• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So one year after the price increase...

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying Cedar planks on Amazon prime for grilling. Now that I have the heat control back on my grill I'm doing a salmon. But I'm using my last cedar plank, so I need to get more. But my wife said Costco didn't have the cedar planks in stock this year (they're cheaper at Costco) so Amazon it is. Hopefully Costco has them next year, if they do I'm buying lots.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I don't shop at my local Whole Foods Market - prefer my local stores - but when I do, I get an extra 10% off sale items for being Prime, and there are Prime focused deals. Right now, it's 35% off all frozen desserts through July 30.
If I lived in a city where they have rolled out free grocery delivery from Whole Foods, I would use them more.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Something I stumbled across on Prime today caught my attention - the Prime channels.

I've seen the ad before while browsing Prime but we recently dropped CBS All Access and CBS All Access is a channel offered in the Prime Channels.
The first three months of CBS All Access are discounted to $2.99 (limited commercial option) and then the price reverts back to its usual $5.99
But if I am looking to expand my viewing options, Prime Channels does include the big movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc) WITHOUT needing to subscribe to base subscription package.

In other words, if I wanted to pick up HBO and I already subscribed to Amazon Prime, I could do so by just paying the price for the channel within Amazon Prime.
A list of channels can be found at: https://www.thecordcutterlife.com/complete-list-of-amazon-channels/

It is still NOT quite ala carte - but it's getting closer!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Something I stumbled across on Prime today caught my attention - the Prime channels.

I've seen the ad before while browsing Prime but we recently dropped CBS All Access and CBS All Access is a channel offered in the Prime Channels.
The first three months of CBS All Access are discounted to $2.99 (limited commercial option) and then the price reverts back to its usual $5.99
But if I am looking to expand my viewing options, Prime Channels does include the big movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc) WITHOUT needing to subscribe to base subscription package.

In other words, if I wanted to pick up HBO and I already subscribed to Amazon Prime, I could do so by just paying the price for the channel within Amazon Prime.
A list of channels can be found at: https://www.thecordcutterlife.com/complete-list-of-amazon-channels/

It is still NOT quite ala carte - but it's getting closer!

This has been available direct with a Roku or Apple TV for a while...it’s also not new with Amazon. Sometimes there are discounts on the monthly fees, but as you mention typically are time limited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We still have it. For me the shipping and the Prime videos are worth it. I think looking for a library book on kindle is not user friendly and i gave up on it after awhile. not worth the time. I really haven;t had the time to search out more free music. I do use Alexa to play my music when I am exercising. I have the photo storage cloud app but I rarely use it as it takes too long.

I order most things on line and through Amazon. And their customer service is really great.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We still have it. For me the shipping and the Prime videos are worth it. I think looking for a library book on kindle is not user friendly and i gave up on it after awhile. not worth the time. I really haven;t had the time to search out more free music. I do use Alexa to play my music when I am exercising. I have the photo storage cloud app but I rarely use it as it takes too long.

I order most things on line and through Amazon. And their customer service is really great.
I set up Amazon Photos the other day and so far it has worked out great. It allowed me to pick an external HDD for the folder to backup and I set it to only backup photos because I have a few videos in there. I can see how it could take a long time to do the initial backup. We had about 1TB of photos (130,000 photos) and it took about 18 hours. It should have gone faster as we usually get about 400Mbps upload on AT&T Fiber, but there must have been a bottleneck somewhere. I couldn't imagine how long it would take over 20Mbps which is what most cable 400Mbps plans have. Over DSL it would be horrendous.

The thing I like about it is that it does face recognition and then you can go in and name the people. Also if your camera captures GPS data, you can filter based on location. For a backup solution, it seems to be working pretty well.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I set up Amazon Photos the other day and so far it has worked out great. It allowed me to pick an external HDD for the folder to backup and I set it to only backup photos because I have a few videos in there. I can see how it could take a long time to do the initial backup. We had about 1TB of photos (130,000 photos) and it took about 18 hours. It should have gone faster as we usually get about 400Mbps upload on AT&T Fiber, but there must have been a bottleneck somewhere. I couldn't imagine how long it would take over 20Mbps which is what most cable 400Mbps plans have. Over DSL it would be horrendous.

The thing I like about it is that it does face recognition and then you can go in and name the people. Also if your camera captures GPS data, you can filter based on location. For a backup solution, it seems to be working pretty well.

