• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

oboenerd

Reaction score
They won't ever call you or send you anything of their own accord...

I called today b/c I sent in my paperwork in September and my check was cashed in November, so I figured that my timeshare was no longer mine, but wanted to confirm. Turns out they keep the quitclaim deed and only send you an executed copy if you call and request it. Incredible.

So know that (1) they do deedbacks, as others note here, and (2) if you want proof that you are off the hook, you need to call them and get them to send it to you (although I note that even this is questionable, given some of the other posts here).

So glad to be out from under this company. I will count my loss as tuition for a valuable education.

smsunder

Reaction score
Update January 12, 2016
Called DRI as our transfer fee check had been posted where the deed has been recorded and our account with DRI will be closed by end of the month! :banana:

As of today, January 26, 2016 we no longer are in the DRI timeshare game! Our DRI account login page states: "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied" :banana:

NoAccess

Reaction score
My mom died from pancreatic cancer in September, and the DRI weeks is one of three timeshares she left us. My sisters are teachers, and I travel for work, so this lifestyle (specifically the annual dues & monthly fees) doesn't work for us. Thankful to find this post, and hoping it can help us. We sent our first email on January 5th, 2016, and received the ticket number.

After no follow-up, I called on January 21, 2016, and was transferred all around. For anyone searching: the contact number 877-497-7521 (option 1 English & then 3) is direct for Loss mitigation. They are running 2 weeks behind in processing requests, I was told. I'm praying that means we'll get something in the mail in the next few days.

Now, to find something similar for the Wyndham stuff she owned, too!

Thanks again for all of this info!!

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
StuckWithWyndham - sorry about your mom. I hope the Diamond giveback works for you. Wyndham also has a giveback program called Ovation - there are a couple of threads on the program in the Wyndham forum. Please read the info and get in touch with Wyndham to see what they might do for you. I've succeeded in giving back my one Diamond resort and six Wyndham contracts - hope the programs will work as well for you.

Bill4728

Reaction score
My mom died from pancreatic cancer in September, and the DRI weeks is one of three timeshares she left us. My sisters are teachers, and I travel for work, so this lifestyle (specifically the annual dues & monthly fees) doesn't work for us. Thankful to find this post, and hoping it can help us. We sent our first email on January 5th, 2016, and received the ticket number.

After no follow-up, I called on January 21, 2016, and was transferred all around. For anyone searching: the contact number 877-497-7521 (option 1 English & then 3) is direct for Loss mitigation. They are running 2 weeks behind in processing requests, I was told. I'm praying that means we'll get something in the mail in the next few days.

Now, to find something similar for the Wyndham stuff she owned, too!

Thanks again for all of this info!!

Sorry about your mom.

BUT Since your mom is gone that means the owner of the TS is gone. You just have to write a letter to DRI and tell them that none of the heirs will accept ownership and that they (DRI) will have to accept ownership back. This is not the same as a "deed back" since right now none of you are the owner of the TS.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
StuckWithWyndham - sorry about your mom. I hope the Diamond giveback works for you. Wyndham also has a giveback program called Ovation - there are a couple of threads on the program in the Wyndham forum. Please read the info and get in touch with Wyndham to see what they might do for you. I've succeeded in giving back my one Diamond resort and six Wyndham contracts - hope the programs will work as well for you.

We had a great deal of difficulty with the Loss Mitigation unit. We started in August (I think) and didn't get the paperwork for our first deeded week until the first part December and for the second week until the last part of December. The second week was so late we barely got it delivered before the end of the year, which was important as I had no intention of paying fee's for 2016.

We have maybe a dozen e-mails between us and loss mitigation. At one point they told us the person handling our request was no longer with the company. We were also told they couldn't find our deeds. Fortunately we'd saved all our paperwork and were able to send them copies. Eventually they got everything taken care of but, I'm still waiting to see them remove our last week and close our online account. I hold cancelled checks and proof of delivery of the contracts, so I'm not concerned. I'll still be relieved when I know everything has been completed and our account closed.

