• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Social distancing and shelter in place - working or not?

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you really want to wear a tin foil hat..........Maybe this is China and the United States working together to trash the Global Economy so they can jointly take over the world when Europe, Russia, etc. bite the dust. It's going to be inevitable that we move to a Global government system due to stuff like this, natural disasters, aliens, etc. I hope we do something globally to figure out how to manage this stuff consistently next time, and there will be a next time.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
1tsntt.jpg

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Most military bases are in rural areas. Or at least used to be. ...

Let me start with this part first because that will be an important consideration to this discussion. What is urban and what is rural?

I was thinking about that point as I was recalling the various bases I have visited over the years. A quick trip down memory lane recalled the following:
Camp Perry
Fort Jackson, Eustis, Benning, Campbell, Chaffee
NAS: Millington (Memphis), Pensacola
Cape May
...and there may be others but that list should be enough for now.

I would consider all of these to be urban areas. I do agree with your point that when established, these areas may have been rural (or at least more rural) in nature and as the years have gone by, the growth in and around each of these areas has moved the area along the continuum FROM rural TOWARD urban.
We could disagree about where a specific installation may fall in that continuum (and how much it may have moved) but I think we would both agree there has been movement FROM rural TOWARD urban when considering the list above.

Considering we are no longer establishing new military bases, the transference of an area from more rural toward more urban is now limited to existing bases. This suggests to me the continued urbanization around existing military bases will continue to benefit those areas and leave behind more rural areas.
To be clear, I am NOT suggesting the military should build bases simply for the economic effect, but the latent (*) presence of the government (in this case, military bases) has and continues to benefit those areas in close proximity to existing military bases (which I hold to be urban areas). Another way of looking at this would be that rural areas now have one less way to grow (a very significant and powerful means by which to grow via the federal government).

* - just for the sake of full disclosure, I am referring to latent as defined by Robert Merton (Theory of Manifest Function).

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
True but that has never stopped the government from doing so before. Look at our hairball of a tax code.

We simply don’t have time for that. The money needs to go out NOW or the doors will be permanently closing for a lot of small businesses.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The authors of the Constitution also lived more that 150 years before the germ theory of disease. They may have been wise, but we can't give the credit for understanding things they didn't know. It's similar to warfare. They lived in a time where warfare involved one country marshaling an army and advancing on another county, with declarations of war, capturing the other countries capitol, etc.. They did not envision a situation in which, for example, a terrorist group not affiliated with any organized government, mounts a concerted attack on the United States. What does a declaration of war mean in that circumstance? Whatever it might mean, it's not within the parameters of the Constitution.

The founding fathers were smart enough, though, to recognize that evolving conditions might require changes to the Constitution. So they created a process for amending the Constitution. Hence my suggestion that perhaps we should consider amending the Constitution to reflect what is known now that wasn't known in the late 17th century.

Last month I saw a performance of “What the Constitution Means to Me”. It was wonderful, examining the role of the Constitution in the perspective of an individual as well as society, and when it may become necessary to amend it (they quote founding fathers and their desire that the Constitution be rewritten every 25 years, etc). I suspect you would enjoy it. I don’t believe it’s available to watch online, but if it becomes available be sure to watch it. The book the author wrote is available, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk