• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So Excited Going to Hawaii for 1st time Finally

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's our 25th wedding anniversary. We booked 9 days at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club for the middle of this month. Airfare seemed reasonable! Everything just worked!!!

Any veterans please offer some tips
There's a lot to do and see, particularly if you like hiking or outdoorsy activities in general. But one of my favorites on Kaua'i is to take a drive up to Koke'e State Park; along the way you'll pass Waimea Canyon.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It's our 25th wedding anniversary. We booked 9 days at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club for the middle of this month. Airfare seemed reasonable! Everything just worked!!!

Any veterans please offer some tips
Congratulations, you're going to love Kauai.

If you want to drive to Ke'e Beach on the North Shore you need to go online and get a parking pass. I believe they are available 30 days in advance.

However your schedule turns out, make sure you leave some time to just relax and get on island time. shaka

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
What a great place for your first visit to Hawaii! One if not our favorite of the Marriotts.
Not sure your age/activity level but we love the Na Pali snorkel and sail to Nihau (forbidden) Island. A most of the day trip which is an adventure and exhilarating. Also, look for a kayak trip to the secret falls.

Also, most stock up on drinks/food at Costco on the way in. Poipu is laid back and not a ton of fancy dining.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Congratulations!!! and a resounding and respectful salute to you on this great occasion.......
I especially like the recommendation to drive to Ke'e Beach along the North Shore...
it's worth the drive and it's truly a stunning beach...small and unique, but a memory you'll treasure. Softest sand and most gorgeous setting ever. Special to say the least.
Do a NaPali Coast boat tour AND visit the Botanical Gardens which includes a portion where Jurassic Park was filmed!!! Gorgeous, amazing, breathtaking!
One of the most wonderful days we've had in all our travels.
Kaua'i is a small island and drivable all around in one day, but do your homework and linger in several incredible spots during your stay....
Hanalei Bay for example is breathtaking too......imho Kaua'i is the most beautiful of all the Hawaiian islands.
It's simple, and what you see is what you get, but Wow what you get! And the pace of life is what most people only dream about.
Enjoy. You have chosen a most amazing destination.

1691556264429.png

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I’ve used these driving tours on multiple trips, and they’re great. This is the Apple App Store, but I’m sure you can find the same on Google if that’s what you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

altiste1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge
Marriott Phuket Beach Club
Wyndham Bali Hai
Congrats on your anniversary and your first trip to Kauai! My wife and I were there in January (my first time, not hers). We truly loved Kauai. We rented a car for two days to see the island, which was enough to get a nice overview and spend some time in certain spots. We also did a Na Pali boat tour. Here’s our recommendation for audio tours (available in the App Store): https://guidealong.com/
This used to be called GyPSy guides. Great insider tips, local spot recommendations and history of the island. Definitely increased our enjoyment while touring the island.

bellken

Reaction score
If you are up early before sunrise, go to the beach at Poipu Beach Park (right next door to the Waiohai) to see the sleeping turtles, and, possibly a Monk seal or two. And, take advantage of some the resort activities, they are fun, and, help you learn about the culture.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club, Carlsbad Inn
If you want to drive to Ke'e Beach on the North Shore you need to go online and get a parking pass. I believe they are available 30 days in advance.

However your schedule turns out, make sure you leave some time to just relax and get on island time. shaka
FYI, there is also a shuttle reservation page. I never could get a parking pass. Apparently they are released at midnight Hawaii time and gone within minutes. We could have gotten shuttle reservations up until the day we wanted to go but they were kind of $$ and since we have been before, we passed.

I agree with a lot of the other suggestions - audio driving tours (we used Shaka guides), Na Pali sail (Captain Andy's), Waimea Canyon. All great. Also, if you are a golfer, the little muni course in Wailea was great. The greens fees were about $35, and ride-alongs were free with the cart rental. We also like to rent bikes and ride the bike path in Kapaa. You can ride for quite awhile. It's a great island. Have a great time and congratulations on your anniversary!

