• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Six Basic Personal Finance Facts People Constantly Get Wrong

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Six Basic Finance Facts People Constantly Get Wrong - by Trent Hamm/ Personal Finance/ Lifehacker/ lifehacker.com

"Quite often, the “facts” that people tout when it comes to personal finance aren’t quite facts at all. Sometimes they’re just opinions stated with authority, or they’re based on incorrect information or assumptions. Is it any wonder there’s so much confusion when many finance principles are counter-intuitive?..."

kalnzwvvtc2auisxstks.jpg

Richard

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guarantee that most people get these wrong. Folks on these boards are pretty well educated and up on things or else we wouldn't all be here trying to game the timeshare system.

Most people don't save any money other than via social security or savings. Thus they won't have a 401k or any other investments. That takes numbers 2 and 3 out of the mix.

Number 5 is completely elusive to almost everyone, even smart people who should know better.

On number 4, almost nobody looks at buying a house at these terms. People either rent or buy based on other things like wanting to have something they own (even though the bank generally owns the house for a very long time) or wanting to be able to be mobile.

Number 6 seems to occur regardless of how much you make if you are unhappy to begin with, the size of what you want just goes up the more money you have.

Number 1 isn't even worth a discussion. Unless you do your own taxes by hand the software or your accountant figures out the answer.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite one is not on this list and it comes from 2 different CPAs:

- Social Security payment is based on SS tax of your highest earning year. So you only need to hit the maximum on 1 year then you get the maximum amount.
- Social Security payment is computed based on the highest earning 5 years. So you only need to earn to the limit for 5 years and you will get the maximum payout.

Unfortunately the first one comes from my current CPA and the second is a good friend owns a CPA firm. They both urged that I stop working now as I will be getting the maximum payout from social security regardless. DUH!

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
sptung, I hope you are kidding, and if not you sure need a new CPA. In fact, I'd report that one to the licensing board in your state. That's dangerous advice!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
My favorite is #6.

6) If You’re Unhappy, Having That Thing You Want Most Won’t Make You Happy

I've know many unhappy people that think buying the latest _______ (fill in the blank) will give them joy. If it does, it always seems to be short lived and hollow. The author also has some wise advice:

First, how you spend your time has a lot more to do with your happiness than what things you own.

Second, whether or not you choose to be happy is also a vital factor in your own happiness.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite one is not on this list and it comes from 2 different CPAs:

- Social Security payment is based on SS tax of your highest earning year. So you only need to hit the maximum on 1 year then you get the maximum amount.
- Social Security payment is computed based on the highest earning 5 years. So you only need to earn to the limit for 5 years and you will get the maximum payout.

Unfortunately the first one comes from my current CPA and the second is a good friend owns a CPA firm. They both urged that I stop working now as I will be getting the maximum payout from social security regardless. DUH!

I hope the rate you are paying is low..because the quality sounds like it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Six Basic Finance Facts People Constantly Get Wrong - by Trent Hamm/ Personal Finance/ Lifehacker/ lifehacker.com

"Quite often, the “facts” that people tout when it comes to personal finance aren’t quite facts at all. Sometimes they’re just opinions stated with authority, or they’re based on incorrect information or assumptions. Is it any wonder there’s so much confusion when many finance principles are counter-intuitive?..."

kalnzwvvtc2auisxstks.jpg

Richard
This is all comon sense...people really get this wrong?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I guarantee that most people get these wrong. Folks on these boards are pretty well educated and up on things or else we wouldn't all be here trying to game the timeshare system.

Most people don't save any money other than via social security or savings. Thus they won't have a 401k or any other investments. That takes numbers 2 and 3 out of the mix.

Number 5 is completely elusive to almost everyone, even smart people who should know better.

On number 4, almost nobody looks at buying a house at these terms. People either rent or buy based on other things like wanting to have something they own (even though the bank generally owns the house for a very long time) or wanting to be able to be mobile.

