• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ST Thomas Travel

Dolphin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking to travel to St Thomas in June and wondering how travel is there and the over all situation. Some specific questions:

1. Looks like even if you are vaccinated you still have to be tested for travel, true?
2. Stores and Restaurants open?
3. Mask requirements outside? inside? enforced?
4. Diving open?

We have not been there at our TS at Frenchmen Cove in a while and like to go back, but trying to determined how locked down things are?

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked with the resort today and best I can tell for our trip in January: 1. Yes, 2. Yes, 3. Yes where social distancing is not possible, in lobbies, elevators and hallways. Not sure on enforcement. 4. Didn't ask, but they said trips were going to St. John and they seemed to indicate that it is easier to travel to BVIs due to a recent change. I will report back if we are able to go down in January!

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking to travel to St Thomas in June and wondering how travel is there and the over all situation. Some specific questions:

1. Looks like even if you are vaccinated you still have to be tested for travel, true?
2. Stores and Restaurants open?
3. Mask requirements outside? inside? enforced?
4. Diving open?

We have not been there at our TS at Frenchmen Cove in a while and like to go back, but trying to determined how locked down things are?

Do you really mean June?
I can’t imagine trying to predict 6-7:months from now.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
June......way to far in advance to be concerned. Requirements will probably change about 1/2 dozen times.
It's unfortunate, but the reality of traveling now a days.

Dolphin

TUG Member
Reaction score
June......way to far in advance to be concerned. Requirements will probably change about 1/2 dozen times.
It's unfortunate, but the reality of traveling now a days.
I don't disagree and I hope it does change by then. But, there are places we have done some travel that I had hope things would have changed to the better and they have not. Just thinking ahead and watching things with the hopes they get better... Thanks for input

Dolphin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked with the resort today and best I can tell for our trip in January: 1. Yes, 2. Yes, 3. Yes where social distancing is not possible, in lobbies, elevators and hallways. Not sure on enforcement. 4. Didn't ask, but they said trips were going to St. John and they seemed to indicate that it is easier to travel to BVIs due to a recent change. I will report back if we are able to go down in January!
Thank you look forward to your report.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
U.S. citizens traveling to the USVI after January 3,2022 must have a negative Covid test within 3 days of arrival….it was 5 days

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have heard in the last week that it may not be possible to go to BVI from St. Thomas. We are still hoping to go down to the Ritz and Frenchmens Cove next week, but with flight cancellations and the pandemic surge, we may not be able to go.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
My son and fiancé will be headed to Frenchmans Cove in 3 weeks….hopefully entry requirements stay the same.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
U.S. citizens traveling to the USVI after January 3,2022 must have a negative Covid test within 3 days of arrival….it was 5 days
Thanks for the heads up!

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from a family vacation of 14 days in St. Thomas — 5 days at The Ritz Club in St. Thomas and the last nine at Frenchmen’s Cove. We were with our adult kids so there were 6 of us in the 3BR units. We liked both resorts. The Ritz was a bit nicer and newer, with more amenities, but Frenchmen’s had beautiful sunsets and better access to Charlotte Amalie. Thoughts on both below:

We started at the Ritz Club, which is a little farther from the airport and the shops and restaurants of Charlotte Amalie but it is a beautiful property, with access to the beach, pools and amenities of the neighboring Ritz-Carlton next door (there is a $75 fee/unit/day to use the sailboats, paddleboards, snorkel gear, etc.). The snorkeling was good off the beach, with turtles and rays. It is also closer to RedHook and the ferry over to St. John. The Ritz Club units are really nice, with an extra 1/2 bath and a large balcony that seats six people. There is one restaurant at the Club, and several restaurants at the Hotel (all with Ritz pricing). These days the restaurants are only open to guests on the property. My favorite meal on the trip was at Alloro at the Ritz. Our waiter, Walter was terrific. Sails (beach bar) and Coconut Cove were nice for lunches and drinks, too. Staff at the resort were all terrific.

The Ritz Hotel catamaran, Lady Lynsey, leaves from the beach for all day and sunset cruises. They will also arrange for a charter boat to pick you up on the beach, which we did for a day of snorkeling at St. John and great fish tacos at Lime Out. Unlike in the past, the boats can’t cross into BVI due to COVID restrictions.

Our last nine days were at Frenchman’s Cove, which was very nice. It had 3BR/3BA but was a smaller unit than the Ritz, with a small balcony that only seats about 4. They also have a smaller beach, but good snorkeling right off the beach. The pool was busy during our time there but it seemed you could usually find open lounge chairs, and it is a great place to watch the sunset. Their “Cat” has a friendly crew, and we enjoyed their sunset cruise with drinks, BBQ buffet and motoring around CA harbor seeing some of the beautiful yachts moored there. The adjoining Marriott Frenchmen’s Reef is still under construction and we were told it is scheduled to open next Summer, likely re-branded as a Westin. If they share beaches/pools/restaurants with FC — like the Ritz does — it will be a really nice benefit for the timeshares.

For restaurants, we really liked Oceana ($$$), Sunset Grill at Secret Harbor, Lanai at LimeTree, and The Tap and Still (for burgers and a beer). We heard great things about Virgilio’s and Old Stone Farmhouse but we didn’t get there this trip. We really wanted pizza one night and were surprised that Pizza Amore closed at 5:30 (we were too late for that). MountainTop is a little touristy spot with panoramic views and frozen banana daiquiris. On St. John, LimeOut and Skinny Legs were also fun casual dining spots (LimeOut you need to get to by boat, and you eat in floating inflatable “limes”).

If you plan to shop in St. Thomas, we highly recommend Sidewalk Grill for lunch (really nice owner, good food, frozen Bushwackers and other drinks) and Grand Jewelers on Dronningen’s Gade, (the main street). We would highly recommend Navin and Dean there.

Moe’s Fresh is a great small grocery with locations in Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook. Good butcher and deli sections but may be out of stock of some items later in the day so recommend going earlier if you need specific things. The Red Hook Moe’s also has a well-stocked liquor store and wine selection in an upstairs room.

We used Paradise Car Rental and it worked out well. They pick up and drop off at the airport so you don’t need to get in line at the airport. We had a problem with the van on day 12 but we called Jeff and he handled it by meeting us downtown with another car. I would recommend them.

Favorite beaches were Megan’s Bay (good beach bar and pizza), and Hawk’s Nest, Maho & Trunk Bay all on St. John, and the hotel beaches. We saw lots of rays, turtles, sharks and vibrant fish.

All in all, a great family trip and lots of reasons to go back!

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
My son and fiancé just returned from Frenchmans Cove…he said the best dinner they had the whole trip was at Prime at Paradise Point…they had the tomahawk steak and not only was it the best steak he ever had…the service and view of Charlotte Amalie and the cruise port from the restaurant was awesome.

Last edited:

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
We started at the Ritz Club, which is a little farther from the airport and the shops and restaurants of Charlotte Amalie but it is a beautiful property, with access to the beach, pools and amenities of the neighboring Ritz-Carlton next door (there is a $75 fee/unit/day to use the sailboats, paddleboards, snorkel gear, etc.).

Are the $75 daily Ritz fees optional or automatic? and/or do they cover the costs of the water toy usage in full or at a discount? Does Frenchman’s Cove work similarly?

I’ve just begun planning for our family’s first trip to St. Thomas, moving from the Ritz Club to Frenchman’s Cove, over the course of 10 days so far (all points based bookings, while I wait to see if someone gives up a week to interval). Current reservations overlap by two days, but I’ve got points enough to waitlist in hopes of lengthening my time at either resort at the expense of the other… wasn’t sure which we’d prefer, but better understanding the differences in availability/cost of activities should certainly help.

Many thanks in advance!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from a family vacation of 14 days in St. Thomas...
Thank you very much for the extensive and informative review.

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The $75 Ritz fee is only on the day or days you choose to use their equipment, and it covers everyone in your villa and (I believe) all of the equipment. There is a daily $25 "Environmental" fee at TRC but I don't think it covers any equipment. We used the sailboats and kayaks at The Ritz, but I know it also included snorkel gear, paddleboards, etc. We weren't told about any activity fee at Frenchman's and didn't see as much equipment but it might have been there. They do have a watersports desk there, that books the Cat, night kayak tours and other boat stuff.

There were very nice benefits to both resorts. If I planned to stay a lot at the resort, I would definitely choose the Ritz for their beach, pool, and Ritz quality. If you like to go to lots of different restaurants, shop in Charlotte Amalie, and be closer to most everything, Frenchman's is terrific and located a short drive from town and not as far from the airport. When the new Marriott/Westin opens and assuming their facilities are open to Frenchman's, my answer might be different. I think you'll have a great trip, and we really enjoyed getting to see both resorts!

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
Fantastic info, both from the trip report and re. the Ritz fee. I’ll try to extend my stay there (currently 5 nights without a room change), if I can, since “Dad’s vacation” segments of travel ideally allow him to rest/relax at the hotel while we others run around.

Thanks, again!

WI GAL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOR South, Maui
Hanalei Bay, Kauai
Aruba Surf Club
We just got back from a family vacation of 14 days in St. Thomas — 5 days at The Ritz Club in St. Thomas and the last nine at Frenchmen’s Cove. We were with our adult kids so there were 6 of us in the 3BR units. We liked both resorts. The Ritz was a bit nicer and newer, with more amenities, but Frenchmen’s had beautiful sunsets and better access to Charlotte Amalie. Thoughts on both below:

We started at the Ritz Club, which is a little farther from the airport and the shops and restaurants of Charlotte Amalie but it is a beautiful property, with access to the beach, pools and amenities of the neighboring Ritz-Carlton next door (there is a $75 fee/unit/day to use the sailboats, paddleboards, snorkel gear, etc.). The snorkeling was good off the beach, with turtles and rays. It is also closer to RedHook and the ferry over to St. John. The Ritz Club units are really nice, with an extra 1/2 bath and a large balcony that seats six people. There is one restaurant at the Club, and several restaurants at the Hotel (all with Ritz pricing). These days the restaurants are only open to guests on the property. My favorite meal on the trip was at Alloro at the Ritz. Our waiter, Walter was terrific. Sails (beach bar) and Coconut Cove were nice for lunches and drinks, too. Staff at the resort were all terrific.

