• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So you can Rent your regular week, but not an exchange week?

GoToAgent

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Breezes, Palm Canyon, Sheraton Flex
So, If I am reading the forum correctly; most resorts will let you book your regular time (week for example), and rent that time out directly. Correct?

But, If I book a week and deposit it for exchange, then I cannot rent out what I exchanged for. Correct?

Lastly, then if I get the exchange I want; but then cannot get the vacation time from work; what are my options to do with the week that I received from exchange? Is there no way to rent that? Can you put it on Ebay?

Thanks!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Right. And- if you book something you can't use you cannot rent it out. That is why you might want to take out the insurance. I believe RCI has something where you can salvage your points just in case.

I have fixed weeks I never exchange, but I always take out travel insurance on them through Generali just in case we can't go, so our maintenance fees would be reimbursed.

dmurray007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Suitelife Vacations Club
Shell Vacations Club (American)
Viida Vacations Club (Grand Luxxe)
So, If I am reading the forum correctly; most resorts will let you book your regular time (week for example), and rent that time out directly. Correct?

But, If I book a week and deposit it for exchange, then I cannot rent out what I exchanged for. Correct?

Lastly, then if I get the exchange I want; but then cannot get the vacation time from work; what are my options to do with the week that I received from exchange? Is there no way to rent that? Can you put it on Ebay?

Thanks!
Question why would you book a week unless you know you had the time off? Is your week a fixed week or a floating week? Although it may be more costly I find a points system more flexible especially for exchanging.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if II or not, but their policy is here, so, with II, you would cancel it.

8. II Exchange Cancellation Policy — Other than Club Interval Points–Based Exchange Confirmations:
(a) The only circumstances under which a Member using the Exchange Program may lose the use and occupancy of the Home Resort accommodations or relinquished points (including Preferred Points) without being provided Host Accommodations are if a Member: (i) using the Deposit First method of exchange fails to submit a valid exchange request within the time periods specified; (ii) using the Deposit First method of exchange requests accommodations that are not available and fails to accept any alternate locations and/or time periods offered; (iii) cancels a Confirmation seven days or more prior to the first date of occupancy of the Host Accommodations being canceled and fails to request substitute accommodations in accordance with II’s Exchange Cancellation Policy; (iv) cancels a Confirmation less than seven days prior to the first date of occupancy of the Host Accommodations being canceled; (v) cancels or loses the use of a Confirmation, at any time, due to the threatened or actual damage or destruction of the Host Accommodations; (vi) cancels a Confirmation for substitute Host Accommodations that was previously issued to the Member under II’s Exchange Cancellation Policy; or (vii) where the use of the Home Resort accommodations by II is lost or impaired due to circumstances beyond II’s control.
(b) Under II’s Exchange Cancellation Policy, a Member may be entitled to cancel a Confirmation where the Confirmation is issued seven days or more prior to the first date of occupancy. In order to cancel a qualified Confirmation, the Member must notify II of his or her desire to cancel such Confirmation within the first 24 hours after the exchange request has been confirmed. In the event that the Member has used the Deposit First method of exchange, the Member’s exchange fee will be refunded and the deposit will revert to a status such that the Member may redeem such deposit at a future time to place another exchange request. If the Member has used the Request First method of exchange, the Member’s exchange fee will be refunded and the right to occupy the Home Resort accommodations shall revert to the Member.
(c) When a Member notifies II of his or her desire to cancel a Confirmation seven days or more prior to the first date of occupancy of the Host Accommodations being canceled, the Member will be entitled to request substitute exchange accommodations, as long as the Member requests travel occurring no later than 12 months following the date on which the Member cancels said Confirmation for Host Accommodations. However, the time period in which the Member is entitled to request substitute exchange accommodations is limited, as follows:
(i) When a Member notifies II of his or her desire to cancel the Confirmation 60 days or more prior to the first date of occupancy of his or her Host Accommodations, the Member may request substitute exchange accommodations at any time from the date of cancellation up to 24 hours prior to the first date of occupancy of such substitute exchange accommodations.
(ii) Where the Member notifies II of his or her desire to cancel the Confirmation 59 days to 14 days prior to the first date of occupancy of his or her Host Accommodations, the Member may request substitute exchange accommodations 59 days to 24 hours prior to the first date of occupancy of such substitute exchange accommodations.
(iii) When a Member notifies II of his or her desire to cancel the Confirmation from 13 to seven days prior to the first date of occupancy of his or her Host Accommodations, the Member may request substitute exchange accommodations from limited travel destinations 30 days to 24 hours prior to the first date of occupancy of such substitute exchange accommodations.
(iv) II will retain the exchange fee paid initially to secure the canceled Confirmation.

shellmo1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
I know nothing about RCI but if you are using Interval for exchange, I suggest buying Eplus when you get an exchange. You can retrade up to 3 times and it is well worth it if you have to change your plans or a family emergency arises, or even if you see something you like better during a manual search.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
what are my options to do with the week that I received from exchange?
Some folks above gave you some tips for II.

For RCI, your deposit is given a numerical value that represents its worth. When you exchange, you trade (some of) that value for the vacation you want, plus you pay an "exchange fee" for doing so. If you cancel far enough in advance (~9 months if I recall correctly) you get all of that value back. If you cancel closer in than that, you only get part of that value back, and the amount you get goes down the closer you get to check-in. In all cases, you lose the exchange fee. You can then use the value you get back, plus any that was unused in the first place, to make a different exchange, paying another exchange fee.

If you think canceling close to the check-in date is likely, you can buy "cancel protection." It's about $60, give or take. It preserves the value of the time you are depositing, so that if you cancel, you get full value of your deposited week back, even if it is quite last-minute. You do still have to pay another exchange fee.

The reason this might matter is that some exchanges require more value than others. So, losing value might mean taking a less-desirable exchange in return, or not having enough to take a desirable exchange at all, depending on your constraints.

And no, in RCI you are not allowed to rent the week you have exchanged for.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
You're not allowed to rent exchange weeks in either program. But you can get guest certificates for exchanged stays and even bonus weeks. You just can't use them "commercially" aka for profit.
But if you have a friend who ends up using it and compensates you with cash, it's not like they can track that.
Legally I cannot recommend doing that though

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You're not allowed to rent exchange weeks in either program. But you can get guest certificates for exchanged stays and even bonus weeks. You just can't use them "commercially" aka for profit.
But if you have a friend who ends up using it and compensates you with cash, it's not like they can track that.
Legally I cannot recommend doing that though

To add to the above: If RCI (and I'd presume, also II) catches you renting an exchanged week, you could end up with your account cancelled, your other exchanges forfeited, and you'd be shown the door, permanently. They don't want anyone competing with them for renting out what is in inventory. ;)

If you have doubts about whether you can use what you own, you may want to reconsider owning at all. You might be money ahead renting from other owners until you're sure you can make an owner's usage commitment for yourself. But even then, if you cancel an agreed rental, that owner may not return all your money. It's kind of a slippery slope, depending on circumstances.

Dave