• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Splitting up a lockoff permanently

bzzybee13

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have been trying to offload my brother's Patriots Place 2BR lockoff for 2 years...I can't even give it away! They finally caved today and "sweetened the pot" so to speak by actually offering cash for someone to take it. I was wondering if there is anything else to be done...specifically, will Wyndham take a 2BR lockoff week and permanently split it into a studio week and a 1BR week? They would still get the same amount in maintenance fees so I don't see a downside for them, and in my thinking it may be easier to sell that way. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,
Devorah

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Hi all. I have been trying to offload my brother's Patriots Place 2BR lockoff for 2 years...I can't even give it away! They finally caved today and "sweetened the pot" so to speak by actually offering cash for someone to take it. I was wondering if there is anything else to be done...specifically, will Wyndham take a 2BR lockoff week and permanently split it into a studio week and a 1BR week? They would still get the same amount in maintenance fees so I don't see a downside for them, and in my thinking it may be easier to sell that way. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,
Devorah

I would suggest contacting an attorney with a copy of the actual deed to see if Wyndham has a choise in the matter. Then contact Wynhdam Legal to determine whether they would or not. Some of the answer may be in the type of deed and its status. Is this a fixed week? If so, it could be possable. If a converted week, it probably would have to be unconverted from points with the loss of value that would entail. What week number is the underlying week? If it is a high season week, it might have a chance, if not, then I do not think the division would help anything.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Get Out The Condo Documents & See What They Say About Subdividing & Combining.

Does anyone know if this is possible?
Master Association Documents & Public Offering Statements of timeshare developments sometimes or usually contain language saying that the units of ownership may not be combined nor further subdivided -- meaning that the ones sold as 2BRs have to remain 2BRs even if they're lock-offs.

Same language prevents converting every-year units to EOYs & EEYs & prohibits adding alternate-year units together to make every-year units.

In short, the way the units are deeded originally is typically the way they have to stay forevermore, amen.

Have a look at the condo documents for your timeshare resort & see what those say about it.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

bzzybee13

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest contacting an attorney with a copy of the actual deed to see if Wyndham has a choise in the matter. Then contact Wynhdam Legal to determine whether they would or not. Some of the answer may be in the type of deed and its status. Is this a fixed week? If so, it could be possable. If a converted week, it probably would have to be unconverted from points with the loss of value that would entail. What week number is the underlying week? If it is a high season week, it might have a chance, if not, then I do not think the division would help anything.

Thanks for the reply! It's a fixed week 39. It's Wyndham "high" season, I think that's red. The deed doesn't say one way or the other about splitting it up.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It would cost you far more in legal fees to find out if it can be split - and you'd still have to find not one but two takers - than you would pay for someone to take it as is. It isn't likely it could be split by you as there is usually language somewhere in the documents to prevent such a move.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
The Deed Isn't Where It Says.

The deed doesn't say one way or the other about splitting it up.
Timeshare deeds usually incorporate the official condo documents by reference rather than including a separate multi-page copy with each individual deed.

So even if the deed to your unit is mum on the subject, there may well be some pertinent language that applies somewhere in the condo documents on file down at the courthouse or with the county registrar. That's where you'll need to look.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
Devorah

If they have to pay to get rid of it, splitting it would mean making 2 payments instead of 1. Besides, 2BRs are much easier to give away than a studio or 1BR.