• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Snaptravel vs. Extra Vacations

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge,

There are many weeks listed on SnapTravel at lower prices than are being offered to RCI members on Extra Vacations. For example, a summer week at the Embassy Kaanapali is $699 on snaptravel.com, but it would cost me $1,119 through Extra Vacations.

I would appreciate your looking into this.

Thank you,
Avery

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Avery said:
Madge,

There are many weeks listed on SnapTravel at lower prices than are being offered to RCI members on Extra Vacations. For example, a summer week at the Embassy Kaanapali is $699 on snaptravel.com, but it would cost me $1,119 through Extra Vacations.

I would appreciate your looking into this.

Thank you,
Avery

It is very disturbing Madge. It's also outrageous RCI is using RCI member reviews to promote these weeks and then turn around and want paying RCI members to pay $260 a week more for the same product. Here is an example.

Embassy Poipu, Kauai
Snap Travel
2 bedroom 8/8/2006 to 8/15/2006 6 Full Kitchen $899.99*
2 bedroom 8/18/2006 to 8/25/2006 6 Full Kitchen $899.99*
2 bedroom 8/19/2006 to 8/26/2006 6 Full Kitchen $899.99*
2 bedroom 8/25/2006 to 9/1/2006 6 Full Kitchen $899.99*

Then there are these through RCI extra vacations
2 6 / 6 Full 08/08/2006 $1,159.99
2 6 / 6 Full 08/18/2006 $1,159.99
2 6 / 6 Full 08/19/2006 $1,159.99
2 6 / 6 Full 08/25/2006 $1,159.99

Last edited:

alanmj

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes Madge, I see also major discrepancies.

1 bedroom unit at Green-Blue Houses, Guadeloupe, for 17-24 Dec 2005:

SnapTravel: $699.99
RCI Extra Vacations: $949.99

So $250 extra for the "priviledge" of being an RCI member.....

AlanMJ

P.S. I note that:
"Snap Travel is offered by RCI Holiday Network, Inc., an Indiana licensed real estate salesperson, whose principal broker is John Lawrence Hertweck."

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Avery,

While RCI cannot control pricing for outside vendors, this pricing does seem to be unusually low. Let me do some checking and I'll see what I can find out.

DDI Par

Reaction score
Snap Travel = RCI

Madge:

Can we seriously believe that Snap Travel is an "outside vendor" that is different from RCI? I called the Snap Travel number and my call was picked up by an RCI guide. When I queried about the rental price discrepancies between RCI extra vacations and Snap Travel's pricing, the RCI guide indicated that she had received numerous phone calls from RCI members protesting this situation. Regardless of where this inventory comes from, why would RCI offer, through this affiliated site, better rental prices to the general public than to RCI members? "Membership has its privileges"? Well, not in this case. There are some ethical problems going on.

DDI Par

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the FAQ section of Snap Travel's Affiliate Program

"What is Holiday Network?
Holiday Network is a division of Resort Condominiums International (RCI) and Cendant Corporation, offering vacation rental accommodations perfect for a couple, a family, or a group of friends. Holiday Network's inventory is an aggregation of diverse vacation rental properties from leading property management companies, developers, condominium and housing associations around the world."

So if Snap Travel is offered by Holiday Network and Holiday Network is a division of RCI, why would Snap Travel be an "outside vendor" rather than part of RCI?

alanmj

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
alanmj said:
Yes Madge, I see also major discrepancies.

1 bedroom unit at Green-Blue Houses, Guadeloupe, for 17-24 Dec 2005:

SnapTravel: $699.99
RCI Extra Vacations: $949.99

So $250 extra for the "priviledge" of being an RCI member.....

AlanMJ

Sorry, mea culpa. I just realized that as I'm a Canadian member the RCI prices are in C$, and SnapTravel are in US$. So the difference is not as extreme:

SnapTravel: US$699.99
RCI Extra Vacations: C$949.99 = US$813.90

So the priviledge of being an RCI member is only US$113.91.....

Still sucks!

Alan

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Avery,

I did some research on this and checked with our Inventory Management staff. The pricing you saw on snaptravel.com had been added incorrectly. After it was discovered it was quickly adjusted. Thanks for pointing out this kind of anomaly when you see it. Sometimes it's a matter of simple human error.

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge,

Forgive me if I am not surprised that RCI sought to solve the problem by raising Snap's prices rather than lowering EVs. I do realize there are related issues of Embassy owners being really angry at the low rates. Btw, Snap's prices with available discounts (30% for Amex holders is one example) are still lower than RCI's EVs.

fwiw, my 2007 week has been deposited with an independent exchange company. I had no trouble getting a great trade that RCI would probably have rented out rather than putting it into the exchange pool. I realize you are doing us a favor by being here, and don't mean to take out my frustrtation on you, Madge, but hope that you will pass this information on.

Avery

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Avery,

The pricing on SnapTravel was incorrect -- once that was pointed out, we corrected it.

RCI offers inventory that wasn't used for exchanges -- this does not deplete the exchange inventory because no units were taken in exchange for it.

While I am sorry to hear you chose not to deposit your week with RCI, I certainly respect your right to pursue the most successful avenues for your vacations. I hope that you will try us again.