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea
Here are 10 things to do/see if you're in Kauai for 9 days:
1. Have your anniversary dinner at the Beach House Restaurant (reservations needed, make them now before you leave and for around 6:30 pm so that way, you are seated and can watch beautiful sunset (around 7:20 pm in August) ... tell them its your anniversary so they can give you a great seat closest to the ocean!)
2. Rent a car and spend the day going to and from Waimea Canyon. You'll need to make sure the weather isn't going to be cloudy that day. Fortunately, the Waiohai is one of the closest resorts to this "Grand Canyon" of Hawaii. Check out the food trucks along the way and grab a bite to eat at one of them! Bring windbreaker/hoodie because it still might be windy and cool up there.
3. Grab a plate lunch at Koloa Fish Market in Koloa. You can't leave Hawaii without at least getting one plate lunch!
4. Hike a part of the Koloa Heritage Trail: Start from Shipwrecks Beach (in front of the Grand Hyatt Kauai) along the ancient and undeveloped coastline to the Mahaulepu Beach. Easy hike, 2 miles out and 2 miles back. If you're really daring, jump off the cliff in Shipwreck's Beach, but just make sure your insurance policies are all up-to-date (just kidding!). Treat yourself to some Lappert's
icecream at Kukuila Shopping Center after your hike! (You'll need to drive there...but it's also a very nice, upscale shopping area.)
5. Go to the North shore and check-out Princeville and also Hanalei Bay (South Pacific was filmed here) and Kee Beach. But also take in a tour of the Limahuli Garden & Preserve (part of the National Botanical Gardens); its a great way to understand how old Hawaii communities operated. Don't forget to stop at Kilauea Lighthouse along the way. If you are golfers, you gotta play Princeville.
6. Do the Napali Coast boat ride as suggested above.
7. Rent snorkel gear and snorkel right in front of your hotel - Poipu Beach is very snorkel-friendly!
8. Buy steaks. seafood and some good wine at Costco in Lihue and show off your bbq skills at the many bbq grille stations at the Waiohai Beach Club. Great way to meet other resort guests.
9. Go on a kayaking trip (to one of the waterfalls) and there is also an option to go zip-lining after.
10. Check out the "Kauai Movie Tour". There are several being offered but check it out and make reservations before you go. As you know, many movies including Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark opening scene was filmed in Kauai, also Jurassic Park and many others.

There are obviously a lot more things you can do...including just chilling out at the resort. We own at the Waiohai and you couldn't have picked a better place for your 25th anniversary/2nd honeymoon :)! Congratulations and here's to another 25 years of married bliss! Aloha!

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
If you go to the botanical gardens (they are well worthwhile), be sure to bring mosquito repellent.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Congrats! Kauai is the best Hawaii island, a paradise.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
-Kayak the Hanalei River
-then eat at Chicken in a Barrel in HanaleI
-Go to the Farmers Market at the center at the Koloa roundabout, Thursdays I think. Buy a piece of chocolate, coconut, macadamia nut pie from The Right Slice booth
-second the suggestion to get up early to see the sea turtles on the sand on Poipu Beach

We usually get to Kauai at least the day prior to check in at Waiohai. We usually stay at the Sheraton just up the beach for that one night. My sunset photo was taken from our balcony at the Sheraton. It is completely un-enhanced. Those are the actual spectacular sunset colors! Have a wonderful time.

Aloha!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve used these driving tours on multiple trips, and they’re great. This is the Apple App Store, but I’m sure you can find the same on Google if that’s what you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Any idea how this compares to the Gypsy guides? I've used those for Mauiand Oahu and they were great

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Platinum/Founder. Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms (selling). WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Any idea how this compares to the Gypsy guides? I've used those for Mauiand Oahu and they were great
We liked Shaka guide. Gypsy guide is one we have used on Maui and Big Island. I did get a little tired of the guy's voice.

I wonder if they will change the script for Maui with Gypsy guide. The fires should change a lot of what they say about Lahaina.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Is it worth visiting there in the winter, or is the water too rough for snorkeling from October-April?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have visited Kaua'i every Season. We have snorkeled every Season.The best location can change. Anin'i Beach is normally good every Season. It is triple reef protected.

