• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southern California

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to plan for our August trip to Newport Coast (Marriott). I understand I'm somewhere in between San Diego and LA. There are places in both areas that we'd like to visit, including Disney California. Which airport should we fly in and out of or does it not really matter? If I'm adding on 2 hotel nights should it be at San Diego or LA? I was thinking of a Disney hotel....which area would it be easier to stay instead of doing multiple day trips from Newport Coast? Thank you for any feedback you can share.
Andrea

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, NCV is closer to Disneyland than San Diego by a pretty good stretch. We were at NCV a couple of months ago and DL is only about 30-45 minutes away. I think the Orange County (John Wayne) Airport is the closest (and most easily accessible) airport but LAX may offer better fares and more frequent flights. If you search the forum you will find some suggestions but, Newport Beach is pretty cool and the Aquarium of the Pacific is worth a visit. In my opinion, San Diego has a lot to offer (Sea World, the Harbor tours, Balboa Park, the SD Zoo to name a few) but you can easily spend a day or two in each of the the two DL Parks (Disneyland and California Adventure). The drive can be a little daunting (traffic and lengthwise) but, it is beautiful along the coast. I especially like to take the Coast train. I would say, add on two nights in San Diego. Have fun.:)

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is another airport to consider: Long Beach Municipal to compare fares. JetBlue flies into it, and you may find attractive fares. It is further than SNA (Santa Ana/Orange Co Airport) but closer than LA to Newport Coast -- and much smaller. :)

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point, CathyB. Especially since the OP is from Long Island area. I forgot all about JetBlue!:clap:

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
If you are willing to have a one-stop flight, Southwest Air goes to John Wayne/Orange County. Their prices are really reasonable and Islip MacArthur Airport is really convenient for those living on Long Island.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We flew into Long Beach on Jetblue and it was really easy. The drive to DL wasn't far at all.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Long Beach airport is one of the best little secrets in flying in and out of S.Cal. When I lived 15 minutes from the place I often flew in and out of it. It's still relatively small and is very easy to get in and out of.

LAX has many more flights and as a result the airfare tends to be better. I now live relatively close to LAX and end up flying from there most of the time now. I also end up very annoyed at the all the hassel at LAX as well as waiting a minimum of 30 minutes before the luggage starts coming down the baggage carrosel.

Long Beach is great.

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. I looked into all suggestions and I think Jet Blue will work with JFK to LGB then SAN to JFK. Now I just have to decide if $400 is high and maybe I should wait. But for summer vacation I may only see rates climb.

Mom2MNEm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you booked yet, but we are going to Ca in August. Staying in Oceanside. I found that LAX had igher fares. Lga to John Wayne ( SNA) was $100 cheaper RT per ticket. $280 ( total 1400 for 5 of us) as compared to $400 per ticket to San Diego or LAX. I haven't booked yet , but that price tempts me.

Lisa

Bill4728

Reaction score
LAX & Orange County (SNA) are a pain in the neck to fly into or out of. LAX because it is so big. Orange county (SNA) because it it so over crowded (there are frequently too many flight for the number of gates). The last 2 times we flew thru SNA we had to wait over 1 1/2 hours for our flight to get to the gate even though it had landed on time.

We now always try to fly into Long Beach. It may be farther from NCV than SNA, but never had any kind of delay there.