• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starting to plan the 1st trip to Hawaii

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I absolutely would not go to Molokai for a first trip. It has limited resources, and no tourist infrastructure.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I absolutely would not go to Molokai for a first trip. It has limited resources, and no tourist infrastructure.

I agree.

Although I adored Molokai on our one, and so far only, visit there, I don't think I'd want it to be the first island I experienced. And since we were there Molokai Ranch has closed which leaves even less tourist infrastructure.

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree.

Although I adored Molokai on our one, and so far only, visit there, I don't think I'd want it to be the first island I experienced. And since we were there Molokai Ranch has closed which leaves even less tourist infrastructure.

I wasn't suggesting Molokai, just pointing out every island has unique as well as common features.

I say again, review the kinds of things you like to do and rank them. We went to the Big Island on our first trip and have returned several times. However I went on the recommendation of a friend who as it turns out goes for very different reasons we do.

I like the Big Island for snorkeling, hiking, sightseeing, less crowded beaches, among other things.

Just know which ever island you pick it will be a great vacation

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Judith, as you can see from all these comments, everyone has an opinion about what works best for them, and the way they enjoy vacationing. Having someone tell you how you should vacation is a little like picking out a greeting card for someone else to give out. It's a tad odd, and not quite the right fit.

Which is why you need to decide how you want to see Hawaii. If you're interested in laying on the beach, enjoying peace and quiet, and staying away from crowds, there are plenty of places to go and enjoy. Just about any of the upscale resorts have lots of that sort of thing. Depending on the island, even some of the lesser-named timeshares have nice beach or pool areas to enjoy.

But if you want to get out and see the sites and scenery that makes Hawaii a very special kind of place, you have to decide which of those sites are important to you. If you want to see an active volcano, you have to be on the Big Island of Hawaii. If you want to see Diamond Head or Pearl Harbor, you have to be on Oahu. If you want to see the old whaling town of Lahaina, or experience the Road to Hana or the sunrise on Haleakala, you have to be on Maui. If you want to see the rainbows and taro fields of Hanalei, see "South Pacific's" Bali Hai, or experience the amazing scenery of Waimea Canyon (the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific") you have to be on Kauai.

There is no right answer, and no single trip to Hawaii will give you the full experience. You could easily spend months in Hawaii, and never see it all. That's why some of us keep going back time and again. Not only because there is something new around every corner, but the time of day, the time of year, and your frame of mind can make even the same experience feel like something completely new.

If I can make one suggestion, it would be to not limit your frame of mind to "one and only trip to Hawaii." Figure out what you want to see, and what it will take to do that. Then take your trip and enjoy the dickens out of your time there. If it's not enough, you can always make plans to return to see what you didn't see this time. The point of it all is to enjoy yourself. Everything else is just extra stress. And more than anything, a trip to Hawaii should be about NOT being stressed.

Enjoy yourself!
Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
If you like to see nice sunsets, sunset where the sun splashes into the ocean, don't go to Maui because the sun sets over Molokai and Lanai. We did see sunset on top of Haleakala which was amazing.

Best sunsets in Hawaii for us have been in Oahu at Ko olina, Turtle Bay, Waimea and Waikiki.

Kona is great for sunsets with many miles of shoreline to view. My favorite spot in Kona for sunset is on top of Mauna Kea.

Kauai has Poipu Beach which is great for sunsets. Hanalei Bay is really good for sunsets if its not raining.

I know it is hoaky but every one has to do at least one authentic Luau and have some poi. ;)

Bill

Rusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been to Maui many times and prefer it, especially the southwest areas like Wailea and Kihei. Great snorkeling, plenty of other things to do/look at. September/October is a perfect time to visit as crowds are down, the water is at its warmest and usually calm, the winter storms haven't started yet. No whales then, though. I went in March once, got 2 weeks of cold rainy weather, all there was to do was whale watch. No matter which island you choose, be sure to get the guide book Maui Revealed (for Maui), Kauai Revealed, etc. to take with you. Those are the best guides.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Well, I am starting the process. Hawaii is on my bucket list and we have a 20th anniversary next December so we decided it is now or never. Neither has been there so I have no idea where to go so this is what I am thinking. Not the big island - we are not the nightlife type (mid 60s) so quieter would be nice. Would love to be on the beach with a view of it, if possible. Would rent a car. We want to be close-ish to restaurants, bars, walking areas. We love to fish so beach fishing wold be nice or head boats too.

