• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Someone just hacked into my Apple Account

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently received a message from Apple that someone had accessed my Apple account from an iBook Air, and another message that someone logged in using an iBook Pro. Neither of these logins was done by me; I don't own either device.

Luckily, there was little of vale in my Apple account. But, I'm worried about how someone got access to my password. And, when I logged into AppleId to change my password, I had to answer two security questions to gain access. So, maybe whomever gained access to my account had to know my security questions, too.

As far as I can tell, nothing was changed in my account. I changed the password and added two-factor identification. The two iBooks were both shown as registered to my account, so I removed them.

Any idea how the hackers gained access? Is there anything else I need to do?

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
I recently received a message from Apple that someone had accessed my Apple account from an iBook Air, and another message that someone logged in using an iBook Pro. Neither of these logins was done by me; I don't own either device.

Luckily, there was little of vale in my Apple account. But, I'm worried about how someone got access to my password. And, when I logged into AppleId to change my password, I had to answer two security questions to gain access. So, maybe whomever gained access to my account had to know my security questions, too.

As far as I can tell, nothing was changed in my account. I changed the password and added two-factor identification. The two iBooks were both shown as registered to my account, so I removed them.

Be careful.

Some of these warnings are usually spoof emails.
Please do not click on any links if you received an email with the warnings.
To check always go directly to the website for Apple and check out your account.

Make sure the password is something strong. 2FA is a good protection.

Many websites [retailers, banks, Marriott, Vistana] were hacked over the last few years and private data [including passwords, passport-info] stolen. Most of this is sold on the Dark-Web.
The easiest way hackers get access to other accounts is to try out these passwords on your other accounts.
The safe thing to do is not use the same password for different accounts..

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I typed in the name of the actual AppleID site. Afterwards, I clicked on the link in emailed notification. It also took me to the real Apple site. So, this was not a phishing email -- I wish it were!

Thank you for your advice, Microze!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
A few months ago, I got an alert from my bank that someone had tried to use the "forgot password" function for my account. They simply suggested I call them. When I called, they suggested that I go to a branch to change my ID to something more complex -- which we did. No alerts since.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Who was the email from? The actual email address, not the name that shows up in the from field.

I also don't even know what an iBook and an iBook Pro are. Apple makes a MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. Is that what it was referring to?

If you have ever used the same username as your Apple ID for another username on another website, it is possible that other account was compromised and they were out looking for other sites where you used the same login ID and password to see where they could get access. This happened to me a while back. Used the same userID and password for a Yahoo Mail account and a MyPoints account. Yahoo has been hacked more times than one can count. They used that email and password to access the MyPoints account and clean it out of accumulated points by converting them to Amazon gift certificates.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, I'll get a message like that, but the person was not successful in getting into my account. The message is just letting me know that someone in Europe or wherever attempted to log into my account. They always want me to change the password and I always do. However, my passwords are all different and extremely complex. I don't think someone will be able to guess my passwords.

A couple websites that I regularly buy stuff from for our business have had notices that we needed to change our passwords because someone collected all the log in information for the customer accounts. We had a couple really funny "blackmail" emails from the hackers with all kinds of threats. They basically had our email address and the password that we used for the hacked website and tried to convince us that they had all of our information but they didn't even know our names. The level of ignorance in the emails was astounding, but I guess maybe somewhere, someone falls for it and sends them the bitcoins that they are demanding.

Reactions: RX8

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Who was the email from? The actual email address, not the name that shows up in the from field.

I also don't even know what an iBook and an iBook Pro are. Apple makes a MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. Is that what it was referring to?

If you have ever used the same username as your Apple ID for another username on another website, it is possible that other account was compromised and they were out looking for other sites where you used the same login ID and password to see where they could get access. This happened to me a while back. Used the same userID and password for a Yahoo Mail account and a MyPoints account. Yahoo has been hacked more times than one can count. They used that email and password to access the MyPoints account and clean it out of accumulated points by converting them to Amazon gift certificates.
There is no such thing as an iBook device. Apple iBooks is an app that allows you to download and read books on your iPad or iPhone similar to Amazons Kindle.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently received notice that someone attempted to charge my PayPal account. I did not click on the link but went to PayPal on another device and did not see any attempt. I sent them the email to see if it was a spoof. Now they have put a hold on my account. They say there was no attempt but I have to prove my identity. I keep trying but it it won't go through, I am using two factor authentication. when I try to change my password it says it doesn’t recognize me. This has been going on awhile, and it looks like my account will be closed.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

As others have noted, these are not real apple products, so the email is likely fake. You may think you went to the "real" site but may not have. What happened when you clicked onto the link? Did you log in?

Change your password AGAIN. Forward the email to reportphishing@apple.com and ask if it is real.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I typed in the name of the actual AppleID site. Afterwards, I clicked on the link in emailed notification. It also took me to the real Apple site. So, this was not a phishing email -- I wish it were!

