• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So, there are a lot of threads about retiring...who would like to retire in Disney World?

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might be right. I keep forgetting that the very rich are truly different than us... I visit that world every once in awhile, and ponder on it's longevity.

As long as the economic system supports great wealth, there will be be the very rich. (And as long as there is a civilization of any sort, there will be an equivalent class. Think of kings and nobles under feudalism. Or the upper echelon of people with power under the old Soviet Union.)

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many hurricanes have hit Disney in Orlando in the last forty years? Walt Disney picked the Orlando location for a reason.

Yep, it's safer than the coast. If you have big, big piles of money and love the Mouse, it's an appealing deal. Based on my current bank balance, I will continue to just visit WDW from time to time rather than taking up residence...

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're right, of course, Ralph Sir Edward. I was in a rather contemplative mood when I wrote that last night. We're looking at moving to a resort area (not Orlando) where a lot of million dollar plus properties are second and third homes. I'm wondering if a recession will cause a dip in prices like it did ten years ago, when prices fell by half or more...

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
That general area is home to many celebrities and pro athletes. Remember the famous golf club in Tiger Woods' window? Yup, that was there!

geekette

Reaction score
There is zero chance that I would want to retire from hubbub. I am in fact just back from a week of camping in the wilderness and can't wait to go back. neon and masses of people aren't my cup of tea.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
;)
Florida is essentially Purgatory. If you've been a little bad but not bad enough to get sent straight to hell then you go there to serve out your time.

... I so dislike connecting flights with those long layovers....

;)

geekette

Reaction score
Florida is essentially Purgatory. If you've been a little bad but not bad enough to get sent straight to hell then you go there to serve out your time.
I honestly do not get the appeal of retiring to Florida. It is HOT. Way too hot for me. I figure if I'm a truly bad girl, I'll be dumped into the Everglades to swim my way out. While I am a really good swimmer, I don't think I'd escape the gators. Those guys creep me out.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I honestly do not get the appeal of retiring to Florida. It is HOT. Way too hot for me. I figure if I'm a truly bad girl, I'll be dumped into the Everglades to swim my way out. While I am a really good swimmer, I don't think I'd escape the gators. Those guys creep me out.

LOL! I feel the same. And the constant sameness of the weather. And the beach, the beach, the beach. How often is everyone going to the beach? Seems like everyday. That and the golf course.

Don't get me wrong- I love the ocean. I love sun.
I also hate massive heat and humidity.
I hate real long freezing winters also. But I like snow-especially at XMAS- just not to drive in. I like cozying up by a fireplace on a cold evening. I would like Winters to be shorter and Falls longer.

But there is something about 4 season living. Builds character. Adds a level of challenge and diversity to life and the landscape.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Two days ago it reached 87 degrees here and I was miserable. Then the next day it dropped into the 50's and windy and I was in heaven. Had all the windows opened and overnight also!

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL! I feel the same. And the constant sameness of the weather. And the beach, the beach, the beach. How often is everyone going to the beach? Seems like everyday. That and the golf course.

Don't get me wrong- I love the ocean. I love sun.
I also hate massive heat and humidity.
I hate real long freezing winters also. But I like snow-especially at XMAS- just not to drive in. I like cozying up by a fireplace on a cold evening. I would like Winters to be shorter and Falls longer.

But there is something about 4 season living. Builds character. Adds a level of challenge and diversity to life and the landscape.

Some people say I'm too much of a character as it is. :D I still hate cold weather.

On the other hand, when I first stepped off of a plane in Orlando, and stuck my nose outside, my first words were - "Bad Karma".

Just the opposite when I stepped off the plane in Honolulu. . .

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Some people say I'm too much of a character as it is. :D I still hate cold weather.

On the other hand, when I first stepped off of a plane in Orlando, and stuck my nose outside, my first words were - "Bad Karma".

Just the opposite when I stepped off the plane in Honolulu. . .

Yup. I love Hawaii and yes- I think I could live there just fine! LOL! Hot- but gotta love those trade winds!

I always said if I was very rich I would own a home in Vermont and a home in Hawaii.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting comments from everyone. Unlike some of you, I understand the appeal of living in Florida. I could easily live there. The weather is nice most of the year and there is an abundance of things to do in that part of the country (not to mention no income tax), and a convenient jump off point to other parts of the world. I was just curious who would want to live in a residential enclave inside Disney? I don't see the appeal of a mouse in the house - HOA rules even stated you must have several hidden Mickeys on your property! That's too funny to me.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I also need mountains. Florida’s landscape is flat and boring.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting comments from everyone. Unlike some of you, I understand the appeal of living in Florida. I could easily live there. The weather is nice most of the year and there is an abundance of things to do in that part of the country (not to mention no income tax), and a convenient jump off point to other parts of the world. I was just curious who would want to live in a residential enclave inside Disney? I don't see the appeal of a mouse in the house - HOA rules even stated you must have several hidden Mickeys on your property! That's too funny to me.

Yes, you would need to be a superfan. Roll out of bed in your PJs and take a bus to the Magic Kingdom for some Mickey waffles. And you probably need to be rich enough that it's not your only pad - maybe summer in Vancouver or Banff or something...

I watched some youtube videos where they showed the interiors for some of the houses in Golden Oak - one of the narrators who was planning to buy in was a bit snooty in declaring that the $10 million houses were SO much nicer than the $2 million houses there... :/

One of my FL cousins tells me the heat is much like the cold up north in some ways - you leave the house to play or do what you need to but mostly you rely on climate control and stay inside during the hottest months. (Unlike the cold north, the heat - usually - abates in the evenings and mornings.)

I love Hawaii but the long flights would be too much for me. Too many ties to the East Coast. I probably won't but I do sometimes ponder moving within 30 minutes or so of Disney for retirement. But I understand that it wouldn't be for everyone - when my brother and I hit the parks, he is still all about rushing from ride to ride. Some of us just love the vibe.