• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Some good news/bad news about my Honolulu AirBNB reservation

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband was to attend a (now canceled) Rotary International convention in Honolulu June 6-10. I booked a week before the convention at Ko Olina from May 30 to June 6. I had purchased EPlus for this exchange, and have already traded it once for a much less desirable week in Oregon in February.

I booked an Airbnb in Honolulu for the convention with a cancellation refund policy of cancelling only after the first 48 hours after booking. I put half down, $500.00. That was last September. I have been dragging my feet about canceling this as I was reluctant to loose the $500.00 deposit, even though I was pretty sure it was inevitable.

Now AirBNB has issued a statement that in a nutshell says that if you booked before March 14, with a check in date between March 14 and June 15 you can qualify for refund or credit regardless of the hosts refund policy. The clincher between getting a credit and getting a refund is that you need to provide:

• Screenshot of official government site explaining restrictions that prevent travel from your location or to your destination
  • Effective dates of the restriction must overlap with your reservation by at least one day
  • Excludes travel advisories
I can find documentation for 14 day quarantine after arriving through May 31, and also documentation that a short term rental that is not a hotel is not a legal self quarantine accommodation. So it looks like my dates are 6 days too late to qualify for a cash refund. I am happy that I will not completely loose my investment and get AirBNB credit instead but as I have a lot of timeshare units to use, would much prefer the cash.
Has anyone seen any additional documentation that might help in this situation?

Below is the message on the AirBNB site, and below that, the government documentation I have found through May 31.

Reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences made on or before March 14, 2020, with a check-in date between March 14, 2020 and June 15, 2020, are covered by the (refund) policy and may be canceled before check-in. Guests who cancel will have a variety of cancellation and refund options, and hosts can cancel without charge or impact to their Superhost status. Airbnb will either refund, or issue travel credit that includes, all service
fees for covered cancellations. In order to cancel under the policy, you will be required to attest to the facts of and/or provide supporting documentation for your extenuating circumstance.

If you qualify for an extenuating circumstances exception to your host’s cancellation policy you can apply for a full cash refund by submitting official documentation for review.

May 5, 2020

STATEWIDE ORDER BY GOVERNOR DAVID IGE: YOU MUST SELF-QUARANTINE FOR 14 DAYS IF YOU ARRIVED IN HAWAII AFTER MARCH 26, 2020
Mandatory 14-Day Quarantine For All Passengers Arriving Through May 31

Short-term rentals (lodgings that provide guest accommodations for less than 30 days, other than hotels and motels), are not essential businesses for the purposes of the stay at home order. As such, short-term rentals may not operate during the term of order (as may be extended), and they are not legally recognized places for visitors to lodge or self-quarantine. “Hotel” and “motel” are each defined as a building or group of buildings containing lodging and/or dwelling units offering transient accommodations, and a lobby, clerk's desk or counter with 24 hour clerk service, and facilities for registration and keeping of records relating to the hotel or motel guests.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Maybe I'm reading something wrong, but it looks like to me that the check in date for the AirBnB is within the dates allowed. You said you booked it for the convention, which was June 6-10. AirBnD says the check in date needs to be between March 14 and June 15. What am I missing?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Based on the Governor's latest Phase I plan, they will likely extend the quarantine rules into June. In the meantime you could try using this.

"Under that plan, tourism isn’t expected to be given the OK to reopen for months."

Governor announces Phase 1 reopening

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading something wrong, but it looks like to me that the check in date for the AirBnB is within the dates allowed. You said you booked it for the convention, which was June 6-10. AirBnD says the check in date needs to be between March 14 and June 15. What am I missing?
Agree. I was also confused by dates.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is the key part. While the policy covers the OPs travel dates, they don't meet this qualification; Effective dates of the restriction must overlap with your reservation by at least one day

If the restrictions on travel to Hawaii were 100% lifted on May 31st, the OP could travel and wouldn't qualify for the refund.