• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

South Florida west coast timeshares

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Besides Marriott and Hyatt timeshares what other top-tier timeshares
from Tampa through Marco Island would you recommend?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hgvc Eagles Nest Marco Island, Hgvc Surf Club Marco Island, any of the HGVC in Captiva or Sanibel, Sanibel Beach Club II, Hivc Sunset Cove Marco Island. There are many other very nice timeshare in southwest Florida to go to but I wouldn’t call them top tier.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Hgvc Eagles Nest Marco Island, Hgvc Surf Club Marco Island, any of the HGVC in Captiva or Sanibel, Sanibel Beach Club II, Hivc Sunset Cove Marco Island. There are many other very nice timeshare in southwest Florida to go to but I wouldn’t call them top tier.

I can second her recommendations and add my own about the HGVC resorts. We've stayed at the Charter Club on Marco Island. Casa Ybel on Sanibel Island. On Captiva the Plantation Beach House and Plantation Beach Club. We like both but prefer the location of Plantation House.

We also stayed at the Lighthouse Resort on Sanibel and and Sanibel Beach Club II can recommend them too.

We stayed at Sarasota Sands in Sarasota on Lido Key and really the beach there and the resort too. Our one bedroom unit wasn't what we'd had when we stayed in the two bedroom units at the other resorts but it had everything we needed and we would go back.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
HGVC.

Most of the SW Florida Timeshares were started by a company name Captran in the 70's and 80's, by a guy from Bowling Green University.

Keith Trowbridge developed the first successful purpose-built interval ownership resort in the United States in 1974, Florida’s Sanibel Beach Club, a 31-unit condominium project built and completely sold out in 18 months. He founded Captran Resorts International, Ltd. At its peak in the late 1970s, that company posted annual timeshare sales of $50 million.

Many of their resorts were not "purpose-built", but, rather, they were re-purposed motels.

I understood what you mean by "top-tier", those corporate-branded resorts folks are so fond of now, but that is not the history in SW FL.

We vacationed in SW FL timeshares for many, many years, never stayed in a top-tier resort, and were always 100% satisfied. Still are.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
It's been years since I spent any time on my study of SW FL resorts, so this is from a long time ago. But, note how few of them would be considered top-tier corporate-name-brand ones. The ones we've stayed at are in bold.

SW FL Resort Ratings:

1. Hyatt Siesta Key 10
2. Cottages at South Seas 9.25
3. Hyatt Coconut Plantation, Bonita Springs 9.25
4. Sanibel Cottages 9.14
5. Sunset Cove, Marco Island 9.13
6. Plantation House at South Seas 9.00
7. Limetree Beach Resort, Sarasota 9.00
8. Hurricane House, Sanibel 8.83
9. Longboat Bay Club, Longboat Key 8.78
10. Charter Club of Naples Bay 8.75
11. Marriott's Crystal Shores, Marco Island 8.71
12. Little Gull, Longboat Key 8.71
13. Gulf Tides, Longboat Key 8.70
14. Charter Club of Marco 8.66
15. Tortuga Beach Club, Sanibel 8.59
16. Sanibel Beach Club 8.57
17. Shell Island Beach Club 8.55
18. Club Regency, Marco 8.50
19. Eagles' Nest, Marco 8.47
20. Sanibel Beach Club II 8.42
21. Umbrella Beach Resort, Holmes Beach 8.29
22. Calini Beach Club 8.20
23. Casa Ybel, Sanibel 8.18
24. Gulf Stream, Bradenton Beach 8.17
25. Plantation Beach Club at South Seas 8.00
26. Bel Air Beach Club, FMB 8.00
27. White Sands of Longboat 8.00
28. Suntide Island Beach Club, Sarasota 8.00
29. Sandpiper, Siesta Key 8.00
30. Island Towers, FMB 7.80
31. South Seas Club 7.80
32. Sea Club V, Siesta 7.75
33. Surf Club, Marco 7.73
34. Surfrider, Sanibel 7.69
35. Seawatch, FMB 7.67
36. Marina Village at Snug Harbor 7.60
37. Kahlua Beach Club 7.50
38. Lighthouse, Sanibel 7.50
39. Harbourview Villas at South Seas 7.50
40. Gulf Pointe of Naples 7.50
41. The Penthouses at Gulf Stream 7.50
42. Resort 66, Homes Beach 7.35
43. Vanderbilt Beach and Harbour Club 7.33
44. Bonita Resort and Club 7.33
45. Estero Island Beach Club 7.25
46. Lehigh Resort Club 7.20
47. Tropical Sands 7.13
48. Mariner's Boathouse 7.00
49. Caribbean Beach Club 7.00
50. Sunrise Bay, Marco 7.00
51. Charlotte Bay 7.00
52. Windward Passage 6.93
53. Lahaina Inn 6.83
54. Four Winds of Longboat Key 6.75
55. Fishermans' Village 6.69
56. White Sands, Naples 6.50
57. Royal Beach Club 6.50
58. Smugglers' Cove, Bradenton Beach 6.33
59. Sandcastle Beach Club 6.00
60. Siesta Sands, Sarasota 5.75
61. Englewood Beach and Yacht Club 5.60
62. Sea Oats 5.58