Kauai: Remember there is only 1 two lane Hwy from north to south. Down south you have Waimea Canyon. To do this properly is about a day. Take a picnic lunch. Drive to the top. Resist the turn outs. Drive as far as you can and then hike past the top parking a bit. There are several View Points up there. Have your picnic lunch in the Park at the top. Then stop at all or most of the View Points on your way down. There is the Kauai Coffee Planation. There is zip lining in Koloa. There is an inner tube float down the old sugar cane canals in Lihue. There is Poipu Beach. There is the Alakai Swamp Trail. There are Cruises out of Hanapepe Bay to the Napali Cliffs and snorkeling. There is the Spouting Horn. There is the Mala'ulepu Trail that starts on the top of the Cliffs just north of Shipwreck's Beach. There is the Makauwahi Cave. Almost forgot about the light house - a National Park. Also a bird nesting area. Luau: some of the large Hotels have Luau. The two I would recommend are Kilohana just outside of Lihue or Smith Family by Kapa'a. Kilohana has the more traditional entertainment telling the Polynesian story through song and dance. Smith Family has greater diversity to honor the many people that have emigrated to the Islands. Remember Poi is not a dish by itself but to dip your Pork. There is Anini Beach. The town of Hanalei. The beach at Hanalei. To go to Ke'e Beach you need to go online and make a Reservation - either AM or PM. Kayaking up the Wailua River to the Fern Grotto and Secret Falls. It is about a mile hike to the falls. Sometimes the trail is very muddy. In Lihue there is a Costco. Cheapest gas on the Island by a lot. Great Fish Tacos at the Food Truck by Hanalei Pier. Some of the best Chili Pepper Chicken is at the Chevron Station in Priceville. Best Loco Moco is at the Food Shack on the side of the Sueoka's Market in Koloa. Jump off the Cliff just north of Shipwreck Beach and swim to Shipwreck Beach.

The Pines Trail. The hike from the parking lot at the Pu'u O Kila Lookout to the Pihea Lookout is a moderate to strenuous hike at best, depending on weather. Steep downhill trail of rutted red dirt. Hiking shoes and trekking poles highly recommended! The views down over the Napali cliffs is amazing.

Wai Koa Loop Trail. Sleeping Giant Trail.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Platinum/Founder. Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms (selling). WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
One of our good friends from high school is closely related to the Smith family (of the luau and Fern Grotto). Even he gets the stink eye on Kauai during his visits, and he looks like he belongs there. One of the locals told him as he was walking through Kapa'a to "go back to the mainland you white egret bird."

It's the only island I have experienced the stink eye, but I am okay with that.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Is it worth visiting there in the winter, or is the water too rough for snorkeling from October-April?
Many people go during that time to see whales and get away from the winters where they live. But yes, the ocean is rougher then. You can usually find places to Snorkel though. Anini is great but there are rip currents there to be aware of though.

Rough seas can also affect boat tours during that time, especially to Napali and the Ni'ihau Snorkel.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One of our good friends from high school is closely related to the Smith family (of the luau and Fern Grotto). Even he gets the stink eye on Kauai during his visits, and he looks like he belongs there. One of the locals told him as he was walking through Kapa'a to "go back to the mainland you white egret bird."

It's the only island I have experienced the stink eye, but I am okay with that.
I have been really lucky in all my visits to all the islands. I haven't had anyone say anything or gotten stink eye but I certainly don't know what is said after I leave.

One thing I noticed, while working on all the islands, most people seem friendlier when I was in my work clothes. I guess it just showed that I lived on the islands?

Although it hasn't happened to me, it seems like I hear it happens the most on Kauai.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Being triple reef protected it would be unusual for Anin'i to have rip currents. We have never seen or felt them.

We have found all locals to be helpful and kind. But then most of the stores and restaurants assume we get the Kama'aina discount.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Being triple reef protected it would be unusual for Anin'i to have rip currents. We have never seen or felt them.

We have found all locals to be helpful and kind. But then most of the stores and restaurants assume we get the Kama'aina discount.
This is from this January. It's not uncommon.

We have never had an issue on Kauai either. Before we moved I only got the Kama'aina discount a few times. shaka

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
From the Article it appears the folks that drowned were out past the reef protections. We always snorkel South of the Boat Launch area. The further North you go the easier it is to get past the reef protections.

Last edited: