• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Something more for mysophobes to worry about

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to get totally disgusted, take apart the little folding straw top lid thing on your sippy travel cup. There are things growing in there you don't even want to think about. And unlike a rubber ducky, which is nasty on the inside but basically harmless, this folding straw thing is inserted into your mouth on a regular basis. Yuck!

Dave
All the little pieces need to be taken apart every time you wash them (they make little tiny wire brushes for straws). If they are really difficult to take apart (and some are more time consuming than others, I get rid of them quickly) or I only use the more complicated ones for water & dismantle every other day or so to sanitize (water is the only liquid my toddlers are allowed to carry around or have in the car). Juice and milk are served seated (so the cups aren't required to be as lock tight against spills and aren't as complicated for cleaning). There are many baby bottles with little parts too (Dr Browns, etc) Thats why they come with those little wire brushes for cleaning. (lots of grandkids & our last 15 month old foster baby just left 6 weeks ago....I keep in practice, LOL)

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Now think of your CPAP

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
All the little pieces need to be taken apart every time you wash them (they make little tiny wire brushes for straws). If they are really difficult to take apart (and some are more time consuming than others, I get rid of them quickly) or I only use the more complicated ones for water & dismantle every other day or so to sanitize (water is the only liquid my toddlers are allowed to carry around or have in the car). Juice and milk are served seated (so the cups aren't required to be as lock tight against spills and aren't as complicated for cleaning). There are many baby bottles with little parts too (Dr Browns, etc) Thats why they come with those little wire brushes for cleaning. (lots of grandkids & our last 15 month old foster baby just left 6 weeks ago....I keep in practice, LOL)

I know about those little straw cleaners, but they aren't really designed for cleaning the tumblers I'm talking about. I had two types: One was a travel coffee tumbler with a rotating lid. There was a lever to rotate the top to open a drinking hole. The top didn't come apart, until I dropped it one day, and the piece with the lever fell off. What was growing between it and the rest of the lid it was attached to was the stuff of nightmares.

The other travel tumbler had a domed lid with a square-shaped folding drinking spout an inch or so long. It was hinged onto the lid, so it folded flat when not in use. Same story about that one - it wasn't supposed to come apart (as far as I knew), until it fell into pieces in the kitchen sink one day. The gunk that was growing inside it was just plain nasty. I don't use tumblers with lids like those anymore.

Dave

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
20210119_151540.jpg
I know about those little straw cleaners, but they aren't really designed for cleaning the tumblers I'm talking about. I had two types: One was a travel coffee tumbler with a rotating lid. There was a lever to rotate the top to open a drinking hole. The top didn't come apart, until I dropped it one day, and the piece with the lever fell off. What was growing between it and the rest of the lid it was attached to was the stuff of nightmares.

The other travel tumbler had a domed lid with a square-shaped folding drinking spout an inch or so long. It was hinged onto the lid, so it folded flat when not in use. Same story about that one - it wasn't supposed to come apart (as far as I knew), until it fell into pieces in the kitchen sink one day. The gunk that was growing inside it was just plain nasty. I don't use tumblers with lids like those anymore.

Dave
You confirmed my suspicions! I only have travel cups with one piece lids. They look kind of like Starbucks cups. Funny thing is that I originally bought them so that I could drink wine by the pools when we went to a timeshare where you weren't supposed to have your own booze. I used them on that trip only but it turns out that they are perfect for coffee.