63. Sea Club I, FMB 5.50
64. Marco Resort & Club 5.30
Sarasota Sands ?
Sandrift, Naples ?
Lovers' Key ?
Plantation Bay Villas at South Seas ?
Caribe Beach Resort ?
Via Roma Beach Resort

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC.

Most of the SW Florida Timeshares were started by a company name Captran in the 70's and 80's, by a guy from Ball State University.

Keith Trowbridge developed the first successful purpose-built interval ownership resort in the United States in 1974, Florida’s Sanibel Beach Club, a 31-unit condominium project built and completely sold out in 18 months. He founded Captran Resorts International, Ltd. At its peak in the late 1970s, that company posted annual timeshare sales of $50 million.

Many of their resorts were not "purpose-built", but, rather, they were re-purposed motels.

I understood what you mean by "top-tier", those corporate-branded resorts folks are so fond of now, but that is not the history in SW FL.

We vacationed in SW FL timeshares for many, many years, never stayed in a top-tier resort, and were always 100% satisfied. Still are.

Asking a question, not starting an argument. What you quoted correctly notes that SBC I (where we own) was purpose built. SBC II and LR&C were also purpose built. Which Captran Resorts were re-purposed motels?

Thanks.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Asking a question, not starting an argument. What you quoted correctly notes that SBC I (where we own) was purpose built. SBC II and LR&C were also purpose built. Which Captran Resorts were re-purposed motels?

Thanks.

Good question. Captran developed 35 resorts total, but it would take a really good search, or a question directed to someone else, to nail them all down. BTW, Sanibel Beach Club sold out in 18 months. Not bad for the first purpose-built timeshare in the US.

If you remember the times, the mid-70's, or have read about it, it was a time of high inflation and would have been a tough market.

Keep in mind that this was before the Seigels and Wilsons of the TS world started their mega-resorts in Orlando.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Here's Captran resort brochures and price sheets (58 Pages):

http://nebula.wsimg.com/9d50aad5e18...52F0A154A04CBBFF4&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I'll go through it and list the resorts (circa 1980-ish):

Sanibel Beach Club II
Sand Castle Beach Club
Shell Island Beach Club
Sanibel Beach Club
Caribbean Beach Club
Lighthouse Resort and Club
Kahlua Beach Club
Penthouse Beach Club
Seagull Beach Club
Freeport Resort and Club
Daytona Resort and Club
Bonita Resort and Club
Estero Island Inn

Well, that's 13 of the 35.

There's a wealth of revealing information in that packet. All the prices, promotions and sales figures. Some of the listings mention "Original Building(s) and New Constructions. Who knew they operated the Interval College on Sanibel?

Related to the OP, the HGVCs and Marriotts and Hyatts did not come along until much later.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Here's Captran resort brochures and price sheets (58 Pages):

http://nebula.wsimg.com/9d50aad5e18...52F0A154A04CBBFF4&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I'll go through it and list the resorts (circa 1980-ish):

Sanibel Beach Club II
Sand Castle Beach Club
Shell Island Beach Club
Sanibel Beach Club
Caribbean Beach Club
Lighthouse Resort and Club
Kahlua Beach Club
Penthouse Beach Club
Seagull Beach Club
Freeport Resort and Club
Daytona Resort and Club
Bonita Resort and Club
Estero Island Inn

Well, that's 13 of the 35.

There's a wealth of revealing information in that packet. All the prices, promotions and sales figures. Some of the listings mention "Original Building(s) and New Constructions. Who knew they operated the Interval College on Sanibel?