DONCOOK99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been successful with a deedback with DRI. Lot of postings in Mar 2015, nothing since. Anyone with knowledge of Aaronson Law Firm, who says they can get us out of DRI contract.

UPDATE: Sorry, getting familiar to BBS - only saw 1st few postings. Good to know the deedback does work.
Still have Q re: Aaronson law Firm.

Last edited:

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
My lastest information from DRI

The last notes on your account show the copy of correct documents were sent for approval on 1/11/16. I am aware they are far behind in the process, they have been submerged with requests, please allow them to time needed to make sure all legal transfer in done correctly.

Thank you for understanding,

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone been successful with a deedback with DRI. Lot of postings in Mar 2015, nothing since. Anyone with knowledge of Aaronson Law Firm, who says they can get us out of DRI contract.

UPDATE: Sorry, getting familiar to BBS - only saw 1st few postings. Good to know the deedback does work.

why would you still have questions about an upfront fee law firm when you have discovered a simple and cheap way to give your interval back to DRI?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My guess is Phelps has not paid off his contract.

gladtobeout

Reaction score
Free at last! ,Free at Last!

As of Feb 1, 2016, my checks finally cleared the bank, I have NO account listed anymore with Diamond, I only wish I had never bought ANY timeshares with anyone, EVER !!! The very best of luck to all of you who are still trapped in the endless loop, may an escape door open for all of you soon. I suspect the decades of trickery and abuse is finally finding an ear in the courts around the world, and the timeshare industry is moving to avoid a crushing court action against them all.

Drfos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Island Links, Hilton Head
Does DRI now have a relationship with Island Links resorts?

I would love to "deedback" my TS to Island Links in Hilton Head SC. It seems that there Is some type of relationship between these 2 groups. Can anyone speak to this?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
DRI Keeps Sending Bills Even Though They Accepted Our Deedback In December 2014.

The duly signed & witnessed deed turning over our EEY ownership to a DRI entity was recorded in Orange County FL in December 2014.

Mox nix.

In November 2015 they billed us for 2016 maintenance fees. I called to remind'm the unit belongs to them, not us, & they need to get their billing records in sync with their ownership records. I even wrote dates, deed book numbers, page numbers, & document numbers of the recorded deed on the bill & sent it back to facilitate their records correction process.

Mox nix.

In February 2016 they billed us again for 2016 maintenance fees + late fee & interest. So I photocopied the old bill with the deedback information on it, wrote the same information on the more recent bill & photocopied that, & also photocopied the recorded deed showing the unit belongs to DRI, & sent all that back to DRI addresses in Orlando FL & Las Vegas NV.

By me, it's DRI's problem & not mine. However that may be, I suppose it's possible that the situation could go on uncorrected to the point that they'll eventually try to ding my credit rating over it. So I'll keep on doing what I can from the end to get'm to correct their records & quit sending me bills.

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I would love to "deedback" my TS to Island Links in Hilton Head SC. It seems that there Is some type of relationship between these 2 groups. Can anyone speak to this?

Do you get your bill from DRI or Reba Management? If you have a DRI unit (there are some but most are not) contact DRI and see if you qualify under this program.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and if not, contact your HOA at the resort and ask!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
The duly signed & witnessed deed turning over our EEY ownership to a DRI entity was recorded in Orange County FL in December 2014.

Mox nix.

In November 2015 they billed us for 2016 maintenance fees. I called to remind'm the unit belongs to them, not us, & they need to get their billing records in sync with their ownership records. I even wrote dates, deed book numbers, page numbers, & document numbers of the recorded deed on the bill & sent it back to facilitate their records correction process.

Mox nix.

In February 2016 they billed us again for 2016 maintenance fees + late fee & interest. So I photocopied the old bill with the deedback information on it, wrote the same information on the more recent bill & photocopied that, & also photocopied the recorded deed showing the unit belongs to DRI, & sent all that back to DRI addresses in Orlando FL & Las Vegas NV.

