• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So Happy, Hubby was offered a New Job Opportunity on Friday

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I'm so happy, due to COVID-19 my hubby's company was hit hard during COVID-19 and the company ended up laying off 75% of its workforce last November. Hubby has been aggressively looking since that point for a new opportunity but we were not sure he would land something since he is 63 but he got a job offer on Friday with a Cannabis company in the Ann Arbor area of Michigan. They seem very excited to have him on board, so a win - win.

We wanted to have the opportunity to have him work a few more years to save more money for retirement, while I finish up my career. He is so happy and he really wanted to find an opportunity to work at for a few more years, as he really wanted to feel wanted and make a difference... so I'm so happy that he found this opportunity and I'm so glad that this company was willing to give a mature worker a chance, he is so talented and skilled in finance and treasury that he will be a value add to this company.

Just wanted to share our good news...Now we can save a bit more for a dream home in FL since the price of the condo we want has now gone up over a 100K in the past year with the bidding wars.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Congratulations to you both! Finding valued employment goes a long way to relieve stress at this point in his career. Being part of the finance department of a cannabis company will surely provide unique challenges. And of course, there is the obvious question of whether he ever thought while attending college so long ago that one day he'd end up in a position like this - handling finances for a company like that. :D

Dave

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Congrats! and kudos to your husband on not giving up on his job search ( I would have :))

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats are in order. It's tough as can be for senior workers to find opportunities. Hope it works out that you can achieve your retirement dreams in short order.

Jim

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congratulations to you both! Finding valued employment goes a long way to relieve stress at this point in his career. Being part of the finance department of a cannabis company will surely provide unique challenges. And of course, there is the obvious question of whether he ever thought while attending college so long ago that one day he'd end up in a position like this - handling finances for a company like that. :D

Dave

It's quite funny actually since he attended Notre Dame and now he will finish his career at a Cannabis company... This company started in 2018 in Portland, Oregon and did so well that it expanded its operations into Michigan with a state-of-the-art, Cannabis manufacturing center and decided to make their HQ in MI since the owners graduated from U of M 10 years prior. They told him they were excited to get someone with his expertise in Treasury.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I would look at talking with a lawyer to see about what kind of financial firewall you can erect to show that your assets gained AC (after cannabis) are distinct. Right now the government is turning a blind eye toward the business, but that may not be the case in the future.

Not passing judgment. I'm in favor of legalization, but I'm also a realist.

I'm assuming he doesn't have to do a "pee test" to get the job. :)

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats! and kudos to your husband on not giving up on his job search ( I would have :))

Thank you, I'm very proud of him that he just kept applying and treated this job search like this was his full time job.

Reactions: Tia

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would look a talking with a lawyer to see about what kind of financial firewall you can erect to show that your assets gained AC (after cannabis) are distinct.

I'm not sure what this means?

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!! Happy for you both. Hope you reach your goals soon!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That's wonderful!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I'm so happy, due to COVID-19 my hubby's company was hit hard during COVID-19 and the company ended up laying off 75% of its workforce last November. Hubby has been aggressively looking since that point for a new opportunity but we were not sure he would land something since he is 63 but he got a job offer on Friday with a Cannabis company in the Ann Arbor area of Michigan. They seem very excited to have him on board, so a win - win.

We wanted to have the opportunity to have him work a few more years to save more money for retirement, while I finish up my career. He is so happy and he really wanted to find an opportunity to work at for a few more years, as he really wanted to feel wanted and make a difference... so I'm so happy that he found this opportunity and I'm so glad that this company was willing to give a mature worker a chance, he is so talented and skilled in finance and treasury that he will be a value add to this company.

Just wanted to share our good news...Now we can save a bit more for a dream home in FL since the price of the condo we want has now gone up over a 100K in the past year with the bidding wars.
Congratulation, happy to hear the good news.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Congratulations, sounds like a perfect fit.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is Outstanding and a great way to start the Month of June 2021.
Wishing him good luck in his new occupation .

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judging by the numbers of Help Wanted signs around- and reports from our offspring- who have some say-so in selecting new talent at their employers'. If one is qualified- and willing to work, this is a GREAT time to be in the job market, regardless of age.

Jim

Reactions: Tia

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Congratulations! It's always great when things work out. That has to be such a relief.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats, that's great news. I hope its a medical cannabis company. MIchigan Will be a better State because of him.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Such nice news. Hope his next years are well spent. Just read about a lady who managed a hospital gift shop for 15 years and retired at 77. Good for her for seeking and getting something rewarding to do at age 62.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cannabis may be the most challenging industry for a treasury professional given the restrictions on accessing parts of the banking system. I hope the job is exciting, lucrative, and fulfilling for him to bridge to retirement!
Yes, they did tell him they were very excited to have him come on board with his expertise in Treasury, he has already spoken to the local bank in Michigan that they are associated with and he has looked into the Safe Banking Act.

SAFE Banking Act
The SAFE Banking Act, reintroduced in 2021, was first introduced in March 2019 and has been passed by the U.S. House three times, most recently in September 2019. No Senate floor vote was allowed, however, prior to the recent change in control of the Senate. With bipartisan support and recent endorsements by the American Bankers Association, the Credit Union National Association and others, prospects for passage in the Senate appear good.

Banking Protections
The bill creates a safe harbor for depository institutions, including banks and credit unions, to the extent they would not be liable or subject to federal forfeiture action for providing financial services to a cannabis-related business. Key protections of the bill include prohibiting a federal banking regulator from:

• Terminating or limiting the deposit insurance or share insurance of a depository institution solely because the institution provides financial services to a cannabis-related business
  • Prohibiting or otherwise discouraging a depository institution from offering financial services to such a business
  • Recommending, incentivizing or encouraging a depository institution not to offer financial services to an account holder solely because the account holder is affiliated with such a business
  • Taking any adverse or corrective supervisory action on a loan made to a person solely because the person either owns such a business or owns real estate or equipment leased to such a business.
He feels this opportunity should bridge him to retirement.