• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Son Antem Iberostar Relationship Terminated

thegamebird

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Marbella Beach Club & Phuket Beach Club
Just received via email. More change....

Dear Xxxxxx

We have formally received communication that the managing contract of the Son Antem Hotel with the Iberostar hotel group will be terminated with effect from 6th January 2016. We also have been informed that a replacement manager is being identified by the owner of the hotel and that the owner of the hotel will provide us with more information once the agreement is formalised between the owner and the new hotel management company. We will provide further information as we are able. Unfortunately, we have no additional information at this time nor do we have any involvement in the search for the new hotel operator.

Thanks,

Rance Ryan
MVCI Holidays SAS France
RVP Operations International
4 rue des Veaux
67000 Strasbourg, France

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received via email. More change....

Dear Xxxxxx

We have formally received communication that the managing contract of the Son Antem Hotel with the Iberostar hotel group will be terminated with effect from 6th January 2016. We also have been informed that a replacement manager is being identified by the owner of the hotel and that the owner of the hotel will provide us with more information once the agreement is formalised between the owner and the new hotel management company. We will provide further information as we are able. Unfortunately, we have no additional information at this time nor do we have any involvement in the search for the new hotel operator.

Thanks,

Rance Ryan
MVCI Holidays SAS France
RVP Operations International
4 rue des Veaux
67000 Strasbourg, France

I had heard of this eparately but I also received the email last night. This is a total mess. The property's owners have really screwed up here. They dumped Marriott as managers and chose a local hotel company based in Majorca. Unfortunately, they lost the global brand and global booking system that Marriott brought to the operation. Additionally, many of us owners stopped booking additional nights at the hotel to fill out a stay at the resort.

The 4th July used to be packed at the resort and hotel. After the change - it was deserted. No US expats coming in for the celebrations and going elsewhere in the Marriott family for their July 4th vacation.

Where will it go now. Well not back to Marriott certainly - owners would lose out big time since Marriott would drive a really hard bargain (as would I in their shoes). A starwood - well the owners are so clueless thatthey probably do not know that Marriott is buying Starwood.

So I can only see a move to another non-global brand - probably another of the Spanish chains but whatever the result can only be another step downhill.

Fortunately, the important facilities, SPA, Fitness Centre, Golf etc are MVCI owned so whoever takes over will need to do a deal with MVCI for reciprocal accessso that Hotel guests can access the MVCI facilities whilst Son Antem guests can access the hotel facilities (with a decent discount rate for hotel stays and at the hotel restaurant).

For me, I just got Hilton Hhonors status match to Diamond from my Marriott Platinum so my next hotel stay in Majorca will probably be at the nearby Hilton.

Worcesterdee

Reaction score
Haven't been to Son Antem for a few years but I agree that it can only be a further step downwards in standards and although I mainly eat out or barbecue I do like the option of eating at the hotel.

If the owners get the next decision wrong it could seriously impact my thoughts on returning any time soon.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't been to Son Antem for a few years but I agree that it can only be a further step downwards in standards and although I mainly eat out or barbecue I do like the option of eating at the hotel.

If the owners get the next decision wrong it could seriously impact my thoughts on returning any time soon.

We visit Son Antem every year and sometimes several times in the year. Since the hotel ceased to be managed by Marriott, the atmosphere in the hotel took a dive. Apart from a few corporate events, it looked quite empty most of the time even in Summer, god alone knows what it is like in the winter.

We always used the hotel bar for after dinner drinks when we returned from dinner out somewhare but when you are the only people in a bar it gets quite dreary. So we stopped doing that and set up our own bar in the villa.

There has not been much of an impact on our enjoyment of our vacations at Son Antem since the hotel management changed. Some things have improved. The MVCI front desk is a big improvement on the past where we used the hotel front desk to check in and out. The internet service is a massive improvement.

The Golf Club Restaurant has upped its game also but could still improve more.

I've seen and heard complaints about the SPA but much of that has not been caused by hotel guests.

I would hope that some sense of reality would have its impact on the owners decisions. A Marriott Hotel tied to a Marriott Timeshare has got to get some additional business from TS owners.

However I expect another twist in the downward spiral for this hotel.

JonP

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have visited Son Antem annually for the past 14 years during July/August and occasionally earlier in the year.

Despite our worst fears, when the hotel ceased to be operated by Marriott the response from MVCI was very positive. There was a significant increase in the quality of operation and service throughout the resort. The only negative was the reduction in Spa services and the changes to the Holistic area. There still remains issues with the golf courses but the weather over recent years has been a challenge for all courses on the island.

I had hoped the hotel would revert to Marriott as it did complete the unique experience provided at Son Antem. However, the recent email circular suggest this is highly unlikely. I understand the hotel is scheduled to reopen under new operators on 20th January 2016. Let's hope an operator who can work closely with MVCI is appointed.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
The upside to the hotel being barely occupied is that the outdoor spa pool (the only heated one) was not packed during the recent October half term. The villa pools and the large hotel pool were too cold.

