• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Space Shuttle Discovery coming to D.C. April 17

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The Space Shuttle Discovery will be doing a fly over D.C. between 10 a.m. and 11a.m. on Tuesday then landing at Dulles before being transported to the Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Va.

From http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/discovery/
WELCOME, DISCOVERY!

Exciting News About Space Shuttle Discovery Fly-Over

NASA has announced Space Shuttle Discovery will fly over the Washington, DC metro area April 17. The flight is scheduled to occur between 10:00 and 11:00 am EDT and will fly near a variety of landmarks such as the National Mall, Reagan National Airport, National Harbor, and the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. Read the NASA announcement.

Check out these great locations around town where you can spot the shuttle.

Please note: the exact route and timing of the flight depend on weather and operational constraints.

The Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum is planning a festival of activities -- Welcome Discovery -- to celebrate the acquisition of the Space Shuttle Discovery. The festival will begin when the orbiter arrives in the D.C. area on April 17 and will feature four days of space-related activities, performances, appearances by space pioneers, films, and displays at the shuttle's new home, the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Va. Activities at the Center will kick off on April 19 when Discovery will be officially transferred by NASA into the Smithsonian's collection in an outdoor ceremony open to the public.

The Welcome Discovery festival is presented in cooperation with NASA. Support for the Welcome Discovery ceremony is generously provided by The Boeing Company and Lockheed Martin Corporation. All activities are offered free of charge but there is a $15 parking fee at the Udvar-Hazy Center.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
that going to be neat to see the shuttle atop the 747 that carries it around and at 1500 ft above ground will be a WOW factor for sure.

hope someone can get a video for us to see..

that will be a cool thing for sure. I was hoping to get up to DC to Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum but it may not be ready to see i suspect till sometime next year.

that will be neat to see a real shuttle in the museum..

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
that will be neat to see a real shuttle in the museum..

The space shuttle Enterprise has been in the museum at Dulles for years.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I think it sad that these billion-dollar machines (Endeavor = $1.7B) are now nothing more than museum pieces.
Meanwhile Americans must buy tickets on Soyuz capsules (designed in the 1960's) to get into space.

An astronaut on ISS matter of factly said recently that due to some nearby space debris, as a saftey precaution,
they retreated to their lifeboats, the two Soyuz capsules docked at the station... a poignant statement, I thought

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
The space shuttle Enterprise has been in the museum at Dulles for years.

As I recall, the Enterprise was not an actual functioning shuttle that could go into space. It was a prototype to test the design to fly in earth's atmosphere. That said, it is still pretty cool to see.

617bdecb2ef8488e98de3f2defb20ed6.jpg

Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center - National Air & Space Museum - Chantilly, VA

Last edited:

Ubil

TUG Member
Reaction score
As part of the Columbia investigation, pieces of Enterprise (leading edge of wings is what I remember) were removed. I thought that the testing destroyed some of the removed pieces. From the picture above it looks like nothing is missing. Last time I saw Enterprise (a few years ago), the pieces were still off.

Anyone know if the exhibit description says anything about this?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Unfortunately unless you are visiting one of the coasts (east or west), you won't be seeing a shuttle. They really needed one (or more) in other areas of the country. It should have also been mandated that access to view the shuttles was free to all visitors. It will be in DC, but the same can't be said for the other locations.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As part of the Columbia investigation, pieces of Enterprise (leading edge of wings is what I remember) were removed. I thought that the testing destroyed some of the removed pieces. From the picture above it looks like nothing is missing. Last time I saw Enterprise (a few years ago), the pieces were still off.

Anyone know if the exhibit description says anything about this?

I took the photo above in Dec. 2010 and do not recall any mention of pieces being removed as stated here. That's not to say that it wasn't . . . I just do not recall reading about it.

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
Real sore subject here in the Dayton area...:bawl:

We fully expected one of the retiring shuttles to be sent to the Air Force Museum...excuse me, The National Museum of the United States Air Force...

Sad really, here we have a huge series hangers and the shuttle would have been a natual fit...and free of charge. Imagine that, right smack-dab in the middle of the country in one of the biggest free museums in the world...

Here's a link, worth a look if you have an aviation mindset.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Cool fact - lots of German a/c took to the skies in and around WPAFB during and immediately after WWII as our scientist and engineers did their thing.

I work on the base and we often take a lunch on the museum grounds...lots of unit memorials out there...most folks have no concept of just how many young men died in the Army Air Corps.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Real sore subject here in the Dayton area...:bawl:

We fully expected one of the retiring shuttles to be sent to the Air Force Museum...excuse me, The National Museum of the United States Air Force...

Sad really, here we have a huge series hangers and the shuttle would have been a natual fit...and free of charge. Imagine that, right smack-dab in the middle of the country in one of the biggest free museums in the world...

Here's a link, worth a look if you have an aviation mindset.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Cool fact - lots of German a/c took to the skies in and around WPAFB during and immediately after WWII as our scientist and engineers did their thing.

I work on the base and we often take a lunch on the museum grounds...lots of unit memorials out there...most folks have no concept of just how many young men died in the Army Air Corps.

I agree . . . I also thought one should go to NASA in Houston as well.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
There simply aren't enough Shuttles to go to all the deserving museums and locations. I'm just glad they are not being scrapped.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club, Carlsbad Inn
My daughter just called to tell me that she watched Discovery being towed through DC.

The space shuttle represents the space program to her generation. She was thrilled to see it and I'm sure that we'll be going to see it on our next visit to DC.

May mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw it. It did about 4 loops thru downtown DC, so I saw it all 4 times. Tons of folks on rooftops over here on Capitol Hill. Having problems with attaching pictures but here's one.

Attachments

• DSCF1755.jpg
    DSCF1755.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 37

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club, Carlsbad Inn
neat photo.

My husband took the call so maybe she meant flew over the National Mall. Duh! Lost in translation!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
nasa_discovery_flyover_washington_17Apr121-878x675.jpg

120418-shuttle-discovery-smithsonian-flyover-hmed-113a.grid-6x2.jpg

20122041700007hq.jpg

7090427467_6a93aa5769_z.jpg

Robert Markowitz/ NASA Photos

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Two more Robert Markowitz Photo's I thought I included but inadvertently left out:

7090427467_6a93aa5769_z.jpg

d22_RTR30VA9.jpg

Richard

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Great pictures!

Does anyone know: are those extra rudders on the back of the 747, or just verticle stabilizers? They look really unique.

Kurt