Yes- we have DSL. The mobile app through the cell service works better than that and that even takes forever.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I don't shop at my local Whole Foods Market - prefer my local stores - but when I do, I get an extra 10% off sale items for being Prime, and there are Prime focused deals. Right now, it's 35% off all frozen desserts through July 30.
If I lived in a city where they have rolled out free grocery delivery from Whole Foods, I would use them more.

I know this might sound dumb but I'm also a Prime Member and how would I get a discount at Whole foods?

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I am still one of those people that does not order much on-line. As with Costco, you really need to know your prices. They are not always less money but are great for convenience. Walmart and Target are pretty good with prices/delivery time frames too.

I have had someone order from me with Amazon Prime once or twice. I might eventually give in and pay for Prime/just want it to be worth it.

One of the morning shows did a story on prices
They found that prices actually went up and down on same products throughout the week / month based on sales

The more the product was selling on a given day. The higher the price went
If sales dwindled then the prices dropped

They said if not in a hurry to watch that item for a few days / week to see if it drops

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Well, what a difference a year .....and COVID-19.....makes.

Earlier this week came the annual membership fee for Amazon Prime and reviewing our usage over the past year reveals some definite changes (especially since March). Our (one time) orders of various items definitely increased over the past year BUT I think a lot of this is due to ease of availability and knowledge that a product is in stock (and can be obtained with just a click). the value of not having to go into a store definitely increased over the past few months, but even before then (throughout the entirety of the year), checking out product info (cost, availability, etc) increasingly became a regular habit.

This is NOT to suggest such shopping could not be done on other websites, but Amazon still remains among the easiest to use with the widest selection in our experience.

So to revisit the grading areas from last year:

Amazon Music: continues to be the ugly ducking of Amazon. The trend of favorite music moving behind a 2nd paywall continues but I do not listen nearly as often since COVID-19 hit. More on point, Amazon did nothing to improve this service over the past year. Grade F

Amazon (shopping):
While it still remains true that we have not found any item(s) worth ordering on a recurring basis, given the changes in our shopping habits since COVID-19 started, we have more much more use of Amazon this year. I still do not have confidence with respect to their pricing (meaning I still have to check multiple websites to compare on price), but our number of one time (one off) purchases via Amazon jumped significantly over the previous year. It is not overstating the case to say when we consider a purchase of just about anything, Amazon has become our first stop. I noted last year where Amazon was exceptionally good to work with when it comes to product returns. This continues to be true in our experience with Amazon and it keeps us looking on Amazon when we need an item. Grade A

Amazon Photos:
Really no change from last year's review, but this is an area where some enhancement would be appreciated. The look back feature (showing photos taken on today's date in years past) continues to be a strong point, but with the advent of facial recognition software, it would be nice to scan one's photo library for all photos of a selected individual. Grade A-

Amazon Streaming:
In the year since my first review, I can definitely say we have found less to watch on Amazon Prime Streaming this year than last. It seems as of more streaming services want to create and provide content and are increasingly moving away from rebroadcasting older TV show and movies, and Amazon has been at the front of that trend. .... Grade D

So at the conclusion of another year,
I do not see any positive movement overall with respect to our overall satisfaction with Amazon - perhaps even a slight drop - but we'll keep Amazon Prime for another year. The shopping at home option became a lot more valuable over the past year thus offsetting the declines elsewhere. Perhaps the largest disappointment over the past year was the lack of any new aspect to Amazon Prime.

What about you? How was your Amazon Prime membership experience this past year? Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Amazon Photos: Really no change from last year's review, but this is an area where some enhancement would be appreciated. The look back feature (showing photos taken on today's date in years past) continues to be a strong point, but with the advent of facial recognition software, it would be nice to scan one's photo library for all photos of a selected individual. Grade A-
As far as I know, Amazon Photos already does this. As you upload photos, it categorized the faces. You do have to give the faces names, but once you name the faces you can click on a person and see all the images with that person in it.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As far as I know, Amazon Photos already does this. As you upload photos, it categorized the faces. You do have to give the faces names, but once you name the faces you can click on a person and see all the images with that person in it.
I'll have to look further into that, @dioxide45 - thanks for the heads up.
I have not seen any thing in the app on my phone suggesting this - do you see the categorization on your phone, or do you have to use a computer / workstation / chromebook?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'll have to look further into that, @dioxide45 - thanks for the heads up.
I have not seen any thing in the app on my phone suggesting this - do you see the categorization on your phone, or do you have to use a computer / workstation / chromebook?
Perhaps not in the App, I am seeing this feature on the web in browser.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My family has used Amazon maybe a dozen times. The more I read and hear about the company the more I try to avoid it. Yes it is very convenient and often has the best price but I love the bricks and mortar stores enough to hunt around for many items. When I was looking for new handlebar grips to sell our son's bike I had a salesperson refer me to Amazon. I said I had looked but preferred to shop local. The owner/manager heard me and said thank you. I did have to go to three stores to get the perfect grips but I did find them.
Joan

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
You left off free Books and Magazines in the Kindle reader. We enjoy the music app at home and in the car, but then we like to listen to oldies. My wife likes the Spa music when taking a bath.