I was thinking Mid September - end of October - is that a good time to go? Probably 2 weeks. Would like 2 bedrooms but not a requirement - we just like the extra space - not smaller than 1 large bedroom though

I have heard Kauai is quiet but how about other places? How about Maui? I know one person that lives there so I'll check with her too. I know I sound like a novice but that is because I am when it comes to Hawaii.

Any and all suggestions would be great. I have good traders - summer Cape Cod 2 bedrooms. I usually get good trades with them and have a few in the bank. I'll appreciate any help and recommendations you have. TIA :hi::hi:

People not enjoying Maui or Kauai??? that is so sad...
North Kauai is simply beautiful and majestic in the summertime (no place on earth like it...) - seriously... it is bucket-list worthy. There is reason why so many movies use north Kauai as a setting

I agree with some folks: if you're only going to Hawaii once... give some consideration to seeing Waikiki and Pearl for a day. It's like visiting the US and not seeing NYC. It's a bustling city with traffic and people and touristy things though....not my cuppa.

Kauai, on the other hand, is a paradise of tropical beauty and majestic splendor. The beaches, the canyon, the cliffs... well, DavidnRobin hit it on the head. It seems to be from another time.

I think the North shore is great (seasonally) especially if you're hiking. But, it's less of the beach experience. Poipu is really a great beach spot, especially during slower season, as long as you know the weather patterns and can live with them. We're partial to Waiohai, but Point at Poipu and Luwai Beach Resort could be a great experience too (at lower cost/trade). Sunsets from Luwai are spectacular, close and daily :eek:.

Not sure if you have any military benefits, but there are a number of fabulous resources for those who have access in the islands as well.

Congrats on the anniversary and keep us informed on your trip!

frog4ever

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love reading what everyone says about visiting Hawaii. It gives me great ideas on what to do and not to do. I am already planning my 3rd trip, for Christmas 2017. We will be seeing Maui for the first time and returning to Waikiki for a few days.

Hubby wanted to do the Helicopter tour in Kauai and it was worth every penny. Kauai revealed tour book gave me several tour companies to look at. About $210 for each ticket with the company I choose. There were some discount tickets for $150 but had a ridiculous gas surcharge that made the ticket more expensive than the other companies. I would probably pick a different company- windows were very reflective. Kauai was great for us, very laid back and easy to get around by rental car. I did feel like we were in the car driving a lot. We stayed in princeville and took a snorkel trip from a RIB and did a scuba trip from a beach near princeville. We shared a shave ice every day, sometimes twice!

We added 3 days in Waikiki because the flight back to Cali was going to stop there anyway and it somehow it was a cheaper flight. We will do the same thing so we can take a photography tour again. We did a sunrise photo tour in the summer and want to do it during winter. I enjoy waikiki because it is walk-able, and lots of tours will pick you up there (snorkel trip, parasail, ect) but wouldn't want to stay there a whole week.

I don't mind sitting on the sand and relaxing but we want to see and experience different things on vacation. We'd like to go back to the big island and check out the observatory. I'd like to stay closer to the north part of the big island next time.

Kristy

Lansdowne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KoOlina, Sabal Palms, Manor Club, Desert Willow, Kaanapali South, Trust Points
Well, I am starting the process. Hawaii is on my bucket list and we have a 20th anniversary next December so we decided it is now or never. Neither has been there so I have no idea where to go so this is what I am thinking. Not the big island - we are not the nightlife type (mid 60s) so quieter would be nice. Would love to be on the beach with a view of it, if possible. Would rent a car. We want to be close-ish to restaurants, bars, walking areas. We love to fish so beach fishing wold be nice or head boats too.

I was thinking Mid September - end of October - is that a good time to go? Probably 2 weeks. Would like 2 bedrooms but not a requirement - we just like the extra space - not smaller than 1 large bedroom though

I have heard Kauai is quiet but how about other places? How about Maui? I know one person that lives there so I'll check with her too. I know I sound like a novice but that is because I am when it comes to Hawaii.

