• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So many unknowns with future of ILG integration, is it worth buying trust to bridge?

chileaquiles

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own multiple weeks and converted to points back when they offered it. In the past during our tours they would try to get us to buy trust points to become Hybrid owners and to executive level. We always said no, because didn't see the value. With still having the ability of using II to exchange and still getting pretty good exchanges. Now the executive level went up and would need more trust points to get it but still don't see the value. But we are also owners of the Hyatt and Westin timeshare and assumed eventually they would probably offer the same path to get our deeded weeks into the trust and to use it in whatever point system this transition would become. Now i question is it worth buying the minimum number of points offered for trust just to become a "hybrid" owner. Assuming it may get harder to exchange in II and/or combining our points across whatever system they will eventually offer to get our deeded weeks from Hyatt or Westin. Your thoughts or recommendation? Get in now before prices continue to go up, or wait to see what they will offer later and if II inventory does change?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I would wait and see
vs
Buying now in hopes that it might help me out, but not really knowing if it will or won’t.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would wait. Prices creep up very slowly. Too much uncertainty to buy the points at the this time. If you can, start saving so you won’t need the financing which is expensive.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's anyone's guess. I am on the side that says there will be minimal changes where each system remains separate but all three developer-purchased points/weeks and possibly Marriott enrolled week owners will be given the opportunity to book into the other 2 systems at 8 months out. Marriott may also include some "unsold" weeks from the other 2 systems into the Marriott trust, like Wyndham. I believe it will copy the Wyndham model where developer-purchased points can book into the other systems at 10 months.

Salespeople want to scare potential buyers with steep price increases in the future, but reality is going to be very different. I don't see price increases at percentages anymore than what it has been over the past few years.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would wait and see
vs
Buying now in hopes that it might help me out, but not really knowing if it will or won’t.
Me too.
I see no real tangible benefit at all for me now in considering buying points.
If this were to change in the future, which I doubt, I would revisit the issue then.
I certainly won’t buy on the off-chance of undefined, potential, future benefits.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Executive level does offer some useful benefits and has been considered by some Tug members to be the sweet spot in the MVC system. The primary benefit is being able to reserve 1 or more nights 13 months prior to check in rather than 10 months. You also get a 25% discount on points reservations within 30 days of checkin if available. You deadline to bank points to the next year is 4 months before year end rather than 6 months. There are a couple others but those are the most useful. If those benefits are useful to you it is worth further consideration.

However, I would wait to see what MVC comes out with regarding the interaction of MVC, Vistana and Hyatt. If they offer Vistana and Hyatt owners an opportunity to enroll in the MVC DC at a reasonable price like they did for MVC weeks owners when they started the DC program you may be allowed enough points for your Vistana and/or Hyatt weeks to get you to the Executive level. Of course the6 could raise the number of points required for that level, but it’s worth waiting it out.

Best regards.

Mike

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Executive level does offer some useful benefits and has been considered by some Tug members to be the sweet spot in the MVC system. The primary benefit is being able to reserve 1 or more nights 13 months prior to check in rather than 10 months. You also get a 25% discount on points reservations within 60 days of checkin if available. You deadline to bank points to the next year is 4 months before year end rather than 6 months. There are a couple others but those are the most useful. If those benefits are useful to you it is worth further consideration.

However, I would wait to see what MVC comes out with regarding the interaction of MVC, Vistana and Hyatt. If they offer Vistana and Hyatt owners an opportunity to enroll in the MVC DC at a reasonable price like they did for MVC weeks owners when they started the DC program you may be allowed enough points for your Vistana and/or Hyatt weeks to get you to the Executive level. Of course the6 could raise the number of points required for that level, but it’s worth waiting it out.

Best regards.

Mike

BTW, Executive discount of 25% is at 30 days.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
. . . If they offer Vistana and Hyatt owners an opportunity to enroll in the MVC DC at a reasonable price like they did for MVC weeks owners when they started the DC program you may be allowed enough points for your Vistana and/or Hyatt weeks to get you to the Executive level. Of course they could raise the number of points required for that level, but it’s worth waiting it out.

I think Mike nails it here.

Marriott will want us to enroll our good Vistana and Hyatt units. So they will need to incentivize us to do so (why would I otherwise give up my WKORV-OFC unit?).

So I will wait to see what their offer is before I spend more money or do any major adjustment to my portfolio.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Marriott will want us to enroll our good Vistana and Hyatt units. So they will need to incentivize us to do so (why would I otherwise give up my WKORV-OFC unit?).

Just remember, IF this ever happens, enrollment doesn't require you to "give up" your WKORV-OFC unit. Enrollment simply adds the OPTION to convert to Destination Points in any given year if you want to go somewhere other than WKORV. And given that a WKORV-OFC unit would likely be worth a lot of Destination Points, electing for points would probably be a better way to go elsewhere than trading that OFC week through II. If OFC got a similar points allocation to the current MVC Maui Ocean Club Lahaina/Napili Villas, election might be worth 7500 points which could be easily leveraged into at least two - maybe even three weeks - elsewhere in the Marriott/Vistana system. Trading a Hawaii OF week through II is often a trade down, but Points help equalize the exchange.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am not going to move toward any kind of status with what we own. The conversations in the past have been frustrating with salespeople. I prefer not to do it.

My one and only sales' presentation through Westin was with a woman who talked up the SPG card (now defunct, pretty much), while she told me she never heard of Sheraton Broadway Plantation, but if we bought at Westin, we could reserve a week during Coachella and rent it for a lot of money. I thought it was a strange conversation.

The last Marriott was years ago, and the guy lied on top of additional lies. He was such a phony. I cannot go back to a presentation like that one.

The Hyatt salespeople were nice, but I don't own anything in Hyatt, and that is probably why. Very high-class product that I would love to own someday, but I would have to get rid of about ten of mine to talk Rick into it.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how Marriott is going to integrate Hyatt TS's into their system or if they will ever do it. I'm fairly sure of one thing though, they are not going to keep paying another hotelier for the rights to use the Hyatt name on a Marriott owned property.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
Did I understand from the original post, correctly, that MVC upped the number of points needed to reach the various levels?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Did I understand from the original post, correctly, that MVC upped the number of points needed to reach the various levels?

Not sure what the OP meant, but Sales has been using the "The Points required for XX level are going up" for years as a way to encourage prospects to buy now. The MVC web site still shows the same points requirements for each level.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the often repeated lines from the salespeople is that a new loyalty level will be created and it will be called Admiralty with 20K points to qualify. If you attain Chairman's Club now, you will be bumped up to Admiralty level. It is their way of trying to sell us up to Chairman's Club level. Even if it were to be true, we have no interest in trying to get to the highest level.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
As a very frequent flyer...every-time there was a merger or combination my status kept getting reduced. But I don't pay for that status in cash. This I am paying for and if my "benefits" are reduced because of the merger activity that would be an issue.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Always remember any perk or benefit is at the discretion of Marriott. Your contract only ties you to your week or points. Everything else is gravy and can be dropped by Marriott.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In general, I'm never a fan of spending money for sure today on the off chance something in particular happens later.
As a rule, I'd agree but it does depend on the specifics AND the credibility of any rumors. Here is an example of how it worked out for me. I owned fixed weeks in Aruba at La Cabana. Bluegreen acquired the rights to the unsold inventory but were not able to offer points for some time. Eventually they worked that issue out. At the time the top VIP level was gold with a very good rumor that Platinum was coming at 60,000 points. Had I simply converted and bought the then required 3000 points, I would have been just short of the 60,000 pt level. So I bought a couple of more fixed week for cheap (conversion fees like $125 at the time per week) then I did the conversion to points. Shortly thereafter the Platinum level did come into being. Bluegreen has been my best value in timeshares BY FAR. There have been changes over the years and there are some benefits and favorable options that have eroded but it's still my best value. This is not something I could have done in the last few years so others no longer have that option. I've acquired some additional points over the years for free and the VIP level applies to all points even if they were not part of the qualifying lot. In addition I've added my adult daughter to those other non qualified acquisitions and she gets the same benefits.

In addition, within a short time (? roughly a. year) LCB announced a large special assessment that would have been roughly $10K had I still owned ALL of the weeks I converted and with now owning points it was like $69 total.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have certainly not received any notification of new owner levels, increased points requirements f9r owner levels or anything else.
Even if they do make changes at some point in the future, I would still expect owners on current levels to be Grandfathered in to any new, higher levels.
It is certainly ;ot something I will worry myself about now.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have certainly not received any notification of new owner levels, increased points requirements f9r owner levels or anything else.
Even if they do make changes at some point in the future, I would still expect owners on current levels to be Grandfathered in to any new, higher levels.
It is certainly ;ot something I will worry myself about now.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We own multiple weeks and converted to points back when they offered it. In the past during our tours they would try to get us to buy trust points to become Hybrid owners and to executive level. We always said no, because didn't see the value. With still having the ability of using II to exchange and still getting pretty good exchanges. Now the executive level went up and would need more trust points to get it but still don't see the value. But we are also owners of the Hyatt and Westin timeshare and assumed eventually they would probably offer the same path to get our deeded weeks into the trust and to use it in whatever point system this transition would become. Now i question is it worth buying the minimum number of points offered for trust just to become a "hybrid" owner. Assuming it may get harder to exchange in II and/or combining our points across whatever system they will eventually offer to get our deeded weeks from Hyatt or Westin. Your thoughts or recommendation? Get in now before prices continue to go up, or wait to see what they will offer later and if II inventory does change?
I thought this whole "hybrid" "supercharged points" pitch was just debunked sales babble.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hybrid
I thought this whole "hybrid" "supercharged points" pitch was just debunked sales babble.
”Hybrid” weeks/points packages do seem to offer some a good (the best?) financial deal.
The “supercharged” points message does continue to be sales bunkum though!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Hybrid

”Hybrid” weeks/points packages do seem to offer some a good (the best?) financial deal.
The “supercharged” points message does continue to be sales bunkum though!
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I think OP was referring to buying some trust points to add to her enrolled points, based on sales babble that she would then own "hybrid" points that make her enrolled points behave like trust points, which we all know is baloney.

I agree that the hybrid weeks/points purchase is the best price for "points" when buying from the developer.

chileaquiles

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies and yes that is what i meant in reference to hybrid. I will wait to see what they will offer to use our Westin and hyatt weeks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk