• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Started My New Job in Hawaii One Year Ago Today

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Thank You for the website. I really haven’t noticed any more in our area but we aren’t out late either. I do remember back in November and December the news was reporting some incidents were happening in broad daylight.

One thing I have noticed is more Police out walking around. Especially on Kalākaua. Now the beaches are closed again to sitting on the beach so there will be even less people there.

Well we usually don't walk around late at night either. But some of these incidents happened in the afternoon and early evening before 9 which is usually the latest we are out walking around except when we go to events which we can't go to now anyway. One of our concerns is the area around the #2 Bus Stop that we use frequently on the corner of Kalakaua and Ena or Kalakaua and McCully, right near where Kalakua and Kuhio split. We usually are on the Mauka side of Kalakaua going to events and on the Makai side of Kalakaua returning from events. While we usually go between 5-7 PM we could be returning as late as midnight.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Well we usually don't walk around late at night either. But some of these incidents happened in the afternoon and early evening before 9 which is usually the latest we are out walking around except when we go to events which we can't go to now anyway. One of our concerns is the area around the #2 Bus Stop that we use frequently on the corner of Kalakaua and Ena or Kalakaua and McCully, right near where Kalakua and Kuhio split. We usually are on the Mauka side of Kalakaua going to events and on the Makai side of Kalakaua returning from events. While we usually go between 5-7 PM we could be returning as late as midnight.

Yes, if you are getting back that late, I would have a concern also. I haven’t followed this long enough to know if it is actually an increase or not. I’m sure these incidents were happening in the past also. Honolulu and Waikiki are pretty big and urban.

It does seem that a lot of these incidents do involve older citizens as victims which is alarming. The best you can do is be as prepared and take all the precautions you can.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Congrats on 1 year full time in paradise! :cool:

(You got me beat I've only been at my company for 32 years... Could hit 50 if I stay a little past my full retirement age....yeah that's not going to happen. :LOL:)

Hawaii is going on lock down again? Bummer. The USVI is limiting the beaches on weekends, but not shutting them down. With very few tourists in Hawaii I would think there would be plenty of space to distance on the beach.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Congrats on 1 year full time in paradise! :cool:

(You got me beat I've only been at my company for 32 years... Could hit 50 if I stay a little past my full retirement age....yeah that's not going to happen. :LOL:)

Hawaii is going on lock down again? Bummer. The USVI is limiting the beaches on weekends, but not shutting them down. With very few tourists in Hawaii I would think there would be plenty of space to distance on the beach.

Thank You!!

It seems to be rare to have over 30 years at one company nowadays. I was planning on retiring at 62 but am now considering 60. We’ll see what happens.

Yes, Oahu is closing things that they said they are having trouble with people following the rules. You can go to the beach to go in the water but no lounging. The Mayor said they have been seeing too many large gatherings on the beaches not practicing social distancing

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thank You!!

It seems to be rare to have over 30 years at one company nowadays. I was planning on retiring at 62 but am now considering 60. We’ll see what happens.

Yes, Oahu is closing things that they said they are having trouble with people following the rules. You can go to the beach to go in the water but no lounging. The Mayor said they have been seeing too many large gatherings on the beaches not practicing social distancing
I retired with 38 years at the same company. And I wish I'd retired sooner. :D

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I retired with 38 years at the same company. And I wish I'd retired sooner. :D

If all goes well I’ll have the same amount as you.

I don’t hear too many people say the should have worked longer. :)

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Yes, if you are getting back that late, I would have a concern also. I haven’t followed this long enough to know if it is actually an increase or not. I’m sure these incidents were happening in the past also. Honolulu and Waikiki are pretty big and urban.

It does seem that a lot of these incidents do involve older citizens as victims which is alarming. The best you can do is be as prepared and take all the precautions you can.

We have stayed in Waikiki for over 1000 nights ove the last 12 years and have gone to downtown Honolulu at night up until 1:00 AM returning on the bus without ever having a problem. But that was the real Waikiki and Honolulu when there are lots of people out all the time. Lots of people on the bus. Lots of people Downtown for street feasts, bar crawls, Mardi Gras parties, First Fridays, ST. Patricks Day Parties. It is NOT the same now in Waikiki and Honolulu. While we miss being there, since it is really not there anymore we are not unhappy being home on Long Island safe and quite.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have stayed in Waikiki for over 1000 nights ove the last 12 years and have gone to downtown Honolulu at night up until 1:00 AM returning on the bus without ever having a problem. But that was the real Waikiki and Honolulu when there are lots of people out all the time. Lots of people on the bus. Lots of people Downtown for street feasts, bar crawls, Mardi Gras parties, First Fridays, ST. Patricks Day Parties. It is NOT the same now in Waikiki and Honolulu. While we miss being there, since it is really not there anymore we are not unhappy being home on Long Island safe and quite.

I guess there would be safety in numbers but I really haven’t heard anyone talking about crime so who knows.

Yes, those activities aren’t going on right now. We really don’t do much of that so it hasn’t affected us much. Beaches being closed, except being in the water sucks though.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess there would be safety in numbers but I really haven’t heard anyone talking about crime so who knows.

Yes, those activities aren’t going on right now. We really don’t do much of that so it hasn’t affected us much. Beaches being closed, except being in the water sucks though.

That is why I sent you the CrimeMapping website so you could see what crime is going on. Being in the car you are isolated, as we are on Long Island in the car when we go around so street crime is less of an issue.

Not only aren't those activities that I listed not going on there is no Symphony, Art Festival, Film Festivals at the Honolulu Museum, and Live Theatre Productions. Right now on Long Island we can do the same things that we can do in Honolulu NOTHING BUT SIT HOME. Except on Long Island we do have a private 1/2 acre of property with a built in pool to enjoy so we can actually do more than in Honolulu. Right now your place in Molokai looks so very attractive, I made a comment a few months ago on a thread that Waikiki doesn't look like Waikiki anymore, it is more like Molokai!!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is why I sent you the CrimeMapping website so you could see what crime is going on. Being in the car you are isolated, as we are on Long Island in the car when we go around so street crime is less of an issue.

Not only aren't those activities that I listed not going on there is no Symphony, Art Festival, Film Festivals at the Honolulu Museum, and Live Theatre Productions. Right now on Long Island we can do the same things that we can do in Honolulu NOTHING BUT SIT HOME. Except on Long Island we do have a private 1/2 acre of property with a built in pool to enjoy so we can actually do more than in Honolulu. Right now your place in Molokai looks so very attractive, I made a comment a few months ago on a thread that Waikiki doesn't look like Waikiki anymore, it is more like Molokai!!

We are definitely two different people that love Hawaii but for totally different reasons.

While Wisconsin was a beautiful place, I much more enjoy seeing the ocean and enjoying the natural beauty more. Taking a walk on the beach with my wife and enjoying the breezes and palm trees, that's good enough for me. While I could and did sit on my deck in Wisconsin, I much prefer the lanai with an ocean view watching people going by while I enjoy a book and some coffee.

While we go to concerts and museums and events, they are still fairly rare. Unless you count the street fairs on Kalākaua. We went to that about 5 times while they were having them.

I know you were tongue and cheek but Waikiki will never be like Molokai again. :D And that’s good, we have something for everyone. There are more dining choices on one block In Waikiki than the whole island of Molokai, even now.:D Most of the shops
are closed and it’s it the same.

Me still working definitely keeps us from doing other things, so does my wife’s health issues but we even like to go in short rides to see different sites and I much prefer that here to Wisconsin. My favorite time in Wisconsin was the fall. I may end out eventually missing that but not right now.

We definitely got lucky with our timing for this move. We are much happier being here, than being depressed on when we can return. As many of you know, it’s hard when you have been going somewhere every year once or twice a year and then you can’t for over a year or even worse two years.

Every couple weeks my wife still turns to me and says with a smile “We live in Hawaii”
:giggle:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are definitely two different people that love Hawaii but for totally different reasons.

While Wisconsin was a beautiful place, I much more enjoy seeing the ocean and enjoying the natural beauty more. Taking a walk on the beach with my wife and enjoying the breezes and palm trees, that's good enough for me. While I could and did sit on my deck in Wisconsin, I much prefer the lanai with an ocean view watching people going by while I enjoy a book and some coffee.

While we go to concerts and museums and events, they are still fairly rare. Unless you count the street fairs on Kalākaua. We went to that about 5 times while they were having them.

I know you were tongue and cheek but Waikiki will never be like Molokai again. :D And that’s good, we have something for everyone. There are more dining choices on one block In Waikiki than the whole island of Molokai, even now.:D Most of the shops
are closed and it’s it the same.

Me still working definitely keeps us from doing other things, so does my wife’s health issues but we even like to go in short rides to see different sites and I much prefer that here to Wisconsin. My favorite time in Wisconsin was the fall. I may end out eventually missing that but not right now.

We definitely got lucky with our timing for this move. We are much happier being here, than being depressed on when we can return. As many of you know, it’s hard when you have been going somewhere every year once or twice a year and then you can’t for over a year or even worse two years.

Every couple weeks my wife still turns to me and says with a smile “We live in Hawaii”
:giggle:

I knew we were different the first time we corresponded on TUG. Many weeks we go to a half a dozen concerts, shows, and festivals when we are in Honolulu. Sometimes we have a difficult time picking between 3 events on a particular day since there is so much we want to do.
I do count the Kalakaua street festivals which is similar to others that we go to in other local locations.

Yes I do like sitting on the Lanai and Walking by the Ocean better than being on Long Island and sitting by my pool and walking in my backyard. However, having to deal with the possible contaimination or other dangers of other people in a Condo, on the Street, in the Stores, on the BUS in Honolulu during this Pandemic is NOT worth the Lanai and Ocean.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I knew we were different the first time we corresponded on TUG. Many weeks we go to a half a dozen concerts, shows, and festivals when we are in Honolulu. Sometimes we have a difficult time picking between 3 events on a particular day since there is so much we want to do.
I do count the Kalakaua street festivals which is similar to others that we go to in other local locations.

