up-to-date with MFs. If all MFs are paid (say, for example in January) is it reasonable to expect the deed transfer to occur before the year is up and before the next MFs are due? During the process, are exchanges or use of existing points or previously made reservations allowed? Thank you.....

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Another Mf's may come due before the process is completed but If you have been accepted I don't think they expect you to pay it. They do have an unpublished cut off date at which they won't accept you unless you pay the following years MF's first. Last year I believe the cut off date was Sept 30 but if they process is taking a long time they could readjust and make it even earlier. You can't have any non completed reservations and you won't be able to use any points once accepted. If you have any points left you need to complete travel before applying or forfeit them. The earlier you apply the more likely that it will be accepted for the year (if you are eligible).

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another Mf's may come due before the process is completed but If you have been accepted I don't think they expect you to pay it. They do have an unpublished cut off date at which they won't accept you unless you pay the following years MF's first. Last year I believe the cut off date was Sept 30 but if they process is taking a long time they could readjust and make it even earlier. You can't have any non completed reservations and you won't be able to use any points once accepted. If you have any points left you need to complete travel before applying or forfeit them. The earlier you apply the more likely that it will be accepted for the year (if you are eligible).
Thank you. This is very helpful information.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Since you have gone through this process, I have a couple of questions. I beg your indulgence. This may be a trivial question but when you decided to initiate this process, were you given a DR produced document that outlined the steps to follow that you could share? Assuming all the paperwork is submitted and correct and you receive an "acceptance" communication, is there a timeline for completion? It is understood that to be eligible to apply to the Transitions program in the first place, an owner must have purchased directly from a developer and be up-to-date with MFs. If all MFs are paid (say, for example in January) is it reasonable to expect the deed transfer to occur before the year is up and before the next MFs are due? During the process, are exchanges or use of existing points or previously made reservations allowed? Thank you.....

If you've paid maint for this year, you should travel on your points. We were accepted Nov 1, 2020, but saw no notary paperwork and other documents until April. I did the 11,500 point contract first on purpose, and it closed out last month. Just today I got the paperwork and partial payment check back on the 3000 point contract, telling me they needed a check for the full $1000, not $500 and a note telling them they already hit us for $500 in autopay maintenance in Jan and Feb. We were instructed to work with the autopay dept ourselves. What we'll do is try to get the CC to hit them with a chargeback to get our money credited before paying them for Transitions. F**kers.