By me, it's DRI's problem & not mine. However that may be, I suppose it's possible that the situation could go on uncorrected to the point that they'll eventually try to ding my credit rating over it. So I'll keep on doing what I can from the end to get'm to correct their records & quit sending me bills.

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

I'm sort of counting on our last week eventually ending up in collections. The paperwork was received by DRI on Dec. 28th and the check cashed in January. In preparation I've saved all the correspondence, dating back to August, to send if necessary.

They have not been real organized with this program. I'm assuming it's becoming a nightmare for the individual HOA's.

LaLaLand

Reaction score
Update

We just returned from our yearly Christmas trip to Cabo Azul...aside from last year due to hurricane Odile. We avoid the "owner update" presentations because we know/believe them to be just sales pitches. This time seemed to be presented differently...as a short 55 minute update on what's new at the resort since the hurricane.

Big mistake. Apparently, all the BS we were sold (for $20,000) when Diamond first took over Cabo Azul is not really the case any longer. I have five separate MGV contracts purchased separately from the secondary market, and at the time right before the change, we were sold that adding 5k Diamond Club points (for the $20k) would convert all of our MGV points to Diamond, yearly. Sounds great, right? All are now legit, and we are Gold, and awesome!

Except that is not the case. Those points were apparently "converted" but not "upgraded." So they renew yearly, at a Diamond point level (some thousands of amount of points vs the hundreds for MGV), but that they are still MGV points and we are liable to MGV if they go bankrupt (again?), and levy some special assessment. Great. But we can get this special, one-time opportunity, since we haven't done the presentation again since then. For $11k we will be all set! But wait, you have to pay your MGV MF in advance (due to the way MGV gives points and bills MF over 8 quarters after giving the points?). For another $5k. Nope. Then the hard sell. Then the "closer" who will let us lock in that "special" pricing for 18 months. SO was so angry by that point that we just walked out. Second day of our trip, which was pretty much effectively ruined by this whole situation.

Came home, found this forum and thread via searching, and have sent the email off to Loss Mitigation today. Cancelled all 2016 MF payments. We'll eat the $20k that apparently did nothing for our MGV points and chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned.

Really appreciate all of the information and input from users on this thread!

I just want to update all that are still trying to make this happen. I didn't send the email to Loss Mitigation until after our ruined Christmas trip (Dec 27). I also immediately cancelled my scheduled payments for Q1 2016 MF. Figured I would deal with that if/when they forced me to. Got the auto email with the ticket number immediately, and then nothing. I emailed once or twice a week, every week, and then this past Saturday (Feb 6) opened the mailbox to 5 Mutual Release Agreements for my 5 MGV contracts. No release for my Cabo Collection?! The points I actually bought FROM Diamond?

Called the number in the letter, which goes directly to Debbie in Inventory take back (after the usual menu options), and she said that one must have gotten missed, that she would email the woman who prepared all of our docs and indicate that we want that one included as well. She said that one could/would be emailed to us, after approval, probably by Wednesday of this week.

In regard to the MF for 2016, I got one call from Diamond in the first week of January about past due fees and told them that I was dealing with Loss Mitigation. Rep said, "Oh, ok. Seems like you may be eligible for that." and they never called again. And I have not paid 2016 MF, and nowhere has anyone asked that I do so. Just the $250 per contract transfer. Which burns me, but whatever it takes to get out of this mess!

Reaction score
Following up from my initial post on 01/26...

1. We sent our first email on January 5th, 2016, and received the ticket number.
  2. After no follow-up, I called on January 21, 2016, and Debbie helped me get the ticket assigned a "high priority."
  3. Again, silence. Called now (02/09/2016). Debbie said it was assigned on 01/26/2016, and should have a decision made within two weeks of that date.
  4. Based on how I look at the calendar, that means today... So, I will call back again later this week.

For anyone searching: the contact number 877-497-7521 (option 1 English & then 3) is direct for Loss mitigation.

