• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Spinnaker Refusal to allow weeks to be deposited into Interval International

lkc1234

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spinnaker Bluewater Resort in Hilton Head is a member of Interval International. I have Sheraton and Marriott units and have them in my Interval International account in case I want to trade one of them. I have three Bluewater units that I bought aftermarket. I have had these units for three years and enjoy them. I contacted Interval to add my Bluewater units to my account and paid the fee to have them added. However when Interval contacted Spinnaker they refused to allow my units to be placed in Interval because they stated that only units bought from the developer can be placed in Interval. I asked for them to provide me the written policy that states this and they have not responded. Has anyone else had this issue?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So they are refusing to verify your ownership with II or did they refuse specific deposits? And if it was specific deposits what weeks did you have reserved? I haven't owned with spinnaker in the last 5 years but when I did I was able to deposit with II.

lkc1234

TUG Member
Reaction score
So they are refusing to verify your ownership with II or did they refuse specific deposits? And if it was specific deposits what weeks did you have reserved? I haven't owned with spinnaker in the last 5 years but when I did I was able to deposit with II.
They refused to allow me to place the units in my Interval account. Once in the account I could request a specific week from Spinnaker and then trade it.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If they really aren't allowing resale then that is relatively new. Spinnaker does have rules about not allowing weeks 24-33 to be deposited but in the past they have allowed resale owners to exchange through interval.

If that is a rule then they should definitely be able to send you a link to the owners guide or owners rule with the provision that an external exchange is not allowed for resale owners.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
You had to pay to add your resort to your Interval account? Is this something other people have experienced also? I’ve never heard of having a resale contract make any difference in depositing in Interval. You should try calling back and see if you get the same answer.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You had to pay to add your resort to your Interval account?
Interval International charges a fee to add resorts to an account. I don't remember the amount now, perhaps $39. You can usually renew your membership or renew Gold or Platinum and add resorts at the same time as well for no additional cost other than the renewal.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that info. I have not added a new resort in some time. I actually have 2 Interval Accounts. One is a points resort and the resort pays for the membership. The other is a regular account. That account also used to be a corporate account that the resort paid for but that stopped when that contract expired. That is the account I will be adding the new resort to. I might just let the resort handle it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
can you provide the letter or email language they sent to you when denying your deposit?

lkc1234

TUG Member
Reaction score
can you provide the letter or email language they sent to you when denying your deposit?
Here is their response ro my email requesting them to allow me to add Spinnaker Bluewater to my current Interval account. Thanks.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email. Please keep in mind that Interval international is a different company that our law office does not handle, they will only handle spinnaker contracts and not interval memberships. Unfortunately, Interval will not accept to add a new spinnaker contract to an existing interval membership. Interval international accounts can only be created at the point of purchase of a new contract. As for the spinnaker note below, it is referring to owners who have an Interval membership that is affiliated with Spinnaker resorts. You can contact the previous owners and have your name added to their Interval membership for future exchanges.

Owner Services Rep

Spinnaker Resorts

Here was my rep;y.

I contacted Interval International and they will add my Bluewater units to my Interval account with your approval. So it is incorrect to state the following "Interval will not accept to add a new spinnaker contract to an existing interval membership. Interval international accounts can only be created at the point of purchase of a new contract".