Thank you for your advice, Microze!

Agree with others that it sounds like a scam. Did you hover the mouse cursor over the sender’s name? While it may say it is Apple the underlying email address may be something completely different. Also, check the actual web address of the link as scammers are very good at creating fake pages that look like the real thing. While the fake address will look correct at first glance you may find it is slightly different (like instead of Apple.com it is Apple1.com).

Reactions: jme

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get the same stuff for my Amazon account all the time. It is a phishing email.

Reactions: jme

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
We had a couple really funny "blackmail" emails from the hackers with all kinds of threats. They basically had our email address and the password that we used for the hacked website and tried to convince us that they had all of our information but they didn't even know our names. The level of ignorance in the emails was astounding, but I guess maybe somewhere, someone falls for it and sends them the bitcoins that they are demanding.
My favorites have been the ones that say they've taken over my computer and are demanding bitcoin ransom so they won't trash the whole thing. They say they've taken over my camera (which I don't have) and can see what I'm doing when I go to explicit web sites (which I don't go to). Nice try, guys!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
My favorites have been the ones that say they've taken over my computer and are demanding bitcoin ransom so they won't trash the whole thing. They say they've taken over my camera (which I don't have) and can see what I'm doing when I go to explicit web sites (which I don't go to). Nice try, guys!
But what about us those that go to those sites?!! :ponder::eek:

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, maybe whomever gained access to my account had to know my security questions, too.
Do you ever take those seemingly innocuous surveys on Facebook? That's one way to get answers to security questions. First pet, first job, first love, first school, high school mascot....etc.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
My apologies -I misremembered the name of the devices. I just checked and they were a "MacBook Air 13" and "MacBook Pro 13".

I wish this were a phishing email, but I don't think so. The link was "https://appleid.apple.com" and that's what my browser showed when I hovered over the link. At any rate I did not click on the link. Instead, I typed in www.apple.com (or maybe I used www.icloud.com, I forget). I know enough not to click through a link in an email if there's any chance it's a phishing email. However, I will send the emails to reportphishing@apple.com and ask about it.

When I logged into my Apple account, I found that the two unknown devices ("MacBook Air 13" and "MacBook Pro 13") were now registered to my account. So, it looks like the hackers actually did gain access to my Apple account.

A year or two ago, eBay had a breach, and this particular email and password were stolen. I thought I had changed all my passwords since then, but it seems I overlooked my Apple account. I don't think I've answered any Facebook quizzes that asked my security questions, but I suppose it's possible I did so back when Facebook was new.

Other than changing my password and setting up two-factor authentication, do you think there is anything I need to do?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
A year or two ago, eBay had a breach, and this particular email and password were stolen. I thought I had changed all my passwords since then, but it seems I overlooked my Apple account. I don't think I've answered any Facebook quizzes that asked my security questions, but I suppose it's possible I did so back when Facebook was new.

Other than changing my password and setting up two-factor authentication, do you think there is anything I need to do?
I think turning on two-factor authentication should protect your Apple account. The only other thing you should do is stop using the same email/password combos with different sites. As you have unfortunately found out, when you use the same email/password combos on multiple sites, if one is hacked, all of the others become vulnerable.

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
A different password issue:
This morning, I tried to do a one-step update for Quicken. It didn't work, For some reason, the password vault had all my old passwords. I updated them, and then I noticed the file I was working with... It was 2017.

I opened 2017 late last night and forgot to close it. I was trying to update 2017 accounts... It would'a made a mess.
Thank the Gods the passwords didn't work.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My apologies -I misremembered the name of the devices. I just checked and they were a "MacBook Air 13" and "MacBook Pro 13".

I wish this were a phishing email, but I don't think so. The link was "https://appleid.apple.com" and that's what my browser showed when I hovered over the link. At any rate I did not click on the link. Instead, I typed in www.apple.com (or maybe I used www.icloud.com, I forget). I know enough not to click through a link in an email if there's any chance it's a phishing email. However, I will send the emails to reportphishing@apple.com and ask about it.

When I logged into my Apple account, I found that the two unknown devices ("MacBook Air 13" and "MacBook Pro 13") were now registered to my account. So, it looks like the hackers actually did gain access to my Apple account.

Verify your purchase history, since if they have access to your account they may have bought something. Change your password, add two factor, etc. and, of course, remove those two computers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husbands step brother thinks the alt right is too liberal. He keeps sending me emails with links and no words, advocating his positions.. I will not open them, years ago I did and my email account was compromised almost immediately. I have told him to stop sending them, and he sends me emails shouting that I need to know these things and warn my circle of acquaintances. Finally his emails have started going in the spam folder, I just checked spam folder and two emails are there, blatantly racist and political

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm generally careful about reusing email/password combos, but this was an old account, from when my security was lower. I just hadn't thought about this account.

As for my payment history, I don't have a form of payment in my Apple account. So, no purchases.

Thanks everyone, for your help!