• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Started My New Job in Hawaii One Year Ago Today

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Wow, it’s been a year already. Just re-upped our lease on our apartment for another year. Last year at this time I was counting down the days until my wife came. She arrived on August 29th. So she is closing in on a year here also.

If I had to do it over again, I would have tried to talk my wife into coming here when I did but she said she had things to do and finish out at work so she wouldn’t have anyway.

She admitted that she was really worried because of the time crunch but everything worked out great. Not one regret.

I was really relieved about the apartment because one of my main things was a short commute to work but I still wanted to be close to things for my wife. She has been here almost a year and she said she was checking around but she loves our location and anything else is either way more expensive or way to far for me to drive. So she was happy to resign for another year on the lease.

Today is my first anniversary for working here in Hawaii. I had a week to find a place before I started when I arrived last year. Time flies.

I’m at 36.5 years with one company. That seems rare these days and I definitely seem like the old guy now. People almost fall over when I tell them how long I have worked for Sysco. We’ll see if I make it to 40 years. :)

E883AA98-F026-4BBC-8D51-5E7BF58A9D8F.jpeg

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Jeff, sincere, heartfelt congratulations on a job very well done! I remember when you were just applying for that position, and wondering if you were doing the right thing. Obviously, it was a perfect decision. Hard to think it's been a year already! But you know what they say, "The worst day in Hawaii is still better than the best day somewhere else."

Wishing you a few more years of success with the company, and then a long and exciting retirement. As someone who is new to the retirement scene, let me tell you: It's worth every minute! I should have done this years ago. :D

Dave

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Wow, it’s been a year already. Just re-upped our lease on our apartment for another year. Last year at this time I was counting down the days until my wife came. She arrived on August 29th. So she is closing in on a year here also.

If I had to do it over again, I would have tried to talk my wife into coming here when I did but she said she had things to do and finish out at work so she wouldn’t have anyway.

She admitted that she was really worried because of the time crunch but everything worked out great. Not one regret.

I was really relieved about the apartment because one of my main things was a short commute to work but I still wanted to be close to things for my wife. She has been here almost a year and she said she was checking around but she loves our location and anything else is either way more expensive or way to far for me to drive. So she was happy to resign for another year on the lease.

Today is my first anniversary for working here in Hawaii. I had a week to find a place before I started when I arrived last year. Time flies.

I’m at 36.5 years with one company. That seems rare these days and I definitely seem like the old guy now. People almost fall over when I tell them how long I have worked for Sysco. We’ll see if I make it to 40 years. :)

View attachment 24553

I am so happy that you chose Waikiki with the walkability and things to do for your wife and you when you are off. You got there before the Coronavirus Pandemic which was great for you to experience the real Waikiki when it is "Waikiki". How different is it now from when you got there? One of the things that we are concerned about returning in addition to the Coronavirus spread is the uptick in crime since we don't get a car and either walk or take the bus when we go out which is usually all the time.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Jeff, sincere, heartfelt congratulations on a job very well done! I remember when you were just applying for that position, and wondering if you were doing the right thing. Obviously, it was a perfect decision. Hard to think it's been a year already! But you know what they say, "The worst day in Hawaii is still better than the best day somewhere else."

Wishing you a few more years of success with the company, and then a long and exciting retirement. As someone who is new to the retirement scene, let me tell you: It's worth every minute! I should have done this years ago. :D

Dave

Thank You Dave. I will be turning to you for good retirement ideas in a few years. You’ll be a pro by then. :)

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Congrats @slip - living the dream!:cheer:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am so happy that you chose Waikiki with the walkability and things to do for your wife and you when you are off. You got there before the Coronavirus Pandemic which was great for you to experience the real Waikiki when it is "Waikiki". How different is it now from when you got there? One of the things that we are concerned about returning in addition to the Coronavirus spread is the uptick in crime since we don't get a car and either walk or take the bus when we go out which is usually all the time.

Yes, we had only been to Oahu a couple times before moving here but for location, we both are very glad we picked Waikiki. My wife has still had some issues with her hip and back. She fell once hurting her back and then a few months later fell in the tub. Both falls were kind of controlled falls and so they could have been worse. She is getting better all the time but her walking endurance has been hampered. She is still going to the doctor and working on it.

She has a great attitude though and she just loves being here. Every few weeks she still out of the blue says that she still can’t believe we live in Hawaii. Like Dave says a bad day here is better than a good day anywhere else.

Now that brings us to COVID. Yes, we were here for months before the outbreak so we definitely seen it in it’s full glory and like it was on our previous visits. I do enjoy the smaller or no crowds but it’s a little eerie at times. Traffic is great too. but as much as I like the less crowds and traffic, I wish it was all back to normal.

Sales at work are still way down still and I believe Hawaii will be going back into a lockdown for 30 days and that will include bringing back the quarantine for inter-island travel. Hopefully it will be lifted by Thanksgiving when we planned to go to Molokai again. We have had a few rounds of furloughs at work and letting some people go. Last week being the last round and of course there could be more. My job is pretty safe and being the only person doing my job way out here in the middle of no where helps. I have thought about it and if I would get eliminated at work I would just take my compensation package and be done. I would just retire. I told my wife it won’t happen because I’m not that lucky.:D
You have to keep my sense of humor.

On the crime, there was an increase in theft in November and December but there hasn’t been much since. Maybe it’s because there aren’t many people In Waikiki. Otherwise, I haven’t heard much so that is probably better.

Being here during this has been odd but I’m sure it’s odd everywhere. But we are glad we are here and not worrying about when we will be able to return. We definitely don’t miss those long plane rides. We are definitely lucky we live Hawaii.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoy hawaii, but personally not sure we could live there. We have discussed moving there, but I know we will want to be near (at least within driving distance) our kids and hopefully grandkids some day. More power to you actually doing it, and congrats on one year.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We enjoy hawaii, but personally not sure we could live there. We have discussed moving there, but I know we will want to be near (at least within driving distance) our kids and hopefully grandkids some day. More power to you actually doing it, and congrats on one year.

Yes, that is definitely an issue for some people. Our Daughter is 38 and our Son is 30. Both are single, never been married and no kids. So we really don’t have an issue there. They both came and visited us already in January just before this mess started. We Skype them once In a while and keep in touch on Facebook. We may go back to the mainland to visit in 2022.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy to read it's all working out. Sounds like a dream come true. Work in an island/& vacation feel at the same time. Congratulations and hope your wife keeps improving.

Do you think your kids would ever move to Hawaii?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Excellent! Congrats for living your dream life!

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Congratulations! Imagine a year already. Time truly does fly by. I enjoy reading your threads and am so happy your dreams came true. Wish you and your wife a few more decades in Hawaii!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Happy to read it's all working out. Sounds like a dream come true. Work in an island/& vacation feel at the same time. Congratulations and hope your wife keeps improving.

Do you think your kids would ever move to Hawaii?

I could see my daughter possibly at some time. She has already moved from Wisconsin to Florida to Denver. My son, probably not. He did like Oahu during his first visit in January so I can see him visiting anyway.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congratulations! Imagine a year already. Time truly does fly by. I enjoy reading your threads and am so happy your dreams came true. Wish you and your wife a few more decades in Hawaii!

Thank You very much. Time fly’s!!

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
@slip, I've enjoyed following your journey, although I'm jealous of your move. :) Thanks for taking us along with you.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Congratulations of both the Work and Hawaii anniversaries! I feel like an old timer at my work but only have 20 years..

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Congrats, @slip, you'll be a kama'aina in no time, especially if you pick up more 'pidgin'. Hope the locals are treating you all right .

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congratulations of both the Work and Hawaii anniversaries! I feel like an old timer at my work but only have 20 years..

20 years is a lot and you don’t see that a lot any more either, Congratulations to you too. :thumbup:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats, @slip, you'll be a kama'aina in no time, especially if you pick up more 'pidgin'. Hope the locals are treating you all right .

