• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Spa circuit board shorted out- worth upgrading to a wireless system?

glenn1000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our spa circuit board shorted out. Our spa is about 25 years old and replacing just the old circuit board would be over $1000. Alternatively, we were advised that it is possible to upgrade the control panel system, poolside control and get a wireless remote for $2900. Has anyone done this, any opinions and does this seem to be within reason?

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I understand your situation correctly, the control panel on your hot tub is fried? If this is correct, you should be able to replace it for under $500 in parts (less if it's just the user interface). It's a pretty simple replacement if it's semi-standard equipment. Go search for "Balboa control" on eBay and see if there isn't something that would do the trick.

If I misunderstood your situation, then please disregard.

glenn1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I understand your situation correctly, the control panel on your hot tub is fried? If this is correct, you should be able to replace it for under $500 in parts (less if it's just the user interface).

It's an older spa and the wiring is definitely not easy- a job for a professional. Between the part and labor the cost is just over $1000. I'm wondering if an additional $1900 to upgrade the system is worth it in case anyone has faced a similar situation.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's an older spa and the wiring is definitely not easy- a job for a professional. Between the part and labor the cost is just over $1000. I'm wondering if an additional $1900 to upgrade the system is worth it in case anyone has faced a similar situation.

Is it the user interface (spa side -- DC) or the control box inside the tub (the AC portion with heater, pump control, etc)?

I wouldn't replace anything on a 25 year old tub if it cost $2900, personally.

glenn1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it the user interface (spa side -- DC) or the control box inside the tub (the AC portion with heater, pump control, etc)?

I wouldn't replace anything on a 25 year old tub if it cost $2900, personally.

The shorted panel is in the control box (AC) but if we upgrade then we'll need to replace both portions (control box and spa side) so they are compatible. That's part of the reason for the higher cost.

Since we haven't used the spa much I considered having it pulled out or filled with cement. Either would cost more than fixing it (it's built underground in a stone patio) and, with teenage kids, they are starting to use the spa with friends.

If I just spent the minimum $1000 for the new circuit board I'm afraid that it might short out again since it will remain the same old system. If you would not do the $2900 upgrade, what would you do? Any other options? :doh:

oldman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If its 25 years old I'd be surprized if its digital. My system is 22 years old and I'm told the replacement systems were made digital about 15 years ago. That aside, I find my non-digital parts at websites like spadepot.com - where you can see pictures of the replacement parts and ensure they at least "look" correct (relays, switches, etc.). If the electrical repair (labor) is expensive it couldn't be digital. You can purchase an entire skid mounted digital unit at spaguts.com for under $2,000...just connect it to the plumbing.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The shorted panel is in the control box (AC) but if we upgrade then we'll need to replace both portions (control box and spa side) so they are compatible. That's part of the reason for the higher cost.

Since we haven't used the spa much I considered having it pulled out or filled with cement. Either would cost more than fixing it (it's built underground in a stone patio) and, with teenage kids, they are starting to use the spa with friends.

If I just spent the minimum $1000 for the new circuit board I'm afraid that it might short out again since it will remain the same old system. If you would not do the $2900 upgrade, what would you do? Any other options? :doh:

Ok, I just now got that it's built in-ground.

Hard to say what I'd do without seeing the system. I would guess, and it's only a guess, that diagnosing the exact location of the problem in the control box wouldn't be that difficult (transformer, relay, cap, etc). I would probably try to do that, and go from there. If that didn't work, I'd consider retrofitting a new digital control into the unit. Maybe something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Balboa-Hot-...oryZ3243QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Obviously, all just speculation on my part since I don't know all the specifics. At any rate, best of luck to you!

Jim