• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood newbie needing a little help

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing (resale of course) a starwood TS. I having been reading this forum for a while but still have no idea of what the better resorts are as far as trading power. I have been watching eBay & tug classifieds & see a couple on the classifieds right now that could be possibilities. One is a 2 lo @ mission hills, the other is 2 @ vistana lakes units. The problem with vistana is we will probably never return to Orlando, we are beach & mntn people, not so much Disney. However, I would primarily want to trade into HI, so maybe home resort is not so important? Vistana floats 1-52, mission hills says float wk 32-32.
Also, I'm not completely clear on how important mandatory / voluntary is, what it is, or if it matters buying resale?
TIA

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
ETA

I only have experience dealing with points (Wyndham & RCI) so weeks is going to be a learning curve. :)

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Trading power will be the same whether you buy from Starwood or resale.

You should read the sticky at the top of the Starwood board for the intricacies between mandatory and voluntary resorts; these differences are major and central to your decision (note: there is no wrong answer, just different approaches).

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
If you buy a mandatory resort, you will have more trading power using StarOptions at SVN resorts than you ever will trading thru II without them. If you don't care about going to SVN resorts like St John or Harborside, than it doesn't matter as much.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If you buy a mandatory resort, you will have more trading power using StarOptions at SVN resorts than you ever will trading thru II without them. If you don't care about going to SVN resorts like St John or Harborside, than it doesn't matter as much.

Comparing SVN StarOption exchanges to Interval exchanges is like comparing apples to oranges. My platinum Kierland one bedroom unit (small side; 67100 StarOptions) will usually get me a WKORV studio using its Staroptions whenever I want to go to Maui, but I can sometimes get a two bedroom WKORV unit for it on an Interval instant exchange, although not with the same level of certainly.

OP is considering WMH or SVR, both of which are voluntary and both of which will trade similarly in Interval. A mandatory resort (e.g. Kierland) bought resale will provide both the apple and orange types of trades I reference, but at a much higher price point. OP should initially decide which type of trading will work best. OP may also wish to consider buying on Maui if that is where he wants to go because there is never a view guarantee with a trader.

(Note: I would avoid WMH as a Maui trader because WMH has high MF's.)

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

I am wanting to trade primarily into HI, probably mainly Maui & kuaui.

So are you saying that a 2br @ vistana will have the same trading power of wmh 2 br? (in II)?

If I buy voluntary will I be completely locked out of mandatory resorts? Or just a very difficult trade to get?

I have read the stickies, several times. I just don't want to buy one, & then wish I had chosen another. :bawl:

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading into A Starwood in Hawaii

Is going to be a crap shoot with either of these unless you can travel off season and can use a Studio unit.
The WMH Desert during the Summer is a very low demand and the Vistana is in a really over built area so attempting to trade up to Hawaii ( Maui) is a huge upgrade.
Kauai is easier, and might work.

I would suggest you look at a World Mark or a Summer beach week that trades with II to accomplish these trades.

Yes it will cost more, but you will have a chance.

Greg
I am wanting to trade primarily into HI, probably mainly Maui & kuaui.

So are you saying that a 2br @ vistana will have the same trading power of wmh 2 br? (in II)?

If I buy voluntary will I be completely locked out of mandatory resorts? Or just a very difficult trade to get?

I have read the stickies, several times. I just don't want to buy one, & then wish I had chosen another. :bawl:

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Interval gives Starwood units a preference when trading into other Starwood units. If OP owns WMH or SVR (or SDO, SBP, etc.), he will have preference when trading into WKORV or WKORVN on Maui or WPORV on Kauai.

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not necessarily hooked on either of these, those are just two I found on classifieds. What are the good resorts to buy into that trades well?

Last edited:

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone that owns mandatory give me an idea of how many star options it takes it takes to trade into wkorv in may? Usually one of the 1st 2 weeks of may is when we take our anniversary trips.

I'm looking at a couple mandatory resales, but don't know how many star options I'll need to trade into wkorv or similar in that time frame?

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
WKORV (actually all times of year in Hawaii have the same StarOption value):

2-br - 148,100 StarOptions

Large (premium) 1-br - 81,000 StarOptions

Small (deluxe) studio - 67,100 StarOptions

All amounts are for a 1-week stay. If you buy elsewhere at a mandatory resort, you can call to find out availability and reserve at 8 months from arrival.

Subject to availability, as long as your check-in or check-out day is a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, you can reserve at 8 months for a stay longer than a week. But, each extra day costs more StarOptions (weekdays less than weekend days). ... eom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Can someone that owns mandatory give me an idea of how many star options it takes it takes to trade into wkorv in may? Usually one of the 1st 2 weeks of may is when we take our anniversary trips.

I'm looking at a couple mandatory resales, but don't know how many star options I'll need to trade into wkorv or similar in that time frame?

There is a Staroption chart in Starwood Owner Resources at the top of the forum, under the Staroptions Sub-heading.

May is off-season and would be an easy exchange for you through II, with an inexpensive voluntary week, like SDO.

In a nutshell:

For Harborside and Westin St. John, owning Staroptions is a big advantage because they are more difficult trades.

For the 3 Hawaii resorts, and most other Starwood resorts, you can trade in through II with a voluntary resort, with the exception of holiday weeks, with proper advanced planning, and some flexibility.

That's because ALL Starwood owners (including voluntary owners) have first priority for Starwood to Starwood exchanges in II. Voluntary/Mandatory does not come into play with II trades - those categories are only used in Starwood.

The advantage of buying a voluntary resort, like SDO, instead of a mandatory resort, is that there is thousands of dollars difference in the upfront cost. A 1-52 floating 2 Bdm. at SDO will cost you in the range of $1,000 and a Plat week at WKV will cost you $10,000 - $15,000.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Subject to availability, as long as your check-in or check-out day is a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, you can reserve at 8 months for a stay longer than a week. But, each extra day costs more StarOptions (weekdays less than weekend days). ... eom

apparently, the OF WKORV villas do not have a Friday check-in...

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the advice! I'm still looking for the "perfect" fit! :) Still reading reading reading