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
According to http://www.hosteltur.com/114190_globalia-se-queda-gestion-hotel-son-antem.html the hotel will soon operate under the Be Live brand.
I had never heard of Be Live, but they're owned by Globalia, who also own Air Europa, and are headquartered in... Llucmajor! Seems proximity is a key consideration for the hotel owners... :ponder:
Sadly this looks like another step down from Marriott and Iberostar.
I have stayed at the hotel when it was a Marriott, and while I don't own at Son Antem, I'm glad to hear that despite the loss of the hotel's Marriott affiliation, things have worked out for owners there.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
According to http://www.hosteltur.com/114190_globalia-se-queda-gestion-hotel-son-antem.html the hotel will soon operate under the Be Live brand.
I had never heard of Be Live, but they're owned by Globalia, who also own Air Europa, and are headquartered in... Llucmajor! Seems proximity is a key consideration for the hotel owners... :ponder:
Sadly this looks like another step down from Marriott and Iberostar.
I have stayed at the hotel when it was a Marriott, and while I don't own at Son Antem, I'm glad to hear that despite the loss of the hotel's Marriott affiliation, things have worked out for owners there.
Very well spotted, thank you.

For all of us non fluent Spanish speakers, a rough and ready google translate comes up with

Globalia has confirmed HOSTELTUR tourism news has reached an agreement with the hotel property Son Antem to start operating it for the start of next season scheduled for the months of March-April , after announcing last Friday Iberostar Hotels & Resorts leaving its management, in agreement with their owners .
Globalia and will manage under its brand Be Live Hotels the 5-star property with 143 double rooms and eight suites , refurbished in 2012. Located in Llucmajor , surrounded by two golf courses with 18 holes , a swimming pool with swim-up bar inside, spa with sauna and hot tubs , gym, hairdresser and beauty salon , and sports facilities . Its offer is completed by two restaurants , lobby bar and 500 square meters dedicated to the MICE segment in nine meeting rooms

JonP

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I recall, when Marriott lost the management contract it was reported in the Mallorcan press the owners of Air Europa were personnel friends of the hotel owner. Whilst Iberostar were also mentioned it was suggested AE would be appointed first time around.

The nature of the hotel obviously didn't fit in with Iberostars existing portfolio and many questioned whether they would be successful. I hope Marriott can work closely with the new operators as that certainly didn't appear to be the case with Iberostar.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I recall, when Marriott lost the management contract it was reported in the Mallorcan press the owners of Air Europa were personnel friends of the hotel owner. Whilst Iberostar were also mentioned it was suggested AE would be appointed first time around.

The nature of the hotel obviously didn't fit in with Iberostars existing portfolio and many questioned whether they would be successful. I hope Marriott can work closely with the new operators as that certainly didn't appear to be the case with Iberostar.

Take a look at the BeLive hotels WEB site - not an inspiring view to be honest. I would say IBEROSTAR was a better fit. I personnally think that the property owners have now totally lost the plot and Iberostar realised that and decided to get out before the ship sank. This hotel is sinking and as it goes down futher, more MVCI owners and guests will do what I have now done - ignore totally the existence of the hotel. In 2016 I have two visits to Son Antem booked for a total of 33 nights. I do not expect to set foot in the hotel on a single occasion during those two visits.

So more lost revenue from me.

Nor do I expect to spend any significant time at La Finca - their prices are now way out of line with the outside competition and so my stays will now involve more self catering and trips out to local restaurants that offer good food and sensible prices.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the hotel continues with low occupancy what effect will it have on the golf course. I understand the course is owned by MVC but is it open to the public? How much does the course rely on hotel guest patronage?

I was there in Oct last year, it is a great course.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nor do I expect to spend any significant time at La Finca - their prices are now way out of line with the outside competition and so my stays will now involve more self catering and trips out to local restaurants that offer good food and sensible prices.

We ate once at La Finca when we were there in October, never again. The quality of the food was not commensurate with the price they charged and wasn't particularly good. Had a meal at Son Julia nearby which was superb.

I made the mistake of eating in La Terressa once, out of convenience really because we were at the pool and it too was a rip off.

Still, with the excellent offerings at Lidl in Palma, particularly their shellfish, I'm quite happy to cook in the villa.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We ate once at La Finca when we were there in October, never again. The quality of the food was not commensurate with the price they charged and wasn't particularly good. Had a meal at Son Julia nearby which was superb.

I made the mistake of eating in La Terressa once, out of convenience really because we were at the pool and it too was a rip off.

