• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood Hotels

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a Starwood vacation owner, an SPG Gold member and also have an Amex Platinum. Any suggestion on how to "utilize my status" to get lower Starwood hotel room rates?

Thanks.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
the best way is to check the owner's only rates on my starcentral. or so on starwood and try the 35% off or call and use the spg50 coupon's or use cash and points. and then take the lowest rate.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
SVN members get 10% off the lowest publicly available rates (except "starpick" rates) at all Starwood HOTELS (including the internet only pre-paid rates). To get this deal, log onto mystarcentral.com and click on the "Starwood Preferred Guest" folder along the top of the page, then page down to find a link to the 10% off hotel discount.

I should note that you can often get a better rate if you are a member of just about any trade organization (ABA, AMA etc.) .

SPG gold status isn't worth much, except I've had no trouble getting a guaranteed 4 PM late check-out at Starwood HOTELS whenever I've asked.

SVN members are also supposed to be able to get 35% off the nightly rate at SVN TIMESHARES, but I've never had any luck getting that rate, so it may just be a myth.

Good Luck and Welcome!

-nodge

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
SVN members are also supposed to be able to get 35% off the nightly rate at SVN TIMESHARES, but I've never had any luck getting that rate, so it may just be a myth.

On our last Maui trip, we rented 2 extra nights at the WKORV and got that rate - you have to call for it. I went through owner services. So anyway, at 35% off, it only cost us an arm, instead of an arm and a leg to rent.... :D

You get the BEST Starwood hotel rates...on Priceline! I once got the Sheraton Waikiki for less than $100 a night!

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd get a Starwood AmEx to earn more points (and save a lot of money compared to the Platinum AmEx fees). I 've found SPG's AAA/Automobile Association rates are usually lower than the rates without special discounts. Many corporate rates are good too, so if you work for a large company you can try to find their SET code for Starwood.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you spend alot of money on your amex card, there is a promotion to get 40000 starpoints if you spend $15000 in 6 months. it is the starwood amex thread.

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd get a Starwood AmEx to earn more points (and save a lot of money compared to the Platinum AmEx fees).

The family flys three or four a year for vacation so the Amex Platinum saves me much more $$ than the Starwood Amex would. The points earned on the Amex Platinum doesn't trade well into the Starwood system so I use them in other ways.

Thanks anyways.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
if you spend alot of money on your amex card, there is a promotion to get 40000 starpoints if you spend $15000 in 6 months. it is the starwood amex thread.

I can't find it - what is the name of the thread? THANKS!

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
R Chen-

If I read your last post correctly, you use your AMEX Platinum for plane tickets for your family. Unless you're flying Continental or United, you will do much better (like 25%) if you switch to the Starwood AMEX. 20,000 Starwood points will get you 25,000 miles - not even close to me. Of course, if you absolutely need CO or United, that's another story, but even there, you can redeem the Starpoints with a partner and get those flights, less any Elite benefits you may have with those airlines.

We've flown British Airways twice - once First Class and once Business, having turned our Starpoints to their partner, Cathay Pacific. The same tickets if redeemed directly with BA would have cost many more points. There is a lot to learn - you might try starting where I did at www.flyertalk.com.

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you need united airline, transfer starwood points to USAIR . I use USAIR to book United - I have to pay $15 transaction fees through operator.

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
R Chen-

If I read your last post correctly, you use your AMEX Platinum for plane tickets for your family. Unless you're flying Continental or United, you will do much better (like 25%) if you switch to the Starwood AMEX. 20,000 Starwood points will get you 25,000 miles - not even close to me. Of course, if you absolutely need CO or United, that's another story, but even there, you can redeem the Starpoints with a partner and get those flights, less any Elite benefits you may have with those airlines.

We've flown British Airways twice - once First Class and once Business, having turned our Starpoints to their partner, Cathay Pacific. The same tickets if redeemed directly with BA would have cost many more points. There is a lot to learn - you might try starting where I did at www.flyertalk.com.

I use Amex Platinum 2 for 1 (domestic and international) airline tickets when I fly with the family. There's 6 of us which requires LOTS of points to fly using points for 2+ trips per year. I found that I'm better off using the 2 for 1 program on the Amex Platinum. Also, as the family has grown, using points became too difficult because of all the various restrictions and rules. I typically fly on United primarily becuase San Francisco is a hub for them but I'm not loyal to any particular airline.

Last edited:

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back to the subject thread....

I typically stay at Marriott hotels but since I finally closed on a (resale, yeah!) WKORV unit, I was hoping that this combined with the fact that I'm a SPG Gold member (via the Amex Platinum card; a resale purchase does NOT qualify for SPG Gold status) would get me better rates on the hotels. But I guess not.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The discounts SPG offers are mostly off rack rate, and they are often not available, so you can almost always do better on your own - what will get you better rates is reading flyertalk religiously, but unless you are a big business traveler, it might be too much trouble. It can be interesting, but they are a bit fanatical over there. (Sure glad we Tuggers aren't fanatical! :D ) If you ask a question that has already been asked, or is a basic newbie question, they get their panties in a wad, so I use the search function before I ask anything, and I mostly just read.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
denise- glad you feel the same way as i do when i go on flyertalk. they will bite your head off. i got berated for asking an innocent question. i did not know there was a thread on it already. oh my gosh!!!! we here at TUG seem much nicer and more willing to help.

BUT i have gotten some great information from them. which i have used.

rocky

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know, one really great way to get more Starpoints when you need them is to have an appropriate number of starpoints assigned to the SVO unit you own.

For example, say you could exchange your unit for 80,000 starpoints that used to get an owner 8 or so nights at a comparable hotel about a mile or so away.

Then SUDDENLY the same hotel with the very same bed, waste can, shower head and TV remote control was worth 2,000 more starpoints a night...... 16,000 more starpoints than before!!! But your newer, bigger unit with all the same stuff + a living room and full kitchen was still worth the same measley 80,000 points.....

Now fixing that obvious error in starpoints valuations would really be a great way to get more starpoints for owners that desperately need them for their own nefarious purposes.