• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St. Maarten II resorts

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
We’re looking to go to St. Maarten in April or May 2022 and not seeing a lot of availability. Have these units came and went or just not deposited yet? Thanks!

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I do not know for certain, but this is my educated guess based on discussions I have read and participated in both here and on other sites, such as TA and TTOL. I think you are seeing the impact of three separate factors coming together (a sort of "perfect storm"), to cause a scarcity of units for non-owners, which will probably last for another year or two:
  1. A number of the timeshares on the island received significant damage during Hurricane Irma in September 2017 and required major rebuilding and in some cases almost total reconstruction. Some were completely shut down and only recently re-opened, causing an accumulation of weeks that owners could not use. Some have not re-opened. In some cases, the resorts are giving their owners priority to use those unused weeks first, before offering anything through timeshare exchanges, such as II or RCI.
  2. The pandemic hit just as the island was starting to finally get back to normal. The pandemic then resulted in the island being closed to visitors for several months, exacerbating the issue in number 1.
  3. The island is very popular in peak season (typically January to April) but also the rest of the year. Many owners use their weeks every year, so they never come up for exchange, which reduces the availability further.
I think you just have to keep your eyes open to see if something comes up. I suspect it may be a bit early yet for April/May 2022, but that is just a guess. With restrictions on travel in 2020 and 2021, there is also a pent-up demand for 2022. So you have a combination of a smaller-than-normal supply and a larger-than-normal demand.

I don't know if there are certain times of the year when units are released by particular resorts. Perhaps others with more specific experience will be able to provide that info. Because we tend to stay longer (3 to 5 weeks) when on the island, we tend to rent villas, rather than use our timeshare for exchanges.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another factor cruise lines are now using the port of St Maarten to start crusing in North America in June 2021.

This could last to 2022 and beyond. IMHO.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Another factor cruise lines are now using the port of St Maarten to start crusing in North America in June 2021.

This could last to 2022 and beyond. IMHO.

Our Caribbean cruise (very late November 2021) that was scheduled to leave from San Juan had a schedule change, as pedro47 said, and now leaves out of St. Maarten. We were able to use an II exchange to spend a week after the cruise in December at Simpson Bay Resort and seemed fairly easy (i.e. quick) to get.

The US/CDC was has been so restrictive about cruises from US ports, that the cruise lines have relocated to ports in the Caribbean. [Fine with us; San Juan was OK, but looking forward to leaving from Phillipsburg instead.]

Last edited:

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Put in an ongoing search. The resorts are plentiful and I think you will get your request.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Information only according to today's Miami webcam..
There are five (5) cruise ship docked at the Miami cruise port and two cruise ships docked at the Port Everglades cruise port. What an awesome sight. IMHO