• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Siri, Alexa and Other Virtual Assistants Put to the Test

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Siri, Alexa and Other Virtual Assistants Put to the Test - by Brian X. Chen/ Personal Tech/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"WHEN I asked Alexa earlier this week who was playing in the Super Bowl, she responded, somewhat monotonously, “Super Bowl 49’s winner is New England Patriots.”

“Come on, that’s last year’s Super Bowl,” I said. “Even I can do better than that.”

At the time, I was actually alone in my living room. I was talking to the virtual companion inside Amazon’s wireless speaker, Echo, which was released last June. Known as Alexa, she has gained raves from Silicon Valley’s tech-obsessed digerati and has become one of the newest members of the virtual assistants club.

All the so-called Frightful Five tech behemoths — Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook and Google, now part of Alphabet — now offer virtual assistants, which handle tedious tasks in response to voice commands or keystrokes, on various devices. Apple’s Siri is the best known, having been available since 2011, but Microsoft now has Cortana, Facebook is testing one called M, and Google builds its voice assistant into its search apps..."

28techfix-illo-blog427.jpg

Minh Uong/ The New York Times

Richard

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked Alexa When is the SB?...She said: " SB 50 will be played Feb 7 at 630 pm on CBS..The Broncos play the Panthers" Correct

Google gave same answer

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the end, people are going to use (and root for) the device they have and get used to.

Here is an excerpt from this week's Alexa update: (forgive the lousy formatting that didn't carry over)

Finding Popular Skills Since we first introduced third-party skills last August, more than 175 have been added including skills from Fidelity, StubHub, Huffington Post, and more. In addition to searching for skills, you can now sort them by average customer review, newest arrivals, or alphabetically. Simply open the Alexa App, tap "Skills" from the menu, and sort based on what you are looking for.

Looking for a new skill to try? Here are two of our most popular ones. TV Shows " Alexa, what time is American Idol on?"

Word Master "Alexa, Open Word Master."

My personal use is that I use Alexa when I'm home, and Cortana when I'm out. Unfortunately, my Windows phone doesn't have the Alexa app available, so the shopping and to-do lists from Alexa are of little utility.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Not that we go to the movies, but I like that you can ask her what is playing in the are and what times! Great!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
My Android phone has an Alexa App for it. Wonder why windows won't create one?

I too use my Alexa at home, mostly for Audible book and radio play, but I do ask it weather and other occasional questions.

Honest comparing Alexa to Siri and others is not really apple to apples.

Alexa's strength is having a much better sound quality and volume of audio, not really a comparison to the tablet based speaker systems.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Android phone has an Alexa App for it. Wonder why windows won't create one?

Dunno. Probably something to do with them having Cortana, and 'crosstown rival' Amazon being seen as the enemy of Microsoft, and vice versa. Windows Phone having a miniscule market share by Android standards doesn't help.

I can have Cortana make shopping and to-do lists that are in some ways more sophisticated than Alexa's ("Cortana, next time I go by the florist's, remind me to send anniversary flowers to Paula.") causes me to use it instead. Cortana uses logic that allows it to know, using the above example, which florist I use, that Paula is my wife, and that our anniversary is coming up- if 'she' doesn't already know it. Much better than just a list, no?

Jim