• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St Thomas - rent a car or take cabs?

BarbmC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Marriott BeachPlace
Marriott Vacation Club points owner
Going to the Ritz Carlton Club, my husband's first time on St. Thomas - so would like to show him the island.
He refuses to drive, I'm nervous about driving on the left side of the road, I've never done it before.
What are your thoughts about renting a car? Doing a tour company? Cabs?

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Driving on the left isn't as bad as it looked to me from being the passenger. You just need someone to read the map and remind you to stay LEFT. I was always the map reader passenger until I went with older relatives, then I was the driver on 2 trips. Have not been since the x2 hurricanes 2 years ago. Locals are all on island time until they get behind the wheel of a car, pull over and let them pass.

Taxis are expensive as they charge per person. TripAdvisor has a good travel forum to check out.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I say rent and just drive very slow and its not a huge deal. I had the most challenges in parking lots but felt driving on the roads wasn't a big hassle.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
My husband always drives. We enjoy having a car to explore. Now if he wasn’t driving would I rent a car. Probably not. I guess it’s an individual choice. St. Thomas did seem easy to drive from the passenger seat.:cool:

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there a few weeks ago...but our son-in-law drove. I didn't enjoy just "driving around" sight seeing. But I very much appreciated having a van for all 7 of us to go specifically to some of the beaches we visited: Megens Bay, Lindquist, etc. We usually went early in the day and brought picnic lunches....we never had any problem with parking (lots were EMPTY) and we left early in the afternoon so we didn't run into much traffic. If you do rent a car I would personally plan your trips vice any sight seeing drives......just my personal opinion. Also...you might want to price things out......we were a group of 7 so taking taxi's would have been EXPENSIVE every time.....since taxi's charge per person....you might not find much of a savings or even any convenience by renting a vehicle.