Please provide me a copy of the policy that states this in writing. In fact I have already paid the fee involved to Interval to add my Bluewater contracts to my current Interval account. They were just waiting for Spinnaker approval.
I want to appeal this decision to the next level. I have added my Sheraton timeshares to my original interval account so I know it is not Interval making that decision but Spinnaker.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible Spinnaker has dedicated Interval accounts that only service Spinnaker brand? One of Interval accounts is like that. Surrey Grand Crowne which has 4 resorts in the group all in Branson. That account has a specfic toll free number you call and only Grand Crowne points are deposited into it. Ive never experienced anything like it. Interval actually handles all reservations for Grand Crowne. 1)Home resort confirmations Grand Crowne starting at one day. No exchange fees No guest confirmations necessary if you want to send a guest. 2) All exchanges through Interval with GC charges and the whole bit. The bad news here is there is absolutely no owner services at the resort any longer if you run into a problem you have to get Interval to help you which is no easy task. Not all Interval agents know what they are doing when they take the call and often the owner is left in Limbo shaking their heads wondering WHAT WHAT. Capitol Resorts took over management of the resort last year replacing Trading Places and owner services on site. Capitol handles servicing the contracts. I ran into a problem with a new contract that I had transferred into my account. It took several phone calls to both Interval and Capitol and several emails. Finally Clare at Interval took care of it. If I knew her extension I would call her and thank her. I love my Grand Crowne points. Kind of like Wyndham love my points but owner services suck only Grand Crowne is no where close to Wyndham is sucky service.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is their response ro my email requesting them to allow me to add Spinnaker Bluewater to my current Interval account. Thanks.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email. Please keep in mind that Interval international is a different company that our law office does not handle, they will only handle spinnaker contracts and not interval memberships. Unfortunately, Interval will not accept to add a new spinnaker contract to an existing interval membership. Interval international accounts can only be created at the point of purchase of a new contract. As for the spinnaker note below, it is referring to owners who have an Interval membership that is affiliated with Spinnaker resorts. You can contact the previous owners and have your name added to their Interval membership for future exchanges.

Owner Services Rep

Spinnaker Resorts

Here was my rep;y.

I contacted Interval International and they will add my Bluewater units to my Interval account with your approval. So it is incorrect to state the following "Interval will not accept to add a new spinnaker contract to an existing interval membership. Interval international accounts can only be created at the point of purchase of a new contract".

Please provide me a copy of the policy that states this in writing. In fact I have already paid the fee involved to Interval to add my Bluewater contracts to my current Interval account. They were just waiting for Spinnaker approval.
I want to appeal this decision to the next level. I have added my Sheraton timeshares to my original interval account so I know it is not Interval making that decision but Spinnaker.
You may want to try contacting the II TUG rep Marc tugmembers@intervalintl.com. There may be no way around it if II has a contract with Spinnaker to only allow a corporate account set up by Spinnaker but that may not be the case. He may be able to set it up with a copy of the deed and your account with Spinnaker showing you are the owner on their file. That doesn't mean that it won't be a fight getting it deposited each year but maybe the person verifying deposits won't throw up a fight.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
About 2 weeks ago, I took the plunge and did my first timeshare presentation (for $150 prepaid AmEx) at Spinnaker Blue Water. One of the things they told me on the tour was that that the resort only traded in II and that you had to have a developer purchase to trade in II. I thought for sure that was a case of the agent’s lips moving. Guess I should have given the benefit of the doubt. (They badmouthed RCI after learning I had traded into Waterside through it.) They also said they had negotiated a great deal with II where you got 3 weeks with II for your week that you own with Spinnaker. (I assumed that is you get 2 certificates with your spinnaker ownership or week.)

Overall it was a painless tour. I put on their sheet (form where they requested the information) that what we owned was purchased resale and what the purchase price was. We only had a tour. Never had an agent try to sell us. They were over capacity.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
mine at bluewater was June 2019. At that time there was no mention about not being able to use interval with resale, only that I wouldn't get the bonus weeks when depositing. I think it was Friday around 3:30 and since we were staying in a 3BR unit and had stayed previously there was no need to tour a unit or the grounds the meeting was around 35 minutes. I assumed we would have to sit for another 25 minutes before the gift envelope would come but it arrived within 3 minutes.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
About 2 weeks ago, I took the plunge and did my first timeshare presentation (for $150 prepaid AmEx) at Spinnaker Blue Water. One of the things they told me on the tour was that that the resort only traded in II and that you had to have a developer purchase to trade in II. I thought for sure that was a case of the agent’s lips moving. Guess I should have given the benefit of the doubt. (They badmouthed RCI after learning I had traded into Waterside through it.) They also said they had negotiated a great deal with II where you got 3 weeks with II for your week that you own with Spinnaker. (I assumed that is you get 2 certificates with your spinnaker ownership or week.)

