• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St. Maarten Oyster Bay Beach resort vs. Simpson Bay Resort

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
We use Leisure Car Rental. Jimmy Fitzpatrick is a manager and communication was always easy. Reservations are done on line. I believe all car rentals are short distance from the airport, but some will bring you your rental car to the airport.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Most of the check in dates seem to be Saturday at the 3 resorts in this thread. Does anyone know if they also have Sunday check in? Thanks.
Divi has some Sunday check ins. We learned that the hard way. We had booked a 2 week trip and did a private rental of a studio so our daughter and boyfriend could join us for the second week. When they arrived on the Saturday to check in we were surprised to find the unit wasn't available til Sunday! We hadn't looked closely enough at the dates because we had assumed all units were Saturday checkin. Luckily they could sleep one night on the sofa in our one bedroom unit.

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of people love the Simpson Bay area, but we have always preferred the quieter location of Divi. Great beach, still close for a quick drive to restaurants. Divi has a new high rise hotel area that has just opened.

Staying on the French side is fun, but I probably wouldn't do that for just a 3 night stay, because of the extra driving time. I’ve never stayed at Mary's Boon, which is an older hotel right on the beach but know it has lots of fans and would consider it if I had a need for a few hotel nights.
It looks Divi Little Bay has two codes in II, LBY & LY1. Is one better than the other?

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of great info on this thread. We went to SXM for over 20 years. Loved it…until the hurricane destroyed it and the rebuild took and is taking too long. We went back too soon, (2018) and saw the destruction and how poorly they were financed to rebuild. They are probably in much better shape now.

We stayed at both resorts that the original poster was looking at. Simpson bay resort has older buildings that may or may not have AC. The newer building looks much nicer. The location is good, but we would still recommend a car rental from a local. We never had a good experience with the major American car companies there.

OBBR is closer to the French side, and the resort is overall much nicer in our opinion, as long as you can climb a flight or two. No elevators in most of the building for exchangers. The rooms are very well appointed but not Marriott quality. This is our favorite SXM resort. A car is a must, but the roads can be treacherous in the dark.

Someone asked about Dawn Beach. It’s next to OBBR. The Dawn beach resort has beautiful rooms but during our stay it was frequented by roaches, perhaps palmetto bugs, but too many. We could not keep them at bay with an entire can of Raid. They were immune. So nicely appointed, but very buggy. And also, way too many problems with WiFI. It only worked about half the time, and we were paying extra for it. The best thing was the beach at the Westin. So not sure if that resort is worth it right now.

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an II getaway booked for Simpson Bay Resort for Aug 2023. Assuming the management would honor requests, are there any buildings/units that are worth trying to ask for (or ask NOT for)? Since I think it's off-peak season, I thought I might have a better chance of a request being fulfilled.

Thanks. Jeff