Number 6 seems to occur regardless of how much you make if you are unhappy to begin with, the size of what you want just goes up the more money you have.

Number 1 isn't even worth a discussion. Unless you do your own taxes by hand the software or your accountant figures out the answer.

I disagree.

Everybody I know has a 401k or had one if they are retired. Number 5 is just common sense as are the others.

I know that there are some people that get these things wrong but to say that people constantly do is a gross exaggeration.

geekette

Reaction score
I disagree.

Everybody I know has a 401k or had one if they are retired. Number 5 is just common sense as are the others.

I know that there are some people that get these things wrong but to say that people constantly do is a gross exaggeration.

And throwing a guarantee on top of it furthers the drama. Makes me wanna say Prove It, but that's equally ridiculous...

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've know many unhappy people that think buying the latest _______ (fill in the blank) will give them joy. If it does, it always seems to be short lived and hollow.

But sometimes, buying new toys bring years of contentment... Like a new power tools, the 60" over my fireplace, my remodeled master bath, a new computer and computer desk.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
But sometimes, buying new toys bring years of contentment... Like a new power tools, the 60" over my fireplace, my remodeled master bath, a new computer and computer desk.

Were you an unhappy person before you bought them, or were you a happy person that is happier now?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I agree with this to an extent- if certain things can improve your lifestyle, they can make you happier.

But certainly, if you tend to not be a happy person overall, nothing will make you happy in the long run.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Were you an unhappy person before you bought them, or were you a happy person that is happier now?

I wouldn't describe myself as an unhappy or happy person.
Sure, stocking up on the latest-greatest gadgets is foolish.
But having "nice things" brings me a small measure of happiness.

I enjoy a middle-class, bourgeois existence, more than I would not.

geekette

Reaction score
I think the point was more about the people that latch onto the idea that "everything will be perfect when ...." x happens. Only maybe x doesn't ever happen or maybe x happens and they still aren't happy. For me the point is to live in the now and find your happiness in the areas you can control.

I had a friend in college that planned her life down to the year she would have her first child and what its name should be, and then she could be happy. But she graduated late, throwing the timeline off, and she didn't meet nor marry her husband on her original timeline. And guess what, papa wanted a say in what the name of the kid would be. She figured out that planting a flag on some future thing or occurrence and delaying your own happiness until then is foolish. Once she began living in the present, enjoying her life in the here and now, the angst about climbing the hill to happiness vanished.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought point number 4 was interesting:

4) Renting Isn’t Just Throwing Money Away and Buying a House Won’t Make You Rich Due to ‘Equity’

Seeing that this is a Timeshare forum, this point is so applicable to TSs. It's kind of funny how TS sales people try to spin this. One of their main selling points is that if you rent (be it a hotel room, TS, or vacation home), all you end up with is worthless receipts. Whereas you could own your own vacation property and have equity and an asset, yadda, yadda, yadda.

This seems also to be the case in the area where we live. When many condos, high-rises, townhouse complexes, etc. are getting ready to break ground to be built, they advertise with a tag line along the lines of "Stop paying your landlord's mortgage."

geekette

Reaction score
This seems also to be the case in the area where we live. When many condos, high-rises, townhouse complexes, etc. are getting ready to break ground to be built, they advertise with a tag line along the lines of "Stop paying your landlord's mortgage."

"And start paying ours"

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought point number 4 was interesting:

4) Renting Isn’t Just Throwing Money Away and Buying a House Won’t Make You Rich Due to ‘Equity’

Seeing that this is a Timeshare forum, this point is so applicable to TSs. It's kind of funny how TS sales people try to spin this. One of their main selling points is that if you rent (be it a hotel room, TS, or vacation home), all you end up with is worthless receipts. Whereas you could own your own vacation property and have equity and an asset, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Especially with the transaction costs on property in the US. It's easily over 10% of the value.

So the first 10% of the equity goes to someone else.