People are in the app but I didn’t see a way to name them, probably need to do that first in the web version. Its on the right sidebar.
7c5dbaf498edf4cb4349fdc23e171d2d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We are locked into Amazon because we are grandfathered as a family of 4 into one prime account. Cancel the membership and the grandfathering is gone. Once they decide to eliminate grandfathering, or realize that our kids are now in their 20s and cancel, then we will re-evaluate whether Prime is worth it.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I find significant value in Amazon. I may not like what it's doing to small businesses, but I have yet to find an alternative acceptable solution.

screenshot.png

screenshot.png

I am curious what my total order count will be by the end of this year. There's a reason their stock price is increasing.

In addition to the product selection, I enjoy Amazon Prime weekly. Their original programming is quite good.

I don't use all the features of Prime routinely but I regularly use the included free shipping and Prime. It's more than worth the $10/mth ($119/year) fee.

Brett

Reaction score
wife just bought a bicycle on Amazon, delivered in three days (all the adult bikes in stores were sold out !)
yes, still prime

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
@dioxide45, we've used both amazon photos and google photos happily. I think they both upload your photos in "high quality" which seems to me to be pretty hi-res jpeg. We can make good 16x20s out of them. If you want to upload without ANY conversion, or to store the RAW files, you can get 100 Gb for $20/year or (gulp) 1Tb for $60. I'd guess 100 Gb would work if you select the photos you want to upload, and don't just let it upload everything.

We had 127 orders (many with >1 item) in 2019 and 89 so far this year (buying more online rather than going out, stuff like pool chemicals and craft supplies we'd ordinarily shop for in person). Average month about $300, so the shipping deal is definitely worth it. We do play Amazon Music on Alexa, but I agree -- the "XYZ channel" plays two songs by XYZ, two by XYZ-imitators, and then random stuff.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
@dioxide45, we've used both amazon photos and google photos happily. I think they both upload your photos in "high quality" which seems to me to be pretty hi-res jpeg. We can make good 16x20s out of them. If you want to upload without ANY conversion, or to store the RAW files, you can get 100 Gb for $20/year or (gulp) 1Tb for $60. I'd guess 100 Gb would work if you select the photos you want to upload, and don't just let it upload everything.

We had 127 orders (many with >1 item) in 2019 and 89 so far this year (buying more online rather than going out, stuff like pool chemicals and craft supplies we'd ordinarily shop for in person). Average month about $300, so the shipping deal is definitely worth it. We do play Amazon Music on Alexa, but I agree -- the "XYZ channel" plays two songs by XYZ, two by XYZ-imitators, and then random stuff.
From what I understand, you get unlimited full resolution photos with Amazon Prime. I understand full resolution to me that they don't alter the photo in anyway. I can view the photos through Amazon Drive and they look to be the same file size.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
From what I understand, you get unlimited full resolution photos with Amazon Prime. I understand full resolution to me that they don't alter the photo in anyway. I can view the photos through Amazon Drive and they look to be the same file size.
Yes, Amazon Prime uploads photos in full resolution, where Google Photos resamples them to a standard resolution to reduce the file sizes.

Kurt

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Years ago after reading Jeff Bezos' biography I decided to do as little business with Amazon as possible. I will buy from Amazon if I can't find what I need elsewhere witch is not very often...

George
Do tell! What comes to mind? Asking because I'm just taking my lunch break from work and the libraries are closed.

Honestly, not surprised to hear you say this. For all the SMUGS here who cannot justify shopping at Walmart or Sam's yet have no problem with Amazon? I've known too many people who work there. I know better.

They are last on my list b/c of their delivery. So, a hard NO to Prime. If I order from any other vendor, I can count on delivery. Amazon's third party delivery trucks will leave my pkg on any porch and it might not even be in my neighborhood.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do tell! What comes to mind? Asking because I'm just taking my lunch break from work and the libraries are closed.

Unfortunately it was about 10-15 years ago and I don't remember the details. I also remember having a similar reaction after reading the biography of Steve Jobs, also many years ago...

George