Thank You

I do get the Kama’Aina discount.:D

Pidgin would not look genuine coming from me so I don’t try.:)

I do have to say that the locals have all been great and welcoming. No issues at all

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Uptick in crime with everyone wearing mask, it is hindering indentification.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Good for you! I'm happy that you actually did it and didn't just think about it and have regrets later.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Uptick in crime with everyone wearing mask, it is hindering indentification.

I only remember the uptick in November and December but maybe that was only Waikiki. I don’t remember hearing anything reported since but I may have missed it.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good for you! I'm happy that you actually did it and didn't just think about it and have regrets later.

Thank You!!

I think it was bigger for my wife to make a big change like that. I had at least did it once before. Didn’t seem to phase her in the least. She handled it well. Being able to retire probably helped. :)

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Yes, we had only been to Oahu a couple times before moving here but for location, we both are very glad we picked Waikiki. My wife has still had some issues with her hip and back. She fell once hurting her back and then a few months later fell in the tub. Both falls were kind of controlled falls and so they could have been worse. She is getting better all the time but her walking endurance has been hampered. She is still going to the doctor and working on it.

She has a great attitude though and she just loves being here. Every few weeks she still out of the blue says that she still can’t believe we live in Hawaii. Like Dave says a bad day here is better than a good day anywhere else.

Now that brings us to COVID. Yes, we were here for months before the outbreak so we definitely seen it in it’s full glory and like it was on our previous visits. I do enjoy the smaller or no crowds but it’s a little eerie at times. Traffic is great too. but as much as I like the less crowds and traffic, I wish it was all back to normal.

Sales at work are still way down still and I believe Hawaii will be going back into a lockdown for 30 days and that will include bringing back the quarantine for inter-island travel. Hopefully it will be lifted by Thanksgiving when we planned to go to Molokai again. We have had a few rounds of furloughs at work and letting some people go. Last week being the last round and of course there could be more. My job is pretty safe and being the only person doing my job way out here in the middle of no where helps. I have thought about it and if I would get eliminated at work I would just take my compensation package and be done. I would just retire. I told my wife it won’t happen because I’m not that lucky.:D
You have to keep my sense of humor.

On the crime, there was an increase in theft in November and December but there hasn’t been much since. Maybe it’s because there aren’t many people In Waikiki. Otherwise, I haven’t heard much so that is probably better.

Being here during this has been odd but I’m sure it’s odd everywhere. But we are glad we are here and not worrying about when we will be able to return. We definitely don’t miss those long plane rides. We are definitely lucky we live Hawaii.

I wasn't looking at the CrimeMapping website back in November and December but I did hear about the uptick in purse snatchings and robberies back then. I am providing the CrimeMapping.com so you can see some of the daily cases that come up from the police reports. There have been some Assults and Robberies in Waikiki on Kuhio, Ala Moana, Kalia and even Kalakaua in recent days which concerned me. Those are the "violent crimes" so that is what I watch for. There are so many Thefts, which are defined as stealing something that doesn't belong to you but with no physical confrontation so I am less concerned about those. We checked with the Police in Waikiki back in March when we were there and purse snachings are considered Robberies not Thefts.

CrimeMapping.com - Helping You Build a Safer Community

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wasn't looking at the CrimeMapping website back in November and December but I did hear about the uptick in purse snatchings and robberies back then. I am providing the CrimeMapping.com so you can see some of the daily cases that come up from the police reports. There have been some Assults and Robberies in Waikiki on Kuhio, Ala Moana, Kalia and even Kalakaua in recent days which concerned me. Those are the "violent crimes" so that is what I watch for. There are so many Thefts, which are defined as stealing something that doesn't belong to you but with no physical confrontation so I am less concerned about those. We checked with the Police in Waikiki back in March when we were there and purse snachings are considered Robberies not Thefts.

CrimeMapping.com - Helping You Build a Safer Community

Thank You for the website. I really haven’t noticed any more in our area but we aren’t out late either. I do remember back in November and December the news was reporting some incidents were happening in broad daylight.

One thing I have noticed is more Police out walking around. Especially on Kalākaua. Now the beaches are closed again to sitting on the beach so there will be even less people there.