Yes I do like sitting on the Lanai and Walking by the Ocean better than being on Long Island and sitting by my pool and walking in my backyard. However, having to deal with the possible contaimination or other dangers of other people in a Condo, on the Street, in the Stores, on the BUS in Honolulu during this Pandemic is NOT worth the Lanai and Ocean.

No doubt Waikiki is the place to be wanting to enjoy all it has to offer. Your situation is also different because you have the choice. I’m still working so with that We are glad we are here.

You have your condo and enough weeks to stay for months and then return anytime so I can see why that would be great for you.

As far as the virus, it does help not having all the people here. It’s not hard to social distance. Many areas are mandatory for masks or you can’t enter. The buses are that way too. Plus the busses are not as busy as they usually are. I know many people at work that take the bus and they always comment how empty they are. But, I understand some don’t want to take that risk and you can’t walk everywhere.

This is going to be a long road to recovery for Hawaii.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Slip, I've been following your move and think you've done it brilliantly! We're a few years into early retirement and have changed our minds a few times on where we want to settle down. Following you, DaveNV, and WinniWoman has been interesting. We thought we'd continue to travel extensively and take our time to pick a retirement homebase, but Covid-19 made our plans screech to a halt. You guys are my heroes!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Slip, I've been following your move and think you've done it brilliantly! We're a few years into early retirement and have changed our minds a few times on where we want to settle down. Following you, DaveNV, and WinniWoman has been interesting. We thought we'd continue to travel extensively and take our time to pick a retirement homebase, but Covid-19 made our plans screech to a halt. You guys are my heroes!

Thank You!

Still a few years from retiring but I am enjoying my time at work here. The people I work with are great.

In some ways I think we were pretty lucky knowing where we wanted to be. We did look into living abroad but in our research for us nothing compared to where we want to go but didn’t know if we could afford.

Then everything out of the blue with no planning all fell in line. We ended out loving Molokai and buying our condo and then 10 months later this job came open.

Take your time and enjoy the process of finding the place you two will love. I look forward to hearing about your adventures on the eventual decision you two will make.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Thanks!

In some ways I think we were pretty lucky knowing where we wanted to be. We did look into living abroad but in our research for us nothing compared to where we want to go but didn’t know if we could afford.

Then everything out of the blue with no planning all fell in line. We ended out loving Molokai and buying our condo and then 10 months later this job came open.

Take your time and enjoy the process of finding the place you two will love. I look forward to hearing about your adventures on the eventual decision you two will make.

Sorry to jump in, but I have to agree with you both. It's been quite a rapid journey for us, but like Slip, we knew where we wanted to be. It all happened rather quickly, but only because a perfect storm of opportunities fell into place like dominoes. (Or maybe more like Tetris pieces - nothing is the convenient shape of dominoes.) We've been investigating living in this part of the country (a large circle encompassing Southern Utah, Southern Nevada, Northwestern Arizona, and Southeastern California) for about 15 years. Over the last five years or so we'd narrowed it down to Southern Nevada, from the greater Las Vegas area to as far north as Mesquite. We were in Las Vegas two years ago, and Mesquite last year, looking at real estate, trying to figure out how we could make retirement here happen. This Spring it all fell into place, even though we weren't quite ready to pull the trigger. But my Mom's voice in my head kept telling me to put myself in the way of opportunity, and we did. (I always listened to my Mom.) The rest is now a very pleasant history.

Escrow on the sale of our Washington house is scheduled to close next week, and closing on the Mesquite house we bought will happen within two weeks after that. The owners of the rental house we're in have agreed to let us out of our lease here, when we're ready to move into the new house. The rental house is just a few blocks from the house we bought, so moving the final time will be much easier than before. So those dominoes/tetris pieces keep lining up perfectly. I am not looking to rock the boat. :D

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks!

Sorry to jump in, but I have to agree with you both. It's been quite a rapid journey for us, but like Slip, we knew where we wanted to be. It all happened rather quickly, but only because a perfect storm of opportunities fell into place like dominoes. (Or maybe more like Tetris pieces - nothing is the convenient shape of dominoes.) We've been investigating living in this part of the country (a large circle encompassing Southern Utah, Southern Nevada, Northwestern Arizona, and Southeastern California) for about 15 years. Over the last five years or so we'd narrowed it down to Southern Nevada, from the greater Las Vegas area to as far north as Mesquite. We were in Las Vegas two years ago, and Mesquite last year, looking at real estate, trying to figure out how we could make retirement here happen. This Spring it all fell into place, even though we weren't quite ready to pull the trigger. But my Mom's voice in my head kept telling me to put myself in the way of opportunity, and we did. (I always listened to my Mom.) The rest is now a very pleasant history.

Escrow on the sale of our Washington house is scheduled to close next week, and closing on the Mesquite house we bought will happen within two weeks after that. The owners of the rental house we're in have agreed to let us out of our lease here, when we're ready to move into the new house. The rental house is just a few blocks from the house we bought, so moving the final time will be much easier than before. So those dominoes/tetris pieces keep lining up perfectly. I am not looking to rock the boat. :D

Dave

Yes, when it’s working, don’t rock the boat.:)