In other news, thanks to you all, I'm starting the Ovation process for the Wyndham ones that our Mom owned, too. So thankful to have found this forum!

lleoni10

Reaction score
Deed paperwork

I finally received documents in the mail to surrender my deed and I have a question regarding the paperwork. I obviously don't wanna screw this up and have to wait longer or do it again. A page that says "special warranty deed" has two areas at the top that need to be filled in. One says "Consideration: $____" and under it says "Tax Map No:___". I have no idea what this means or if it is even for me to fill out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

DONCOOK99

TUG Member
Reaction score

Phelps is fully paid up. Had not received a response in 3 weeks from deedback request, so looked at other options. If Aaronson can get money back it may be worth that effort. I have since received email response from deedback request, so ....????????

monsoonmadnes

Reaction score
DRI Hell

Hoping to be able to utilize the deed buyback program .. we did send an email. Unfortunately, between my wife's cancer returning and a 20K loss in income, just can't afford this madness anymore.

Will keep everyone posted. Thankful I found this site!!

LaLaLand

Reaction score
I just want to update all that are still trying to make this happen. I didn't send the email to Loss Mitigation until after our ruined Christmas trip (Dec 27). I also immediately cancelled my scheduled payments for Q1 2016 MF. Figured I would deal with that if/when they forced me to. Got the auto email with the ticket number immediately, and then nothing. I emailed once or twice a week, every week, and then this past Saturday (Feb 6) opened the mailbox to 5 Mutual Release Agreements for my 5 MGV contracts. No release for my Cabo Collection?! The points I actually bought FROM Diamond?

Called the number in the letter, which goes directly to Debbie in Inventory take back (after the usual menu options), and she said that one must have gotten missed, that she would email the woman who prepared all of our docs and indicate that we want that one included as well. She said that one could/would be emailed to us, after approval, probably by Wednesday of this week.

In regard to the MF for 2016, I got one call from Diamond in the first week of January about past due fees and told them that I was dealing with Loss Mitigation. Rep said, "Oh, ok. Seems like you may be eligible for that." and they never called again. And I have not paid 2016 MF, and nowhere has anyone asked that I do so. Just the $250 per contract transfer. Which burns me, but whatever it takes to get out of this mess!

Further update: Received the final Release Agreement for the Cabo Diamond points. All contracts have been notarized, fees included, and delivered to Diamond in LV. No one has said anything about the fact that we have paid no MF for 2016, which in my mind is a wash for the 6 transfer fees of $250 ea.

Will wait for all to clear, but seems that happily we are done with this shady sh*t :whoopie:

lleoni10

Reaction score
Further update: Received the final Release Agreement for the Cabo Diamond points. All contracts have been notarized, fees included, and delivered to Diamond in LV. No one has said anything about the fact that we have paid no MF for 2016, which in my mind is a wash for the 6 transfer fees of $250 ea.

Will wait for all to clear, but seems that happily we are done with this shady sh*t :whoopie:

Did you have a section on your paperwork that said "Consideration $"? I need to fill out my papers and get them notarized but am unsure what this part means. I was hoping you could help me out.

stratojet

Reaction score
Thanks to this forum we were able to turn our DRI 17,500 points back to them. It all went rather smoothly and was done this past Dec. So for those wondering, hang in there. While some are saying it's taking them a long time ours was done in about 6-7 weeks. As others have said it's a great relief to be done with DRI. We originally were with Sunterra.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Thanks to this forum we were able to turn our DRI 17,500 points back to them. It all went rather smoothly and was done this past Dec. So for those wondering, hang in there. While some are saying it's taking them a long time ours was done in about 6-7 weeks. As others have said it's a great relief to be done with DRI. We originally were with Sunterra.

I'll go out on a limb and assume you had trust points. It seems as if trust points are pretty simple. Deeded weeks, on the other hand, appear to be a PIA to get transferred. We started the process back in August. So far one deed has been transferred over. They've cashed the check on the second week but my account still shows us as past due on it's MF's. They'll update/close our account eventually and I haven't received any calls looking for money on an overdue account so I'm not overly concerned........yet.