Related to the OP, the HGVCs and Marriotts and Hyatts did not come along until much later.
What an interesting pack of information. I just had time to look at a few pages but my curiosity will make me look at it all when I have time. Thank you for sharing.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
What an interesting pack of information. I just had time to look at a few pages but my curiosity will make me look at it all when I have time. Thank you for sharing.

Same here.

I have found a few old brochures online before, but when I opened this document this morning I was amazed. I just kept reading and reading and reading.

Can you imagine any of the timeshare companies today making all of that sensitive proprietary stuff public???!!

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is all very good stuff, OldGuy. Seems more and more information is available online. Thanks.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I can second her recommendations and add my own about the HGVC resorts. We've stayed at the Charter Club on Marco Island. Casa Ybel on Sanibel Island. On Captiva the Plantation Beach House and Plantation Beach Club. We like both but prefer the location of Plantation House.

We also stayed at the Lighthouse Resort on Sanibel and and Sanibel Beach Club II can recommend them too.

We stayed at Sarasota Sands in Sarasota on Lido Key and really the beach there and the resort too. Our one bedroom unit wasn't what we'd had when we stayed in the two bedroom units at the other resorts but it had everything we needed and we would go back.
Re-surfacing this post.
Are you finding these trades through RCI-weeks?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deleted; I had failed to notice that the "Captran" topic had not actually had any further input for over two years now. :doh:
Nonetheless, my belated thanks to OldGuy for providing a very interesting retrospective on a geographic area of personal interest to me. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
RCI points.
I have been looking into different options to travel to the area. But the buy-in to a resort company that has anything in the area have a high buy-in (Marriott, Hyatt).
Also need at least a two- bedroom.
On another forum, some people have offered suggestions for some independent resorts. But it is scary buying into something without easy location trade options.

Last edited:

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people at Sanibel Beach Club have said they bought there because they could not exchange into it. The statistics I've seen about usage at SBC show owners overwhelming use their units followed by rentals. Exchanges are very low. Many of the rentals are by owners renting from other owners via a "listserv" run by an owner. There is an active, on-site sales program with pretty good turnover. Buying into an independent resort on Sanibel is a good value. All the resorts seem to be well run and the location is good.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
But the buy-in to a resort company that has anything in the area have a high buy-in (Marriott, Hyatt).
Also need at least a two- bedroom.
the buy-ins for some HGVC affiliates in Marco are not that much-for ex. you can get a summer/fall flex week at Eagles Nest or Surf Club for $5K or less if you don't need prime/platinum season. There are 2 listed on a resale website currently. I read of someone buying one for $2500 last year, so I'd offer that to start. IMHO, after 10 years of RCI trading, in a non-Covid year, you'll have a VERY difficult time getting Jan-March weeks in SW FL.

Last edited:

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Which resale website are they on? Thanks

Reactions: Arb

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI

Sullco2

Reaction score
In a “Forest for the timeshare trees” observation, SW Florida has an unlimited number of fine, independently owned resort condos professionally managed and available for rent at rates approximately those of timeshare maintenance fees. They often feature the same quality and amenities that timeshare units do. Admittedly many of the communities limit weekly rentals in favor of longer required stays but it’s worth asking why people are so focused on timeshare properties if the goal is snagging a nice vacation accommodation. I tip my hat to TUG for everything they’ve done to educate the public but this seems to be a blind spot.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
In a “Forest for the timeshare trees” observation, SW Florida has an unlimited number of fine, independently owned resort condos professionally managed and available for rent at rates approximately those of timeshare maintenance fees. They often feature the same quality and amenities that timeshare units do. Admittedly many of the communities limit weekly rentals in favor of longer required stays but it’s worth asking why people are so focused on timeshare properties if the goal is snagging a nice vacation accommodation. I tip my hat to TUG for everything they’ve done to educate the public but this seems to be a blind spot.
Well, if you read the Wyndham forum you will find a person that always recommends renting.

Sullco2

Reaction score
Well, if you read the Wyndham forum you will find a person that always recommends renting.
Given the bandits you are surrounded by at Wyndham that’s understandable. I avoided mentioning that when you rent a 2/2 at a whole-ly owned community you don’t have to negotiate the sales presentation minefield. Clearly a benefit.