• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood - Split L/O at Home Resort and Stay 12 Days in Premium Side

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying at Westin Kierland and had an Owners Survey (sales pitch) this afternoon. I wanted to check something that we were told with others on this board. We own a 2 BR L/O Platinum at Kierland. We were told that during the home resort reservation period that we could reserve the Premium side of the L/O and then add on 5 more days (pro-rated value of the smaller side) onto that reservation so that in effect we would have a 12 day reservation in a Premium size 1 BR. This is instead of splitting the unit and having to switch units from the Premium to a smaller unit the second week. I can't find anything in the owners guide that talks about this, but then I didn't find anything that even said you could split the unit and go back to back weeks in different size units. Has anyone done this or heard of this? I will definitely find out tomorrow when I call owner services to try to extend the reservation. I already have the Premium side reserved for next year and they said that they would set up the reservation for the second side and I should just call for a confirmation number tomorrow.
Thanks,
Doug

PS - They are still offerring the 'grandfather' previous resale purchase with any minimum purchase from the developer, but $18K for a Lagunamar studio (44K staroptions) didn't appeal to us considering that is only somewhat less than what we paid last year for our 2 BR Plat L/O at Kierland resale.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I didn't think this could be done, as you would be using StarOptions to do this. It is my understanding that from 8-12 months out you can only reserve what you own--which in this case is a week in a 2 bedroom LO. So you can reserve 1 week in the whole 2 bedroom, or 1 week in either half. After 8 mos, you could use options to get 12 days in the one bedroom premium. Anyone else know differently?

Glorian

TheUnitrep

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug --

Glorian is correct. You can't book extra nights in the same side of a L/O until the owner preference period expires (8 months prior to check-in)

Jerry

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I can't find anything in the owners guide that talks about this, but then I didn't find anything that even said you could split the unit and go back to back weeks in different size units. Has anyone done this or heard of this?

Yep - that's what we do. First week in the studio and 2nd week in the 1 bdm. We reserved the first week at 12 mos. and at the same time made an "owner's courtesy" reservation for the 2nd week, and owner's services put it in the system before the office opened exactly 7 days later, so we didn't have to call again. We used both sides of the same 2 bdm. lock-off.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Yep - that's what we do. First week in the studio and 2nd week in the 1 bdm. We reserved the first week at 12 mos. and at the same time made an "owner's courtesy" reservation for the 2nd week, and owner's services put it in the system before the office opened exactly 7 days later, so we didn't have to call again. We used both sides of the same 2 bdm. lock-off.
Same here - this is a SVO selling point for 2Bd LO. 1 week + 1 week for 1 MF

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with owner services. They did offer last week to do the 'courtesy reservation' for the second week of the lock off, and they did have the confirmation number for that reservation when I called in this morning. Then I asked about extending the Premium 1 BR reservation by 5 days instead of changing to the smaller side of the L/O as the sales guy had told us we could do yesterday during the home reservation period, and sure enough they said we could not do that until the 8 month window opened. They did say we could call back then and modify the reservation. If we do that do we slide down the list in terms of location preferences at this site or does priority still go by when the first reservation was placed (not withstanding elites, etc.)?
Thanks for the quick feedback. Not the first time that we got more accurate info from people on this board then from one of the sales people.
Now off to see the Cubs play on this sunny 90 degree day.
Doug

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now off to see the Cubs play on this sunny 90 degree day.
Doug

It's always best to catch the Cubs in the Spring while there is still hope for a championship season... :D

(Sorry, Cardinals fan here - could not resist!)

Enjoy your trip. I wish I was there (except for the Cubs part).

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying at Westin Kierland and had an Owners Survey (sales pitch) this afternoon. I wanted to check something that we were told with others on this board. We own a 2 BR L/O Platinum at Kierland. We were told that during the home resort reservation period that we could reserve the Premium side of the L/O and then add on 5 more days (pro-rated value of the smaller side) onto that reservation so that in effect we would have a 12 day reservation in a Premium size 1 BR. This is instead of splitting the unit and having to switch units from the Premium to a smaller unit the second week. I can't find anything in the owners guide that talks about this, but then I didn't find anything that even said you could split the unit and go back to back weeks in different size units. Has anyone done this or heard of this? I will definitely find out tomorrow when I call owner services to try to extend the reservation. I already have the Premium side reserved for next year and they said that they would set up the reservation for the second side and I should just call for a confirmation number tomorrow.
Thanks,
Doug

PS - They are still offerring the 'grandfather' previous resale purchase with any minimum purchase from the developer, but $18K for a Lagunamar studio (44K staroptions) didn't appeal to us considering that is only somewhat less than what we paid last year for our 2 BR Plat L/O at Kierland resale.
"grandfather" is another term for requal? is this true?

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I asked about extending the Premium 1 BR reservation by 5 days instead of changing to the smaller side of the L/O as the sales guy had told us we could do yesterday during the home reservation period, and sure enough they said we could not do that until the 8 month window opened. They did say we could call back then and modify the reservation. If we do that do we slide down the list in terms of location preferences at this site or does priority still go by when the first reservation was placed (not withstanding elites, etc.)?

Basically, you would be cancelling your original reservation and making a new one with StarOptions. So I believe in this case, you would lose your right to a particular view (assuming you own OV or OF).

Glorian