Any and all suggestions would be great. I have good traders - summer Cape Cod 2 bedrooms. I usually get good trades with them and have a few in the bank. I'll appreciate any help and recommendations you have. TIA :hi::hi:

We go every other year - traveling from the East Coast we usually stay 2 weeks. I prefer January/February because of the whale watching in Maui! We will be in Maui this February. Kauai is great but weather can be tough in the winter months. I am not a fan of the Big Island - if volcanos are flowing might be worth the trip but otherwise we are not fans! On your first trip you need to stop by Pearl Harbor - very emotional and sacred place. I find Honolulu to be like any big city in a warm climate - Miami with mountains. We own at Ko Olina and love it there since it is away from the crowds. Maui is by far our favorite - tons of stuff to do, a very wide variety of quality restaurant choices at several price points! The Kapalua Plantation course is one of the best US golf courses! We stay at the Starwood property - it has a shuttle which can be useful. Feel free to email me if you decide on going to Maui - we have a several restaurants we can suggest. Remember the climate in Hawaii is fairly consistent - there can be some real good air travel discounts - Hawaiian Airline is a good carrier.

cowboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might go to wizard publications web sight for the guide books for Kauai, Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island for ideas for whatever island you choose to visit. They have the very best ideas in my opinion for places to see and places to eat.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I lived on Oahu for 4 years. Patti visited Oahu before we met. We will probably never go back. Its true it has Waikiki, Diamond Head, Arizona Memorial, etc. But you can set up a day tour from any of the other Islands - fly out early morning, do Oahu, fly back in evening. We have visited Hawaii once. The VOG was bad on the Kona side but other wise it was a good trip. Nothing like flying over a Lava flow as it consumes a house. We have been to Maui many times and it is my favorite Island. We have driven all the way around the Island - one day around the Hana (east) end and the Kapalua (west) end another day. They were both fun drives but two rules always drive clockwise so you are on the inside and take your time with many of stops. We always make a a trip to the top of Haleakala for sunrise -which means getting up at 3am. So we do this our first morning when your time zones are off. It is gorgeous on average days and stunning on a good day.

Patti's favorite Island is Kauai. It is more laid back and rural. It can take forever to drive from one end of the Island to the other because single 2 lane Hiway. But it has a lot to offer. There is Hanalei, Waimea Canyon, Na Pali Coast, etc. An interesting way to see the Na Pali Coast is on a Zodiac out of Hanalei. You are exposed to the elements but you can go into the Sea Caves. It is a long trip back to Hanalei but we enjoyed it. Be prepared to get soaked and you have to hang on. Most folks take a Big Catamaran out of Eleele.

We are going back to Kauai for 3 weeks in September.

BoBird1314

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check Out: www.VisitorInfoHawaii.com; www.gohawaii.com ; www.visitmaui.com

If you are staying in the Kihei area, try to go to the Monkeypod in Wailea for their early happy hour. Even my Mom, who is in her 80's, found it pleasant and not too party like. Recommend their thin crust pizza, but especially the ravioli, which are wonderful. If you get some rain, the best nearby rainy day diversion that we found is the Maui Ocean Center at the harbor. If you are staying in the Lahaina area, the best place to eat out at a reasonable price that we found is Kimo's. Nice deck overlooking the water. Recommend the fish tacos. If you get some rain, the best nearby rainy day diversion that we found is the Whaler's Museam.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Check Out: www.VisitorInfoHawaii.com; www.gohawaii.com ; www.visitmaui.com

If you are staying in the Kihei area, try to go to the Monkeypod in Wailea for their early happy hour. Even my Mom, who is in her 80's, found it pleasant and not too party like. Recommend their thin crust pizza, but especially the ravioli, which are wonderful. If you get some rain, the best nearby rainy day diversion that we found is the Maui Ocean Center at the harbor. If you are staying in the Lahaina area, the best place to eat out at a reasonable price that we found is Kimo's. Nice deck overlooking the water. Recommend the fish tacos. If you get some rain, the best nearby rainy day diversion that we found is the Whaler's Museam.

Koolina also has a Monkeypod with a happy hour.

My two cents for those visiting Hawaii for the first time is a stay at the Marriott at Koolina. Just make sure you plan around the traffic when you venture out of the resort

judyjht

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW my head is spinning with all the info you folks shared. Thank you so much. I have to do some more research before we make any decisions. I'll let you know what we finally decide to do. There is lots on the internet to read too, as well as Trip Advisor. Thanks for all the suggestions! :wave:

judyjht

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well we have decided that Maui and Kauai will be the 2 weeks - I will request through RCI for either October or Early November but probably October. I thke the things I have read about Hanalei Bay Resort in Princeville, Kauai so I'll put a request in for that one. Any other GREAT onea in Kauai that I should request>

Denise mentioned somewhere that Haleakala on Maui was "Fab" but I don't see it in the RCI book. Anyone know anything about that one? I'll read the reviews over this weekend - since it will be -10 here in Maine!! YIKES!!!

