• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sometimes it's better to buy from the brand [says Timeshare Salesman]

maxpot46

Reaction score
Rather than purchase from directly from a major brand, a buyer can choose to purchase from a reseller. However, this may not be advisable, from a financial and usage perspective. You can certainly find an average or worse timeshare for much less on the resale market. But for the very best programs, one may be better off purchasing directly from the brand.

Firstly, there is some risk involved with purchasing resale, and to avoid this many choose a licensed real estate broker. These brokers charge considerable fees, however, and can be pretty scammy themselves (just try to sit through a phone call with a rep from, say, SellMyTimeshareNow, and you'll be getting the hard, emotional sell). In any case, major brands typically will invoke a Right of First Refusal on resales that prevent a buyer from acquiring them at overly discounted prices, say (as an estimate) 50% of the current market value. Add on the upward price increases caused by competition amongst resale shoppers, broker’s fees, and closing costs on the real estate transfer, and the new owner could end up paying up to 75% of the price offered by the brand itself.

Then we must account for the fact that the brand will offer first day incentives that will not be received when purchasing from a reseller. If the buyer is a savvy enough negotiator to gain a first day incentive greater than, say, 25-30% of the deed price, then he is coming out ahead vs. a resale purchase, from a financial perspective.

Finally, it’s not uncommon for major brands to restrict resale owners from the full benefits of their programs, reducing their value from both a usage and financial perspective.

When all these factors are accounted for, it may make sense to avoid the additional risk and work of purchasing from a reseller. It may not, particularly if the buyer is satisfied with a lower quality timeshare, so the resale market shouldn’t be ruled out entirely. As always, a shopper should do his due diligence.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest flaw in your assessment is that if you cannot transfer all of those retail buy perks it makes your timeshare worthless on the resale market. While there certainly can be a valid reason for buying from the developer I would avoid any purchase that value can not be transferred when I want to move on.

maxpot46

Reaction score
The biggest flaw in your assessment is that if you cannot transfer all of those retail buy perks it makes your timeshare worthless on the resale market. While there certainly can be a valid reason for buying from the developer I would avoid any purchase that value can not be transferred when I want to move on.

That's precisely why major brands do this, and why it's not always a good idea to buy resale.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Rather than purchase from directly from a major brand, a buyer can choose to purchase from a reseller. However, this may not be advisable, from a financial and usage perspective. You can certainly find an average or worse timeshare for much less on the resale market. But for the very best programs, one may be better off purchasing directly from the brand.

Firstly, there is some risk involved with purchasing resale, and to avoid this many choose a licensed real estate broker. These brokers charge considerable fees, however, and can be pretty scammy themselves (just try to sit through a phone call with a rep from, say, SellMyTimeshareNow, and you'll be getting the hard, emotional sell). In any case, major brands typically will invoke a Right of First Refusal on resales that prevent a buyer from acquiring them at overly discounted prices, say (as an estimate) 50% of the current market value. Add on the upward price increases caused by competition amongst resale shoppers, broker’s fees, and closing costs on the real estate transfer, and the new owner could end up paying up to 75% of the price offered by the brand itself.

Then we must account for the fact that the brand will offer first day incentives that will not be received when purchasing from a reseller. If the buyer is a savvy enough negotiator to gain a first day incentive greater than, say, 25-30% of the deed price, then he is coming out ahead vs. a resale purchase, from a financial perspective.

Finally, it’s not uncommon for major brands to restrict resale owners from the full benefits of their programs, reducing their value from both a usage and financial perspective.

When all these factors are accounted for, it may make sense to avoid the additional risk and work of purchasing from a reseller. It may not, particularly if the buyer is satisfied with a lower quality timeshare, so the resale market shouldn’t be ruled out entirely. As always, a shopper should do his due diligence.

My first thought after reading your post is that you may work in the industry and are trying to promote buying from the developer. You are a guest on TUG and these are your first posts, so I and others will be suspicious of your motives.

We have bought direct and resale and in almost all cases would recommend that a prospective buyer do a lot of research and buy a quality resort in a quality system. We have done that for far less than your example of 50% of the current rate and are very happy with our choices. There may be some good reasons for someone to buy direct, but I would guess that is a minority.

Best regards.

Mike

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Oh my God ... scammy re-sellers might only save you 50% of developer prices. Better pony up the extra 50% to the low pressure, no hard sell developer if you know whats good for you.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i would encourage you to disclose if you indeed work in the industry.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We tell all of our friends that if they are thinking of acquiring timeshare, in 99% of the cases they should look at buying resale, especially for their first acquisition. Having said that, we have resold everyone of our resale purchases and we are now only holding our developer purchased ones, with our most recent acquisition in 2017. There are very few, i.e. 1%, cases where buying from the developer(s) makes sense.

Last edited:

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In some cases, it's great to buy resale, and then buy something direct from the developer to bring your resale purchase into the developer official programs. Marriott, Vistana, and Diamond all do this. You would need to do research in each separate section about how to do this, and when it makes sense. For me, it worked for both Vistana and Diamond. One should never buy direct from the developer without first doing A LOT of research. But some developer purchases can make ownership even better...

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The way i see it, the value of a timeshare contract is :

home resort usage value +
internal exchange value +
external exchanges +
rental value +
other minor perks.

Even when the internal exchange capability does not transmit to the resale owner it does not make sense in most cases to pay tens of thousands of dollars for this feature when you still have the all the other features for a fraction (or zero) of the developer price.

Of course there are systems where the internal exchange does transmit to the resale owner (HGVC, DVC, Whyndham etc) so in those cases buying retail makes even less sense.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The OP sells timeshares, so consider the source...

maxpot46

Reaction score
Yes, I work in the industry. Dismissing my arguments only because of this would be an ad hominem fallacy, however. An argument stands or falls on its merits, and I am simply making an argument for consideration. If I state any incorrect facts, or make any incorrect inferences, these should be easily challenged by evidence or logic.

Doesn't the value of first day incentives, typically in the form of bonus points or weeks, have financial value that offsets if not eliminates the savings by purchasing on the resale market? And am I not correct that many major brands don't offer the same logistical usage to indirect buyers?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Doesn't the value of first day incentives, typically in the form of bonus points or weeks, have financial value that offsets if not eliminates the savings by purchasing on the resale market?
Almost never.

maxpot46 - You aren't talking to rookies here...

maxpot46

Reaction score
I don't get it... why wouldn't free accommodations have value?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I work in the industry. Dismissing my arguments only because of this would be an ad hominem fallacy, however. An argument stands or falls on its merits, and I am simply making an argument for consideration. If I state any incorrect facts, or make any incorrect inferences, these should be easily challenged by evidence or logic.

Doesn't the value of first day incentives, typically in the form of bonus points or weeks, have financial value that offsets if not eliminates the savings by purchasing on the resale market? And am I not correct that many major brands don't offer the same logistical usage to indirect buyers?
Every time I estimated the value of the bonus points, it was 2-3 grands maximum (and i am being very generous here). When you subtract that from the developer purchase price, you are still left with a huge difference in cost between retail vs resale

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my opinion it is not that the bonus points do not have any value at all, it is that their value is not high enough to justify the purchase.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was stammered to read this post. Someone comes on a Users group to espouse the benefits of buying retail. If anyone has read any timeshare financials, they will know that 1/2, or 50% of developers' "cost of goods sold" is tied up in advertising, overhead, promotions, gifting, and commissions. Since the developers don't buy back timeshares from unsatisfied customers, there is an artificially low market. Savvy consumers can take advantage of this market. That is what resale is all about. Buy back your developer sales from dissatisfied customers, instead of strapping them to lifetime commitments, and you will solve many problems, including all the posts on the complaint sites.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Subtract max....
Add .........

Although there was one absolute truism in the OP:
....As always, a shopper should do his due diligence....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't get it... why wouldn't free accommodations have value?
Free accommodations are awesome - especially free timeshares on the resale market. My last 3 free timeshares were ocean front 2 bdms. in Hawaii.

maxpot46

Reaction score
Let's conservatively assume you're given 3 weeks of free vacations on a 1-week purchase, for which the average deed price in 2017 was around $22k. Assuming a value of $250/night after taxes, that would be worth $5,250, which is 24% of the purchase price. A savvy negotiator could acquire 5+ weeks as a bonus, which would have a value of $8,750, which is 40% of the purchase price. This could potentially exceed the savings by purchasing resale, correct?

Additionally, we have to reduce the value of a resale if it comes with reduced logistical usage, correct?

maxpot46

Reaction score
Free accommodations are awesome - especially free timeshares on the resale market. My last 3 free timeshares were ocean front 2 bdms. in Hawaii.

What if you want a timeshare in a specific, premium location, e.g. New York City?

I am not arguing that all resales are inferior to all direct sales. I'm saying that it SOMETIMES makes sense to purchase direct.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seriously? You are going to practice your sale pitch here? :wave:

maxpot46

Reaction score
I'm not pitching, I'm making an argument.

I see you have very negative opinions of people in the industry, but I'm just trying to have a civil dialogue here.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
maxpot46 - We have all heard the sales pitch - don't bother. I'm out.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'm not pitching, I'm making an argument.

I see you have very negative opinions of people in the industry, but I'm just trying to have a civil dialogue here.

It seems clear you do not realize the position you are supporting here - your OP makes the case for a buyer to perform due diligence - to become educated about what they are purchasing. You want the buyer to appreciate the top level purchase but as part of the buyers efforts toward understanding what constitutes a top level quality purchase, that same buyer is going to discover how over inflated TS prices are.

Increased buyer education is not going to lead to the outcome you desire.

maxpot46

Reaction score
Is there something wrong with my math when I make the assertion that the value of bonus points can overwhelm the savings of purchasing resale (which might suffer logistical penalties), particularly if looking for a specific property?