• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

State declines to fund half of $10M [Ka'anapali] beach restoration [MERGED]

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
After hearing community opposition to a $10 million beach restoration and berm enhancement project in Kaanapali, the state Board of Land and Natural Resources on Friday pulled back from offering half the funding for the project.

The seven-member board voted unanimously against entering an agreement with the Kaanapali Operators Association Inc. for the funding of the project at Hanakaoo.

If the memorandum of understanding had been approved during the board meeting on Friday, KOA would have paid around $5 million for the work and the state would have paid for the rest, but BLNR members agreed that it wasn’t the best use of taxpayer money.
Board Chairperson Dawn Chang said the Department of Land and Natural Resources’ mission is “not to protect private property,” but rather to protect and preserve the public trust.
“Five million for this kind of effort is a lot of money and it’s public resource money for arguably a private endeavor,” Board Member Kaiwi Yoon added. “And I agree with chair, you know, we can do better in protecting public spaces as opposed to private spaces.”

source
I wonder if this means the entire project is now DOA. I get why there's local opposition to this, but would also still like to see a path forward. I'd also love to see the pathway in front of the Ali'i repaired, but seeing as how they're (the resort) under no obligation to do anything, I imagine that it won't get fixed, which would be a shame. Personally, I'd think repairing it would benefit them and everyone else.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I saw this on my news feed, personally i think this is short sighted and a bad decision. But I don't get a vote.

Hopefully they can reach an agreement to allow this to move forward and not just be fully blocked. Maybe the Kaanapali Operators association need to pay for more or even all of the project. Not sure about that, but I think that would be better than just allowing the beach to disappear.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
“Five million for this kind of effort is a lot of money and it’s public resource money for arguably a private endeavor,

Perhaps if the KOA pays for 100%, they could then just make the beach private?

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, I have to think a lot of this is a hit at tourism more than anything. If this were another beach that had fewer resorts, I imagine they’d have a different opinion.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We personally think this was a great Decision by the State Board of Land and Natural Resources. Now if we can just get Oah'u County from constantly granting exceptions to allow repair and expansions of Sea Walls especially for the Rich and Famous i.e. the Obama Estate.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
“Five million for this kind of effort is a lot of money and it’s public resource money for arguably a private endeavor,

Perhaps if the KOA pays for 100%, they could then just make the beach private?
They can't make it completely private. Per Hawaii state law the public has a right of access along the beaches and shorelines in the State situated below the “upper reaches of the wash of the waves.” (HRS §§ 115-4, 115-5, Revised 2010).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They can't make it completely private. Per Hawaii state law the public has a right of access along the beaches and shorelines in the State situated below the “upper reaches of the wash of the waves.” (HRS §§ 115-4, 115-5, Revised 2010).
I understand what the law states, but the state seemed to indicate that was "arguably a private endeavor". If that is the case, and they want KOA to pay for it all, then they can certainly pass an additional law to make that stretch of beach 100% private.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I understand what the law states, but the state seemed to indicate that was "arguably a private endeavor". If that is the case, and they want KOA to pay for it all, then they can certainly pass an additional law to make that stretch of beach 100% private.

That would set a horrible precedent, basically granting those with money to purchase a beach. We have that issue in California and it’s not pretty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I agree with you IF they want KOA to pay for it all. The read I get on the decision is that they don't want it done at all. Even if KOA wants to pay for it they may not even get the permit to do it.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited by a moderator:

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
You obviously don't understand Hawaii politics. They allow an exemption for private beach ownership, especially just to benefit people who for the most part don't even live there, and natives (and quite a few non-natives) will be protesting in the streets, and it's a virtual guarantee that any politician who voted for it will lose their next election.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just can't get over the fact that some would rather see their beaches - ones that many locals use on a daily basis - erode and get worse. What happens if that leads to fewer visitors, which means less revenue? This all just reads like them biting off their nose to spite their face. As for the financials, $5m is a drop in the bucket. None of this was ever truly about the money.

WahooWah

Reaction score
I just can't get over the fact that some would rather see their beaches - ones that many locals use on a daily basis - erode and get worse. What happens if that leads to fewer visitors, which means less revenue? This all just reads like them biting off their nose to spite their face. As for the financials, $5m is a drop in the bucket. None of this was ever truly about the money.
Correct. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with virtue-signaling by the DLNR.

This decision is irresponsible and hostile to tourism, which in effect makes it hostile to residents as you pointed out. The powers that be need to overhaul the members of the DLNR.

Also want to add that I think dioxide's main point is that the DLNR and the State shouldn't have their cake and eat it too.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Not great news for Kaanapali Beach Erosion project. Halted.

