• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest companion flies free in Winter 2021!

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Bought one!

Cheers

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Dang, I wish I was retired, I would love to take advantage of this deal...

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This is basically 25% off both trips. Not bad but nothing to write home about.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
This is basically 25% off both trips. Not bad but nothing to write home about.
It can be much, much more. First off, the first "qualifying" flight can be just you; no need to buy two tickets. Then you will earn the Companion Pass that is valid from 1/6/21 - 2/28/21. You can use the Companion Pass as many times as you want. You could fly every day, and your companion would fly free with you.

Kurt

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Sounds good

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
It can be much, much more. First off, the first "qualifying" flight can be just you; no need to buy two tickets. Then you will earn the Companion Pass that is valid from 1/6/21 - 2/28/21. You can use the Companion Pass as many times as you want. You could fly every day, and your companion would fly free with you.

Kurt
Oh wow, I thought it was a single use coupon. May have to try this for ski season.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Oh wow, I thought it was a single use coupon. May have to try this for ski season.

Since Southwest now flys direct to Steamboat, it is the reason I bought an el Cheapo ($100) R/T Ticket for a day trip for myself in order to qualify. Now I can take somebody for free on a Wanna Get Away fare for several long weekend trips to the ‘Boat or elswhere.

Cheers

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if I can just buy a one way ticket but not use it.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I’m wondering if I can just buy a one way ticket but not use it.
Rules say you must buy and fly. Also, it is further limited by the fact you cannot book your companion flight until the award is issued Jan 1. So to get cheap (14 days in advance) flights, you really are limited to about 1/15 through 2/28, or 45 days.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP: Thanks for the information.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rules say you must buy and fly. Also, it is further limited by the fact you cannot book your companion flight until the award is issued Jan 1. So to get cheap (14 days in advance) flights, you really are limited to about 1/15 through 2/28, or 45 days.
Not quite -- you can book your flight and then add the companion later. So you can book that Jan 8th flight now, even, and just add the companion on Jan 1. And I would recommend that, as the cheaper fares sell out first (of course). With Southwest, if there is any available seat on the plane, you can book your companion; the same fare class does not need to be available (it's all coach, but there is Business Select, Anytime, and Wanna Get Away fares).

If by some chance the flight is completely full and you can't book your companion, you can always just change your flight or cancel and get a full credit for future use, since there are no cancellation fees.

I've had Southwest's Companion Pass for a couple of years, and we are always making changes to our bookings. To date, we have never had to forfeit a single dollar due to us cancelling or changing flights, and we have done a lot of that in the last year!

Kurt

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Not quite -- you can book your flight and then add the companion later. So you can book that Jan 8th flight now, even, and just add the companion on Jan 1. And I would recommend that, as the cheaper fares sell out first (of course). With Southwest, if there is any available seat on the plane, you can book your companion; the same fare class does not need to be available (it's all coach, but there is Business Select, Anytime, and Wanna Get Away fares).

If by some chance the flight is completely full and you can't book your companion, you can always just change your flight or cancel and get a full credit for future use, since there are no cancellation fees.

I've had Southwest's Companion Pass for a couple of years, and we are always making changes to our bookings. To date, we have never had to forfeit a single dollar due to us cancelling or changing flights, and we have done a lot of that in the last year!

Kurt
Thanks for that info.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I was hoping it extended thru April?

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read the rules differently. I see January 6 as the first day to purchase the primary ticket, but can it be interpreted to mean that's the first date to add the companion ticket???

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Sounds nice, but we can't take advantage. We're minimizing our air trips

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been paying much attention to my SW CP since we haven't been flying.....but I just logged in an noticed the one I have now which would expire on 12/31/20 has been extended to 06/30/21.

Reaction score
If you plan it out right, there are no conditions on the Fall 2020 flight. So, you could get a small hop flight for $100 round-trip. Like for me, I could hop on an SWA flight from MCO to Fort Lauderdale real cheap. Then, all Winter, free companion! Due to my wife being in the ICU (multiple infections, Covid-19 negative), I'm not doing any traveling for a while.

TS

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great deal! I wish we could take advantage of this, but not an option for us due to Covid restrictions for Canadians. Any time we are flying to the U.S, we drive to Buffalo and take Southwest. We luv this airline!

Dori

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I haven't been paying much attention to my SW CP since we haven't been flying.....but I just logged in an noticed the one I have now which would expire on 12/31/20 has been extended to 06/30/21.
Yes, Southwest announced that they extended the expiration date six months for all CP holders back around April or May, I believe.

Kurt

DRIless

Reaction score
*Does not include taxes and fees from $5.60 one-way.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
*Does not include taxes and fees from $5.60 one-way.
I've never had the taxes and fees be more than $5.60 for any domestic one-way itinerary. Not sure if they are more for international.

Kurt

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never had the taxes and fees be more than $5.60 for any domestic one-way itinerary. Not sure if they are more for international.

Kurt

I recall international being much higher on our trips to Aruba - in my head I'm thinking it was around $125 round trip????