The Ritz Hotel catamaran, Lady Lynsey, leaves from the beach for all day and sunset cruises. They will also arrange for a charter boat to pick you up on the beach, which we did for a day of snorkeling at St. John and great fish tacos at Lime Out. Unlike in the past, the boats can’t cross into BVI due to COVID restrictions.

Our last nine days were at Frenchman’s Cove, which was very nice. It had 3BR/3BA but was a smaller unit than the Ritz, with a small balcony that only seats about 4. They also have a smaller beach, but good snorkeling right off the beach. The pool was busy during our time there but it seemed you could usually find open lounge chairs, and it is a great place to watch the sunset. Their “Cat” has a friendly crew, and we enjoyed their sunset cruise with drinks, BBQ buffet and motoring around CA harbor seeing some of the beautiful yachts moored there. The adjoining Marriott Frenchmen’s Reef is still under construction and we were told it is scheduled to open next Summer, likely re-branded as a Westin. If they share beaches/pools/restaurants with FC — like the Ritz does — it will be a really nice benefit for the timeshares.

For restaurants, we really liked Oceana ($$$), Sunset Grill at Secret Harbor, Lanai at LimeTree, and The Tap and Still (for burgers and a beer). We heard great things about Virgilio’s and Old Stone Farmhouse but we didn’t get there this trip. We really wanted pizza one night and were surprised that Pizza Amore closed at 5:30 (we were too late for that). MountainTop is a little touristy spot with panoramic views and frozen banana daiquiris. On St. John, LimeOut and Skinny Legs were also fun casual dining spots (LimeOut you need to get to by boat, and you eat in floating inflatable “limes”).

If you plan to shop in St. Thomas, we highly recommend Sidewalk Grill for lunch (really nice owner, good food, frozen Bushwackers and other drinks) and Grand Jewelers on Dronningen’s Gade, (the main street). We would highly recommend Navin and Dean there.

Moe’s Fresh is a great small grocery with locations in Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook. Good butcher and deli sections but may be out of stock of some items later in the day so recommend going earlier if you need specific things. The Red Hook Moe’s also has a well-stocked liquor store and wine selection in an upstairs room.

We used Paradise Car Rental and it worked out well. They pick up and drop off at the airport so you don’t need to get in line at the airport. We had a problem with the van on day 12 but we called Jeff and he handled it by meeting us downtown with another car. I would recommend them.

Favorite beaches were Megan’s Bay (good beach bar and pizza), and Hawk’s Nest, Maho & Trunk Bay all on St. John, and the hotel beaches. We saw lots of rays, turtles, sharks and vibrant fish.

All in all, a great family trip and lots of reasons to go back!
[/QUOTE
Nice trip! We are going to St John in April and wondering if it was one of the beaches you listed that you saw several rays at? Thanks much!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We are staying at the Ritz Club for 15 nights in early June. I am surprised and disappointed that they are requiring a negative Covid test even for vaccinated travelers. I hope that changes before June. Can you get the Covid test before you leave? How do you prove you were tested?

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe it is the island and not the Ritz that required it when we traveled. In December, we were working under the premise that we all needed a documented test (PCR or Antigen, and not just unsupervised home test) 5 days before we arrived in the USVIs. Due to the omicron surge, they reduced it to within 3 days of arrival, which made us have to adjust. We were able to get them in time to go, but not without some anxiety and some luck that we were all negative (I would note that we are all vaxed and boosted, with two physicians in our group). With that said, we were all very careful before going so as to not miss out on the trip. We needed to use the USVI portal to get pre-approved before traveling, but that was pretty easy once you have your test results to upload. Once on the island, there were not too many issues, though every passenger had their temperature taken as they got off the plane. One other limitation was that we couldn't take a boat to the BVIs (due to different entry requirements).

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
WI GAL, my daughter and I saw a very large ray snorkeling right off the beach at the Ritz, not real far from shore, and we all saw several at Maho Bay in St. John. Pretty amazing creatures!

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
We are staying at the Ritz Club for 15 nights in early June. I am surprised and disappointed that they are requiring a negative Covid test even for vaccinated travelers. I hope that changes before June. Can you get the Covid test before you leave? How do you prove you were tested?
My son and fiancé just returned from St Thomas…they got the PCR test 3 days before leaving for the island using CVS..and had the results the next day..uploaded the results on the USVI website…received the ok to board the flight to St Thomas from United..QR code…and the next day they received the government ok to enter St. Thomas..it was really quite easy…no test required flying back to U.S. mainland.

WI GAL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOR South, Maui
Hanalei Bay, Kauai
Aruba Surf Club
WI GAL, my daughter and I saw a very large ray snorkeling right off the beach at the Ritz, not real far from shore, and we all saw several at Maho Bay in St. John. Pretty amazing creatures!
How cool, thanks!!

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
Thank you for a great review. I'm planning a trip in October in 2 bedroom at Frenchman Cove. My family first trip there. I will use all of your recommendations.