• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Solmar Suites

timfierro

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking to go to Solmar for the first week of August; however this timeshare ownership is available for a week later. On the surface, it looks like a deal, but am weary of a low cost transaction.

Ebay auction has it for Winning Bid + $840 in fees due to close it. Current bid is $299. "IF" it went for $299, the total upfront cash is "$1139.00". Renting a room for that week would be about the same ($150 X 7 Nights = $1050).

So of course my thought is that I could buy this timeshare and I would be able to use it each year for only the maintenance fee.

I don't know if this auction will close higher than the $299 being asked, but wondered to myself if I should go ahead and bid on it based solely on the usage of that week I was going anyway. I can't find any reason not too but have never even looked at a timeshare before to worry about any 'gotchas' that might be involved.

At break even for me anyway, it is probably not a bad deal; but if the price does go up during the auction process, then it will probably be higher than I would want to go. Owning a timeshare? We are not sure, but we might want to look at it after we have been there once. I am only now researching options just in case I do see something worthy of my attention.

I guess I would like to know is there any cautions to watch for when buying a timeshare for the first time on ebay?

Tim

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
We own at Solmar it is a nice resort. We bought from the deveoper several years ago and have returned to there many times. The developer has kept the maintainance fees fairly reasonable compared to some of the other resorts. Solmar is quiet mostly and is more traditionally Mexico rather than a real fancy resort type place. It does have 3 swimming pools 2 with swim up bars. You can see more on www.solmar.com. August is hot and is hurricane season in cabo. But one thing we have found out with Solmar is we can trade back in at other times of the year easily. We must get a preferential treatment from RCI. We have a Early October week and have gone there even during Spring Break.
I would check out the feedback on the seller. There are several that sell weeks on ebay all the time that I would imagine would be fine.

timfierro

Reaction score
I decided to put a bid on it. If I get it, then it means I will own a timeshare in a location I was possibly looking at anyway, and was going to stay there anyway this August; just instead of the week I wanted, it is a bit later.

You never know, for the cost, it seems fair.

Tim