• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest credit card?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
We use the Costco card for everything. However, Citi Costco has been taking away perks so we are thinking about adding another card. One possible card is the Southwest card ($69 annual fee, 75,000 bonus points, 3,000 annual points). From what I read the points are worth about 1.4 cents.

Anyone have this card? If so, is it worth it?

Thanks!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to use the SW card, but they took away (or reduced) the perks, so we've switched over to an Alaska Visa for it's annual companion fare. We also use a Costco card, but mostly for Costco purchases and our (now) minuscule gas purchases.

Reactions: RX8

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
We use the SW card for everything possible which results in the majority of our airline costs being covered with their rewards points. Very happy with it.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We use the Costco card for everything. However, Citi Costco has been taking away perks so we are thinking about adding another card.

What perks is Citi taking away from the Costco card?

Dave

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
What perks is Citi taking away from the Costco card?

Dave

A few years ago the card lost the trip cancellation/interruption coverage. Effective January 2023, the extended warranty coverage is being dropped.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Airline credit cards are a good source of ff miles, but most ff programs have been devalued since the merger mania of US airlines. For years, I always had an airline credit card for the airline that was my airline of choice at that point in time - starting with AmEx Delta, and then through NW, UA, and finally AA. Now, with most ff programs being more frequent buyer than frequent flyer (using dollars over miles), I fly by price and by airline sevice (mostly European carriers for TATL) and let my years of airline elite status go by the boards. I use credit cards that provide cash back instead of miles. I also use cards that do not have foreign use surcharges.

I would suggest comparing the return on cards giving ff miles and ones giving cash back, and also factor in annual fees or lack of same, and if you travel overseas, also whether they charge a foreign use surcharge.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
If I spend $25,000 on travel/ maintenance fees with my Chase Sapphire Reserve, I receive 3X points for all travel (rental cars, hotels, airfare). I can transfer those 75,000 points to Southwest. I have kept my SW card, however, because I do get points each year that equal the amount of the credit card fee. I am a fan of Southwest. Rick doesn't love Southwest because he is tall and has back problems. We won't fly long distances on SW, but even for MCO to/from Denver, it's okay.

I know the fees are high on the CSR, but I get so much value for it, including the lounge benefit. There is a lounge at DEN that we have visited twice. We took our kids and grandkids in early October. It was a restaurant with a decent menu. We were at the lounge in MCO and it was really nice to sit in a quiet location for snacks and beverages. The one at SJC is also pretty great. SFO as well.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I agree about the Citi Costco card. We will hang onto it because it is free and helps our credit rating aging as it is one of the oldest cards in our quiver. We only use it for 4% gas now. I don't even use it for Costco purchases because I can use a 2% cash visa card and receive 2% back in one month online vs. waiting all year to get my Costco refund and having to physically travel to a store to cash it.

We have the Southwest card - one business and one DH. I will be applying for a new one to renew my companion fare while bonus points are high.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We used to use the SW card, but they took away (or reduced) the perks, so we've switched over to an Alaska Visa for it's annual companion fare. We also use a Costco card, but mostly for Costco purchases and our (now) minuscule gas purchases.
I have the SW Rapid Rewards Priority card. I used to have an Alaska Airlines one, but I got rid of it as it wasn't doing anything for me or the flights we needed.

What perks did the SW card get rid of? I get upgrades to their business class (the first 15 boarding numbers) free if available. I also get 7500 points each year on my anniversary and a $75/year travel credit, 3 times the points on SW purchases.

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably worth it for the 75,000 Rapid Rewards points bonus (received after reaching the spending requirement) alone, which is worth more than $1,000. After you earn the bonus, there may be better credit cards out there for actual usage, depending on your particular situation.

The 75,000 point offer my mom just received ends tomorrow (Monday, December 5th).

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
A friend has a SW card and uses it for everything. The ff points cover his twice annual round trip to Vegas.

DW and I have Delta Amex Platinum. Each get a companion flight plus the miles. The perks you mentioned being dropped are part of the Delta Amex perks. Along with discount access to Delta airport lounge.

Reaction score
I just received the Delta Plantinum AmEx card (not the physical, just approved and waiting). My simple strategy is to apply to the top-tier card, just don't do them all at once! My credit took a slight hit, but in the long run, I now have the CapitalOne Venture Card (as well as several store credit cards). As I have said in other posts, I use my card for all expenses and bills, it will pay off in free (or extremely discounted) travel and purchasing. The only real perks I wanted with that is the 1 free bag and Delta points/standing.

Along that note, I also have a Lowe's CC, they give cardholders 5% off. Or a Target RedCard Debit (and their credit card) takes your purchase, removes 5%, then charges the balance to your card. It pays to have store credit cards also! For my pussycat, I have a Petco card, gives double rewards points and other perks a normal person does not get.

TS

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I just received the Delta Plantinum AmEx card (not the physical, just approved and waiting). My simple strategy is to apply to the top-tier card, just don't do them all at once! My credit took a slight hit, but in the long run, I now have the CapitalOne Venture Card (as well as several store credit cards). As I have said in other posts, I use my card for all expenses and bills, it will pay off in free (or extremely discounted) travel and purchasing. The only real perks I wanted with that is the 1 free bag and Delta points/standing.

Along that note, I also have a Lowe's CC, they give cardholders 5% off. Or a Target RedCard Debit (and their credit card) takes your purchase, removes 5%, then charges the balance to your card. It pays to have store credit cards also! For my pussycat, I have a Petco card, gives double rewards points and other perks a normal person does not get.

TS
Be careful and review the Delta Reserve Amex card perks before applying. DW applied and received one. We found the miles awards went down with the Reserve. For example, with Platinum if I use it to charge dinner at a restaurant I get 2 points for every dollar. With Reserve it's just 1 point per dollar. In fact, from what I read, the only real advantage of the Reserve card is the companion airfare is a 1st/Business Class seat. But, annual fee jumped to $550.

The only real bonus appears to be the signup bonus. It's 100,000 points after you spend $10k in the first 3 months.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say yes to the SW card, but only if you can maximize it and eventtually earn a Companion Pass with the help of the 75K SUB. If you fly SW, the CP is one of the best travel benefits available.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/earn-southwest-companion-pass-new-year/

If not, then I would would say no, get a card that has more flexibility. Cindy mentioned the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which is also always in my travel hacking playbook. But, it is not a card for everyone because the annual fee is high (but well worth it when you break down all you get from it). I close second is the Chase Sapphire Preferred card for a much more reasonable annual fee. The reason why the Sapphire line is beneficial is flexibility with point usage. You can transfer them at a 1:1 ratio to travel partners. Here is the list. You can also use your points at 1.25 (preferred) or 1.50 (reserve) for travel purchase via their portal. You can also simply cash them out if you want the cash.

Chase travel partners:
1670327292250.png