Beat of Hawaii has reported inaccurately about this project in the past, and from reading the article, the writer appears very sympathetic to those who are demanding that the resorts on Kaanapali be torn down and moved back away from the beach. Given that this is Hawaii, it wouldn't surprise me if they did say "screw it let the resorts for the rich fall into the sea", but I would want to see reporting on this from a more respected journalistic source before drawing definitive conclusions.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Beat of Hawaii has reported inaccurately about this project in the past, and from reading the article, the writer appears very sympathetic to those who are demanding that the resorts on Kaanapali be torn down and moved back away from the beach. Given that this is Hawaii, it wouldn't surprise me if they did say "screw it let the resorts for the rich fall into the sea", but I would want to see reporting on this from a more respected journalistic source before drawing definitive conclusions.

I agree, Beat of Hawaii has been hit or miss. I still get their emails but I don't post them here as often as I did in the past.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beat of Hawaii has been hit or miss.
I'd argue that they're now fully miss or miss. They went from a valuable resource to a rant site. Most of the articles are doom and gloom, anti-tourist nonsense, and the commenters are even worse.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd argue that they're now fully miss or miss. They went from a valuable resource to a rant site. Most of the articles are doom and gloom, anti-tourist nonsense, and the commenters are even worse.
I would instead argue that Beat of Hawaii continues to be at the pro-tourism end of the Hawaii site spectrum. In a world in which the Hawaiian Legislature is choosing between bills that eliminate the Hawaii Tourism Authority or instead keep it and change it's mandate to "destination management" (a euphemism for reducing the number of visitors, ensuring that those who do visit pay more, and steering visitors to places like Waikiki, Kaanapali, and Ko Olina), Beat of Hawaii's position that tourism should continue to be allowed *is* pro-tourism.

To follow what the Hawaiian Legislature has been up to, you can peruse civilbeat's articles over the past few months for free or the Star Advertiser newspaper's website (but the Star Advertiser's articles are behind a paywall).

WahooWah

Reaction score
I would instead argue that Beat of Hawaii continues to be at the pro-tourism end of the Hawaii site spectrum. In a world in which the Hawaiian Legislature is choosing between bills that eliminate the Hawaii Tourism Authority or instead keep it and change it's mandate to "destination management" (a euphemism for reducing the number of visitors, ensuring that those who do visit pay more, and steering visitors to places like Waikiki, Kaanapali, and Ko Olina), Beat of Hawaii's position that tourism should continue to be allowed *is* pro-tourism.

To follow what the Hawaiian Legislature has been up to, you can peruse civilbeat's articles over the past few months for free or the Star Advertiser newspaper's website (but the Star Advertiser's articles are behind a paywall).

Yeah let's give the State of Hawaii more money and more power. Government always makes things better. Thanks for shutting down the hospital project and eliminating in person voting on the West side. It's the highest tax revenue generating district in the State. It's what it deserves.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I'll refrain from posting Beat of Hawaii in future. While I pay attention to HI, I'm not nearly as close as some for their news outlets to know which is best, accurate, etc. Sounds like they may not be reliable.

I guess time will tell what path (if any) move forward for beach restoration in Ka'anapali. As a MOC owner, I'm certainly interested in the tactical and longer term solution. Being there last July (during the large storms which eroded the beach) and again in October...it's definitely interesting to watch the power of Mother Nature and the cyclical sand movement up and down the beach with the seasons.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It's just odd that many places do not allow permanent repairs to the coastlines using tetrapods, riprap and concrete. It's also interesting that no one really cares if condo owners at Sugar Cove slowly replace washed out sand or if mitigation efforts are used to restore sand in Kahana but many people are opposed to restoring Kaanapali. Maybe the objection is more about haves and haves not. Most of the people that live in Maui can't afford to stay at the expensive resorts on Kaanapali. They likely resent the resorts and the tourist that occupy these resorts.

Bill

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Or maybe what causes the resentment is increased traffic, entitled tourists, and lack of access to the beaches? At least that's what bugs me during our tourist season in San Diego. ;)

There are two very different constituencies here, but only one of them votes for the elected officials, so you all know how this is probably going to turn out. The only vote that a tourist gets is with their vacation dollars.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Or maybe what causes the resentment is increased traffic, entitled tourists, and lack of access to the beaches? At least that's what bugs me during our tourist season in San Diego. ;)

There are two very different constituencies here, but only one of them votes for the elected officials, so you all know how this is probably going to turn out. The only vote that a tourist gets is with their vacation dollars.
This is an issue in many resort areas where locals and tourists have a love-hate relationship. As a part-time property owner in Hilton Head Island, I see the obnoxious way many tourists behave while on vacation, but I also recognize that HHI would not have the quality of amenities it has without tourism.

I think the difference in Hawaii is that state is home to a lot of more activist environmental interests who don’t really care about the economic consequences. They are a single issue constituency, they make a lot of noise, and they wield a lot of power. On Maui, they literally are advocating for the eventual implosion of all the hotels and condos on Kaanapali. While that may make sense from their single issue perspective, who is going to pay the economic cost of that? Compared to that enormous cost, $5 million is insignificant.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I think it is probably cultural activists that have a greater influence to be honest.