• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Spinnaker Resorts

eellerman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any benefits in purchasing Spinnaker Resorts Palace View Resort from the developer that you do not get buying resale? If I purchased Palace View Resort in Branson, have you been successful trading to other Spinnaker Resorts such as Hilton Head? How successful have you been in exchanging via Interval International?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
There are no real benefits to purchasing from Spinnaker vs resale. They do have an internal exchange feature of some sort now, but it’s nit worth the retail price. We’ve been to a couple of owner updates with them. Their sales staff ranks high in the half truth telling department. Our last update was a few months ago and they tried to sell us on a “deed back program” were we could eventually just give our deed back to them. (Spinnaker weeks are worthless on the resale market). The numbers he used where MF’s would inflate at 13% per year from this point forward. He lauded to MF’s historically rising at that rate. That’s the point he got mad at me, because I pointed out we’d owned with spinnaker for >10 years plus we’d been members of II since 1998 and we’ve never exchanged our spinnaker owned week (he included the cost of II membership and yearly exchange fees).

All his numbers were based on bad math and lies. I know of no timeshare that has historically increased their MF’s that high and, if that’s Spinnakers plans, I’ll just stop paying our MF’s and they can repossess the week. I could have proven to him II hasn’t increased membership fees 13% per year historically nor had they increased the cost to exchange that much. Essentially he was asking us to pay around $8,000 PLUS keep our week another 10 years, just for the right to give it back.

My advice is run, don’t walk, away from ANY Spinnaker week, resale or otherwise. If you want a nice resort in Branson that trade well, is properly maintained and trade well, stick with a resale week at the Marriott or Big Cedar Lodge. Both are quality resorts. Both trade well (Big Cedar is associated with RCI) Both have higher MF’s but are well maintained resorts. Best of all, both have residual value if you ever want to get rid of them.

As to Hilton Head. Hilton Head can be difficult to exchange into fro summer weeks, even on an internal exchange program. If you want to stay in Hilton Head on a regular basis, especially during the summer, my opinion is it’s best to own there. If you only want to go there occasionally, then trading is is fine. You just can’t be to picky about the week you want. If they’re trying to sell you a cheap Branson week with the promise you can easily trade into Hilton Head, that’s just downright untruthful.

This video is of French Quarter in Branson, which is a Spinnaker managed resort. It gives you an idea of the quality. We keep the week because it’s inexpensive, is an EOY week, is well located to the Branson strip and it’s nearly impossible to dispose of (we’ve tried).

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dougp26364 thanks for sharing your video of the unit and the resort.

Last edited:

eellerman

TUG Member
Reaction score
@dougp26364 Thank you for sharing your experience and recommendation on Spinnaker Resorts. After the presentation, I do have a few questions that I am curious to know if you (or anyone) have any experience with:

1. If you own Spinnaker Hilton Head and deposit to Interval, do you receive 3 weeks for each 1 week deposited?
2. Can you purchase unlimited "bonus time", essentially unlimited rental nights at significantly reduced rates? I think the example given was $125/night for Hilton Head condo.

We toured the Spinnaker Blue Water Resort, but I noticed that is considered a "Premier" resort and you must own "Premier" membership to use it. I was not in the sales presentation long enough to know what that means, but I am staying at Spinnaker Waterside and it is more outdated than Blue Water. The grounds at Blue Water also appeared to be better maintained.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I went to a bluewater presentation once too. I believe the 3 weeks for each week deposited means they give you 2 AC (accommodation certificates). The certificates trade into excess inventory and do not have the same trading power and availability as a regular exchange. You also can't deposit a summer week into II. I believe late May or September would be as close as you could get but they would still trade well. You would not get the AC's with resale but I know for the way I currently travel that I wouldn't be able to use them but might find a slightly better week for my relatives who use the random AC's you get from II anyway.

I do not believe you get the bonus time with resale but I am not sure how good the availability is and if your options are spending even say $14,000-50,000 from the developer vs $2500 or less resale for a bluewater week you could will have a lot of left over money to rent out off season and shoulder weeks from other owners (the times when there probably is availability from the resort) for not that much more than $875 plus tax from the resort.

I have been toying with the idea of an EOY bluewater 2-3 BR for the last 10 years but instead I just exchange in every 3-4 years and am happy with that.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Here’s a link to another thread about some of the shenanigans Spinnaker pulls. They’re just not an owner friendly company.