Overall it was a painless tour. I put on their sheet (form where they requested the information) that what we owned was purchased resale and what the purchase price was. We only had a tour. Never had an agent try to sell us. They were over capacity.

I will say one thing for Spinnaker. They sure know how to absolutely gut the resale value of their timeshares. Seems the only cheap way out is to default on their MF’s. Eventually I see this house of cards falling down upon itself

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
This must be a Bluewater thing as I own (resale) Southwind, Egret Point and am in the process of picking up a Waterside, all by Spinnaker on HHI and they all trade fine with RCI. I enquired last year with II as I was thinking about dropping my RCI account and II said I would have no problem depositing the Southwind but they didn’t deal with Egret Point (which I thought was strange since it is Spinnaker as well). I’ve been told that II has also deposited Waterside. Bluewater brought some changes internally to the Spinnaker program so perhaps this was one of the “new” concepts they brought on to combat resale. They do seem to be trying to discourage resale. I find this counter productive to the whole TS concept as you would think MF paid by a resale purchaser would be better than a delinquent ownership in default. Then again, when the marketing dept. is the policy maker, they look at the commissions, not the long term viability.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Don’t know what’s going in at Blue Water-that seems very odd. Re Spinnaker: no issues with a Waterside resale week. We’ve deposited into Rci when not using our week for over 10 years.

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don’t know what’s going in at Blue Water-that seems very odd. Re Spinnaker: no issues with a Waterside resale week. We’ve deposited into Rci when not using our week for over 10 years.

I don’t believe RCI is the issue. I have owned a Waterside week for a number of years which was purchased resale. While Waterside does trade in II I was informed several years ago that my week was not eligible for deposit into II as it was a resale (II enrollment and deposit options only extended to the original direct purchase owner). This benefit didn’t transfer at the time of resale. Unfortunately I can’t help with documents that specifically spell this out.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't know exactly how Spinnaker works here, but is it possible that II trades at a "club level" and RCI is trading at the resort level? Meaning, RCI is affiliated with each resort but II is only affiliated to Spinnaker as a whole and only those in the "club" can use II? Does SPinnaker only trade with weeks or do they also have a mini system?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
That matches with what they told me. They used to be with RCI, but switched to II, and you have to have a developer contract to trade in II. There is no Blue Water in RCI, so I guess they made the switch to II before they started selling there.

Blue Water is nice enough, but If I am staying on HHI at this point in my life I want to be much closer to a good beach. If I had a boat to dock there, I might reconsider.

I don’t believe RCI is the issue. I have owned a Waterside week for a number of years which was purchased resale. While Waterside does trade in II I was informed several years ago that my week was not eligible for deposit into II as it was a resale (II enrollment and deposit options only extended to the original direct purchase owner). This benefit didn’t transfer at the time of resale. Unfortunately I can’t help with documents that specifically spell this out.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The moving lips for the presentation I attended only talked about weeks (and specifically II) for Blue Water. The post I was typing at the same time you were posting this noted that the developer used to be partnered with RCI. So if you have a contract (or perhaps resort) from that era, RCI is an option.

I look forward to continuing to trade into Spinnaker ... but I have no desire to own with them.

I don't know exactly how Spinnaker works here, but is it possible that II trades at a "club level" and RCI is trading at the resort level? Meaning, RCI is affiliated with each resort but II is only affiliated to Spinnaker as a whole and only those in the "club" can use II? Does SPinnaker only trade with weeks or do they also have a mini system?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I look forward to continuing to trade into Spinnaker ... but I have no desire to own with them.

Getting the better views and not having to pay the resort fee and I just like Blue water's 3 Bedrooms better than all but the Marriott;s on HHI. Still might be a 3BR EOY in my future. I would think renting it out would be better than depositing in II anyway but that is because I am happy with The Colonies and SBP as my main deposits when I want to make an exchange.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had friends staying on HHI with us. We stayed in a 3BR at Island Links. Our friends stayed at a 3BR at Waterside (where I have also stayed before). I like the 3BR units at Waterside a lot. We completely lucked out (for our friends this time) with a free RCI upgrade request landing a 3BR vs. the 2BR we had booked.

My favorite (reasonably likely to succeed) RCI trade on the island at this point, though are the 3BR cottages at Port O'Call. (Beach access is a part of my reasoning, and not 100% a room rating.)

My #1 favorite place on HHI (I have been to this far) is Ocean Oak using my HGVC membership. But I am plenty happy with other things that can be traded into through RCI.

If staying there in shoulder season (when too cool for ocean swimming), I would definitely be interested in Blue Water. For Waterside, to me a better view is not a huge deal. But Blue Water certainly has some units with awesome views.

Getting the better views and not having to pay the resort fee and I just like Blue water's 3 Bedrooms better than all but the Marriott;s on HHI. Still might be a 3BR EOY in my future. I would think renting it out would be better than depositing in II anyway but that is because I am happy with The Colonies and SBP as my main deposits when I want to make an exchange.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Send them a letter demanding that they honor you request to add the week to II, and send a copy to the South Carolina Real Estate Commission (they regulate timeshare developers and exchanging) in Columbia. If you have a personal lawyer, copy him, too.

You might also want to talk to a South Carolina lawyer to see if you could use the SC equivalent of NC's Unfair and Deceptive Business Practices Act. This often pushes companies to back down from such highhanded practices since such laws often provide for treble damages to plaintiffs plus recovering attorneys fees. For an open and shut case, that makes it easier to find an attorney who would take the case with a low (or perhaps no) retainer.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spinnaker Bluewater Resort in Hilton Head is a member of Interval International. I have Sheraton and Marriott units and have them in my Interval International account in case I want to trade one of them. I have three Bluewater units that I bought aftermarket. I have had these units for three years and enjoy them. I contacted Interval to add my Bluewater units to my account and paid the fee to have them added. However when Interval contacted Spinnaker they refused to allow my units to be placed in Interval because they stated that only units bought from the developer can be placed in Interval. I asked for them to provide me the written policy that states this and they have not responded. Has anyone else had this issue?
Yes, I have. I bought Waterside by Spinnaker from an owner on TUG. I've had it for about 5, maybe 6 years now and have always deposited it into my RCI account. When I noticed that II was offering Waterside as an exchange I decided to deposit it into II. Well, like you, that didn't happen. I contacted Spinnaker and asked them why II would not accept my deposit and I got the same answer you did. "Your week has to be purchased from the developer". I think that's a bunch of bull. What difference does it make?? A week is a week no matter who you bought it from..

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I have. I bought Waterside by Spinnaker from an owner on TUG. I've had it for about 5, maybe 6 years now and have always deposited it into my RCI account. When I noticed that II was offering Waterside as an exchange I decided to deposit it into II. Well, like you, that didn't happen. I contacted Spinnaker and asked them why II would not accept my deposit and I got the same answer you did. "Your week has to be purchased from the developer". I think that's a bunch of bull. What difference does it make?? A week is a week no matter who you bought it from..
Waterside is different. Fixed week owners have never been able to deposit into RCI. Flex week owners at Waterside (I was one of these- bought resale) can't deposit into rci. The spinnaker flex options is a trust and those are the only ones that could be deposited into II. I owned that one until 2020. I don't know if they are still allowing resale flex option owners to use II but in 2015-2020 at least they could but could not use rci. At least if you own the fixed week at rci you know that you will have an exchange company. It sounds like now they are trying to take away any opportunity to belong to an exchange company if you don't purchase direct.