• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood Internal Rental Service

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know Starwood will rent some resorts (ie: WMH) and NOT rent other resorts (ie: WKORV). Does anyone know what resorts Starwood will internal rent?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
IMNSHO, I can't imagine why anyone would let Starwood rent their week:

1. Starwood doesn't guarantee they will rent it - so you could just lose your week and get nothing in return.

2. Starwood keeps 50% of the proceeds PLUS any other costs, like travel agent fees.

Not a great deal...:annoyed:

BTW - Why do you think they won't rent WKORV weeks? When I log in at www.mystarcentral.com on my WKORV week, it talks about how to rent your week through Starwood, so one would assume you can. :confused:

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I'd like to read about more sucessful rental stories before I even think of renting either on my own or through Starwood. I just looked on 3 rental sites and I see over 95 rentals just for WKORV. I think that is a lot. I'm sure some are duplicates but still a lot. I looked at the Starwood site and I see tons of rentals there too. I'm not exactly sold that WKORV is good rental timeshare. Time will tell. Hopefully, those that do rent share their successes. Didn't DeniseM try to rent once and wasn't successful?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Didn't DeniseM try to rent once and wasn't successful?

Yes - and it was 4th of July week. I got lots of responses, but every single one of them wanted me to change the rental to meet their needs: less money, more days, less days, different check-in days, etc. After a long exchange with one person where I tried to explain why I couldn't make a lot of changes, the person called Starwood to find out if they would let her check in on a Monday (and of course on a rental directly from SW they would) and then she wrote me a snotty email about how unreasonable I was and that Starwood had told her I was wrong! :mad: Very frustrating and I didn't rent it. I found dealing with people who don't understand timesharing very annoying.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just wanted to confirm Duke's post about the WKORV not having an owner's rental program - I emailed them and they still don't.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'd like to read about more sucessful rental stories before I even think of renting either on my own or through Starwood. I just looked on 3 rental sites and I see over 95 rentals just for WKORV. I think that is a lot. I'm sure some are duplicates but still a lot. I looked at the Starwood site and I see tons of rentals there too. I'm not exactly sold that WKORV is good rental timeshare. Time will tell. Hopefully, those that do rent share their successes. Didn't DeniseM try to rent once and wasn't successful?

I am in the process of renting the studio-side of our WKORV OF Deluxe for 2007 (in Sept) - just started. I have a renter, and an agreement in place. I will let all know the outcome when it becomes a reality.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am in the process of renting the studio-side of our WKORV OF Deluxe for 2007 (in Sept) - just started. I have a renter, and an agreement in place. I will let all know the outcome when it becomes a reality.

That would be great... Also, how did you advertise? How many responses did you get before you found a renter? How many days did you advertise before you found a renter? I'd love to hear about it...

Last edited:

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just wanted to confirm Duke's post about the WKORV not having an owner's rental program - I emailed them and they still don't.

So... how do they have all those rentals on their website? Did Westin buy units to rent out themselves?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So... how do they have all those rentals on their website? Did Westin buy units to rent out themselves?

Nope - any unit that is converted to StarPoints, or still owned by the developer, goes in Starwood's rental pool and not in the owner exchange pool. Only weeks converted to StarOptions go into the Owner's Rental pool. That's how Starwood generates funds to cover the cost of Starpoints, and cover the MF's on weeks that are not sold yet, and makes a lot of $$$! :D

Last edited:

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nope - any unit that is converted to StarPoints, or still owned by the developer, goes in Starwood's rental pool and not in the owner exchange pool. Only weeks converted to StarOptions go into the Owner's Rental pool. That's how Starwood generates funds to cover the cost of Starpoints, and cover the MF's on weeks that are not sold yet, and makes a lot of $$$! :D

Wow... Alot of people are converting their points... WOW... I'm surprised. Well, with all the rentals they have out their I can totally understand why they don't want to rent out owners units. I wonder if they ever rent them all (the ones converted from starpoints).

zinger1457

Reaction score
I contacted Starwood about renting my Westin Kierland week(s) during the Super Bowl next year. I reserved two weeks, the week before and during the Super Bowl. The person I talked to said they are very selective in the weeks that they will accept for rental. It has to be a high demand week and one they feel can get rented out. She did say that they shouldn't have any problem renting out the week during the Super Bowl but as Denise noted there are no guarantees. You also have to place the week in the rental program in the 8-12 month window, after that they won't accept it. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use SVO to rent it.

My thinking is that someone renting on their own would do well to get 50% of what Starwood would charge and you would have a much better chance renting through Starwood with their marketing machine behind you. The biggest down side for me to using Starwood is that you're not able to use the week even if it isn't rented. Maybe I'll take one for the team and see how it works out!

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest down side for me to using Starwood is that you're not able to use the week even if it isn't rented. Maybe I'll take one for the team and see how it works out!
You can still use or unit or try to rent it yourself if you think its not renting with starwood.

Q: If I change my mind and decide I want to use my week after I place it in the rental program, can I get it back?

A: If you decide to cancel your participation in the Rental Program, you must provide SVO Management with your cancellation request in writing at least 30 days prior to the check-in date of the weekly interval being rented. If your week has been committed to a renter, you will be unable to withdraw it from the Owner Rental Program

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)