Feel free to post or message me places to request and/or restaurants that are must go to places.

Thanks for all the advice. :banana:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I'll be on Kauai for a couple weeks in seven days. I start a thread the day I
Leave and I try to post pictures when I can. If you want to see something let
Me know and I'll try to post a picture.

ROSALIND7

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be on Kauai for a couple weeks in seven days. I start a thread the day I

Leave and I try to post pictures when I can. If you want to see something let

Me know and I'll try to post a picture.

Have fun slip , I know you and your DW will .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well we have decided that Maui and Kauai will be the 2 weeks - I will request through RCI for either October or Early November but probably October. I thke the things I have read about Hanalei Bay Resort in Princeville, Kauai so I'll put a request in for that one. Any other GREAT onea in Kauai that I should request>

Denise mentioned somewhere that Haleakala on Maui was "Fab" but I don't see it in the RCI book. Anyone know anything about that one? I'll read the reviews over this weekend - since it will be -10 here in Maine!! YIKES!!!

Feel free to post or message me places to request and/or restaurants that are must go to places.

Great to hear you're narrowing down your ideas. You'll have plenty to give you a super trip!

Haleakala is a mountain on Maui, not a resort. It's a spectacular place to see the sunrise. Being a warm coat - it gets mighty cold there. Read up on it.

Lots to plan for, and lots to do. Have fun!

Dave

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....

Congrats on your decision!!!! We had to also make that tough decision on what Islands to see this November for 10 days and decided on Oahu and Kauai!! Have fun on your trip and we be in Kauai Nov. 12-15th.... Maybe see you there:banana::banana: Dave

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Well we have decided that Maui and Kauai will be the 2 weeks

We are also taking our first trip to HI relatively soon (Summer 2017) and we decided on Maui as well. We anticipate that if we like it we will return every other year or so.

Regarding Haleakala:
http://www.nps.gov/hale/index.htm

judyjht

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave and BMW Guy!We are going in 2017-not this year.Where are you going to stay? You'll have to give me the scoop when you get back.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My next time in the islands is a two-week trip this coming October. I only have one timeshare remaining, so we're doing our first week in the military R&R hotel in Waikiki called the Hale Koa. It's right next door to the Hilton Hawaiian Village complex. I used to live on Oahu, so it's like going home for me.

The second week we'll be staying in our oceanfront unit at our timeshare at Kauai Beach Villas, right near Lihue on Kauai. (RCI code #3681) Five minutes to the airport, centrally located on the island, and a very relaxing place to stay. DeniseM owns multiple weeks there. She and I both think it's the best located timeshare on the island. Not fancy, but very comfortable, and has an amazing, deserted beach right outside the door. The Aqua hotel on the same property has an incredible swimming pool complex available to timeshare guests for a modest fee, plus bars and restaurants - so if relaxing is on the schedule, it's easy to do.

You're going to have a fine time. Just don't overplan your trip. Relaxing in between doing things is a lot of the fun of the experience. :)

Dave

judyjht

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK I think I know what I want to do for Kauai so now I just need RCI recommendations for resorts in Maui. I really want to be on the beach somewhere with a great view. Would love 2 bedrooms, if possible, but not mandatory. Would love to be able to be near restaurants & bars. We will have a car but would love to be able to walk around, if possible

Anyone have a recommendation? :wave:

lumpy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Marriott Maui in a one bedroom for two weeks for our 40th anniversary trip 3 years ago, that had plenty of room for the two of us and could sleep 4-6 people. They have a beautiful pool, nice hula show on Sunday night to watch, and whaler's village just walking distance up North on the beach sidewalk. That is on Ka'anipali beach and we walked by Hyatts, Sheraton's, and other semi Hi rise resorts, just search that beach name, to get all the resorts on it. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance and Lahaina just minutes away, dining and entertainment plenty there. Further south is Kihei and other beach areas also and plenty of smaller resorts there.
If you know someone who has in interval or RCI membership there are getaway weeks that you can get for reasonable, but not all resorts offer getaways, only certain ones.
We love Kauai, been there twice, staying at the Marriott in Lihui. It is a big resort but has a nicer laid back atmosphere and nice beach in a beautiful harbor. The island is very beautiful. You will have a great trip with lots of memories.