Still, with the excellent offerings at Lidl in Palma, particularly their shellfish, I'm quite happy to cook in the villa.
I agree with all the comments about La Finca.
It is a real shame, as it could be a great option for MVC owners and guests, without need for car or taxi.
The restaurant owners are really missing a trick with this.
I was interested in whether your "mistake of eating in La Terrassa" was a very recent one?
We ate there twice last summer and found it a big improvement following the refurb from Vista Verde along with change of management and menus.

pafort

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MR Platinum Lifetime
Owner SELECT
Marbella Beach resort (1 Bed GOLD),
Village Île de France (3 Beds lock off GOLD)
Marriott vs Iberostar

I was at Son Antem last week. I have a reservation for another week of January.
The balance of my last visit was, on the whole, discreet.
While I stayed in a villa just reformed, the other I noticed the deterioration in the management of SPA and pool.
Customers Iberostar have, in fact, taken possession of the indoor pool, which is no longer a quiet place, but a place in the same way a Chinese beach. More than a Marriott resort seemed to be in a summer camp.
I complained a lot with the Marriott staff, who did not know what to say.
The biggest surprise was to verify the timetable change of swimming for children: they can now stay until 21:00, and until last year, the maximum time was set at 18:00.
Unfortunately, the different level of Marriott customers, and the mass dell'Iberostar, disturbed me excessively. I also noticed that the water temperature was a few degrees lower, which made none too pleasant swim outside.
I hope that in January (first week) Iberostar remains closed!
Paolo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was interested in whether your "mistake of eating in La Terrassa" was a very recent one?
We ate there twice last summer and found it a big improvement following the refurb from Vista Verde along with change of management and menus.

We were there during October half term and had lunch there on one of the days. There was nothing wrong with the food but rather the price charged for it and the quantity. They also sell a very nice dark German beer but at 6 euros a glass you won't be drinking too much.

GreenTea.....Yes, we were impressed with Son Julia. Because we were there in October the restaurant reduced the menu to two starters, two mains and one desert to reflect the fact that it was the quiet season. This should mean that the kitchen can focus on the dishes they serve and they were excellent, far better than La Finca and for a similar price. The place was very quiet though and there were only two other couples there which was a shame as La Finca was packed the previous night.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there during October half term and had lunch there on one of the days. There was nothing wrong with the food but rather the price charged for it and the quantity. They also sell a very nice dark German beer but at 6 euros a glass you won't be drinking too much.

GreenTea.....Yes, we were impressed with Son Julia. Because we were there in October the restaurant reduced the menu to two starters, two mains and one desert to reflect the fact that it was the quiet season. This should mean that the kitchen can focus on the dishes they serve and they were excellent, far better than La Finca and for a similar price. The place was very quiet though and there were only two other couples there which was a shame as La Finca was packed the previous night.
Well I guess it could have been worse, at least the £ is around €1.40 now v near parity a few years ago.
We stayed on for a few nights this year at Le Petit Bennoc, having eaten there the previous year and found that to be another good local option for dinner (and accommodation).

Last edited:

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Iberostar signs taken down today

I am at Son Antem this week.

Until Tuesday there were some guests in the Iberostar, yesterday some work was done and tonight all signs of Iberostar dissapeared. There is just a cheap sign "Closed" at the door of the Hotel main entrance.

Service at all Marriott facilities has been great!

JonP

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who use the resort hotel to extend there stay at Club Son Antem you may be please to know Be Live are now taking reservations.

pafort

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MR Platinum Lifetime
Owner SELECT
If the hotel continues with low occupancy what effect will it have on the golf course. I understand the course is owned by MVC but is it open to the public? How much does the course rely on hotel guest patronage?

I was there in Oct last year, it is a great course.

I do not know where he got information that the hotel is empty. I in December and January I could not even get in the pool. The hotel was packed, and this summer has filled the rooms of English drunk because of overbooking that Iberostar has made on the structures dell'Arenal.

pafort

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MR Platinum Lifetime
Owner SELECT

I always eat at the Finca, they have increased the price of lunch menus of 3 Euros: you have a starter, a main dish, the sweet coffee and a glass of wine for € 14.90.
Tell me where you eat for less, thank you

Paolo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I always eat at the Finca, they have increased the price of lunch menus of 3 Euros: you have a starter, a main dish, the sweet coffee and a glass of wine for € 14.90.
Tell me where you eat for less, thank you

Paolo

Well, if you think a handful of scrawny lamb chops with barely any meat and a pile of greasy chips for €24 is a good price then you can fill your boots. Evidently it's possible to eat for less. There are plenty of bistro's and restuarants in Llucmajor where you can have a set lunch for the same price or less.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree we have been very disappointed with both the quality and price of food at La Finca in the evenings in recent years especially in 2015. I cannot say anything about the lunch time food as we do not eat out at lunch time unless we are away from the resort on an outing. The lamb at Sa Farinara near the airport is infinitely better and cheaper.

Will Be Live be any improvement on Iberostar - I think not but live in hope. As for occupancy, in June and July 2015 the occupancy at the hotel was very poor if judged by numbers around the hotel pool.