• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Standalone cabins

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I recently discovered Glacier Wilderness Resort up near GNP, and it sounds like heaven on earth to me. I put in an ongoing search for high season 2021, but suddenly I'm very, very curious about similar properties - what's out there?

I'm looking for standalone cabins with a fireplace and at least a partial kitchen. Southeast or East coast US would be ideal for us, but anywhere in the US or Canada would be worth the trip.

Any of you guys have any good options for me? Your knowledge is much appreciated!!

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Hi iwanttoflyaway,
Which exchange company to you use?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Rams Horn Village Resort in Estes Park. Colorado.

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi iwanttoflyaway,
Which exchange company to you use?

Right now we're only with RCI, but we'd actually be interested in owning a week at a property like this, so affilliation isn't really too much of an issue. I would be willing to rent via redweek or something to try out a property that we couldn't exchange into. We used to camp frequently, but now that I'm aging I have somewhat different mattress requirements ;-)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We love that area, that'd be perfect!! Thanks!

In 2017, we actually rented directly from the resort. Got a "spring special", though still pricey. We didn't care as it is in the perfect location and we loved the resort.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Wilderness Presidential resort at Chancellorsville, VA. Near Fredericksburg. Cabins on a lake at the back of a campground. Not glamorous but our kids had a lot of fun there.

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
You might want to consider Huttopia: https://canada-usa.huttopia.com/en/destination/

They are a French company with locations all over France but three (3) locations in the NE (one in Canada near me as well as one in NH and one in ME). They offer camp sites as well as glamping (large tents set on permanent platforms with real beds) and cabins, but (thankfully) no RV or camper sites. They also offer an on-site pool and/or lake, restaurant, store and the sites are generally well-spaced.

Here is another great option near Smugglers Notch (VT): https://www.sterlingridgeresort.com/

And if you want to visit Québec, this organization handles reservations in all provincial parks and they have some great options: https://www.sepaq.com/hebergement/chalet.dot

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wilderness Presidential resort at Chancellorsville, VA. Near Fredericksburg. Cabins on a lake at the back of a campground. Not glamorous but our kids had a lot of fun there.

Oooh, that one is particularly attractive - only about an hour out of Richmond! Flying there from Florida is often really inexpensive.

Thank you guys, definitely thrilled to hear about these and excited to see what else you guys know is out there!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Oooh, that one is particularly attractive - only about an hour out of Richmond! Flying there from Florida is often really inexpensive.

Thank you guys, definitely thrilled to hear about these and excited to see what else you guys know is out there!
Chancellorville can be quite hot and humid during the summer. It isn't high enough to be cool. You are from Florida so that may not bother you but it won't be like CO or northeastern or northwestern US or Canada.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Having stayed at Glacier Wilderness Resort, I'd suggest you pack your "rustic" sense of humor with you. The place was old, dark, dusty, musty, and well-worn, on the verge of worn-out. (Can you say "shag carpeting?") The hot tub on the porch was broken. The Office was closed most of the time, and the attendant nowhere to be found. To get wifi, we had to go stand on the back porch of the clubhouse. It was a great location for visiting Glacier NP, but I doubt I'd stay at this property again. I enjoy camping, but for the money it cost, I expected more. (Although the grizzly wandering through the resort one day was rather entertaining. :) )

Dave

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chancellorville can be quite hot and humid during the summer. It isn't high enough to be cool. You are from Florida so that may not bother you but it won't be like CO or northeastern or northwestern US or Canada.

That's definitely good to know - we'll likely be more interested in that area in the winter anyhow. Thanks!

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having stayed at Glacier Wilderness Resort, I'd suggest you pack your "rustic" sense of humor with you. The place was old, dark, dusty, musty, and well-worn, on the verge of worn-out. (Can you say "shag carpeting?") The hot tub on the porch was broken. The Office was closed most of the time, and the attendant nowhere to be found. To get wifi, we had to go stand on the back porch of the clubhouse. It was a great location for visiting Glacier NP, but I doubt I'd stay at this property again. I enjoy camping, but for the money it cost, I expected more. (Although the grizzly wandering through the resort one day was rather entertaining. :) )

Dave

Oof. I was fully prepared for rustic, but not disrepair. I would be pretty upset if the hot tub were nonfunctional, that's definitely one of the selling points. May I ask when you stayed? The high season units are in such high demand, it's hard for me to understand them not keeping them in good working order, even if the units themselves are worn...

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oof. I was fully prepared for rustic, but not disrepair. I would be pretty upset if the hot tub were nonfunctional, that's definitely one of the selling points. May I ask when you stayed? The high season units are in such high demand, it's hard for me to understand them not keeping them in good working order, even if the units themselves are worn...

It was the second week of June, several years ago. Things may be in better condition now - you'd want to call and ask them before booking anything. We spent most of our time inside Glacier NP, so the resort was used mainly for sleeping. It'd be difficult to find enough to do all day if we'd stayed around the place. Checking the Tug review I wrote at the time, I rated it a 7, mainly because it was a 20-minute drive to West Glacier. The rest was pretty unimpressive.

Dave

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Tristram's Landing on Nantucket has lovely beachy cottages with a full kitchen and a fireplace. A short walk or drive to the beach. 3 bedrooms, though one of them is small with four bunk beds in most units. The property was sold in 3 or 4 week intervals and it's not unusual to see an ownership available. You can find their office with a Google search. We tried to exchange into there for years (which was pretty difficult) and finally bought an interval a few years ago. Of all my timeshares, this is my favorite, in spite of rather substantial maintenance fees (expensive like everything else on the Island). We use one week of our interval every year and either rent or deposit the other weeks.

Sheila

rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tree Tops Resort in Gatlinburg, Tennessee has stand-alone cabins that the resort calls pedestal units. The original pedestal units were destroyed in a wildfire a few years back, and were completely replaced two or three years ago.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys are amazing! Gatlinburg is a lovely area, and I didn't even know there were things like that picture anywhere near Branson!! I could sell a group cabin trip to our friends in that picture alone, thanks!!

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Tree Tops Resort in Gatlinburg, Tennessee has stand-alone cabins that the resort calls pedestal units. The original pedestal units were destroyed in a wildfire a few years back, and were completely replaced two or three years ago.

Can't believe I forgot to mention Tree Tops, since I own one of the pedestal units. Great resort, well managed, and recovering nicely from the fire. We have owned and traded or rented our units there for about 15 years. They trade in both II and RCI, but are hard to get because so many owners actually use their units. We live an hour from the area, so have only taken advantage of day use and visited our neighbors when they used their pedestal unit. Great for a large family and the pictures of the rebuilt ones are great! My kids have done a night here and there using our owner rental discount.

Sheila

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks everyone for posting and sharing this information. I loved all the photos.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook