• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

State declines to fund half of $10M [Ka'anapali] beach restoration [MERGED]

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It cost Hono Koa about $1 million to build a retaining wall very deep and thick, to keep the water for continually eroding the old rock wall that held up for many years. We are just a small resort of 27 units, and the overall cost to each week owner was $500 total. We own 3 weeks so paid $1,500 total for the wall. Worth the cost and we watched it being constructed and talked to the engineer in charge of the construction. He said the wall will never give out. I believed him after seeing the depth and width of it.

So I am saying I absolutely agree that $10 million is nothing to replace that sand. I am sure there are implications for removing sand from one place and putting it elsewhere, however.

Our situation was very different in that Hono Koa is 40 feet to the water and would suffer structural damage that would be devastating to owners.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
I took a few pictures of how eminent it is that MOC will soon be loosing the sidewalk adjacent to the marketplace and pool lounge area… and that’s just one area. I’ll include them in a couple days after my return. I noticed that there are other threads on this subject, one dating mack to 2019. Perhaps they can be merged.

Here’s what I saw in today’s paper:

Property owners need to be heard as much or more than those with no direct connection.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Property owners need to be heard as much or more than those with no direct connection.
The thing is, the property owners don't own the actual beaches in Hawai'i, which are considered a public resource.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
But they are directly affected by them, to the point of having their buildings undermined.
They still don't own it themselves, and so, from a State of Hawaii legal standpoint, shouldn't have more say than the rest of the public that does. There are a lot of concerns about what that type of sand-pushing does to the nearshore reefs and other sea life. In addition, this is primarily done to benefit these private interests, but often at the expense of the public. While technically open to the public, these beaches are a little harder to access for the public than for resort guests. Where does the sand get pushed from? Often, from other areas that are more easily accessible to the non-resort-guest public. And even when it doesn't, onshore/nearshore beach buildup to affect sand placement can exacerbate erosion in other areas nearby but not directly fronting the project location. Beach management can be a very contentious issue in Hawaii.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
[DELETED: political]

Last edited by a moderator: