• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Singles with no significant other - timeshare/vacation travel

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

So as I embrace being single again I plan on traveling by myself. It would be the first time, as last time I was single I invited friends to travel with me and didn’t go if I couldn’t find anyone to join me. This time I have no issues going by myself.

Would like to hear your travel stories/adventures if you embarked on traveling on your own. What works and what didn’t.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
There are some active travel groups on Facebook of women who travel solo and women over 50 who travel. I bet you would get some great advice in these groups and maybe meet some travel buddies.

There are many more similar groups but the above are just a few I have joined.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Right after 911, I had a trip booked to St Thomas. DH couldn't go so I went by myself...it was a first. I stayed at a small resort Magens Bay Resort). When I arrived, they had drinks by the pool while everyone waited for their rooms to be ready. It was great, I met 4 other ladies and one gent and one couple and ended up spending the week hanging out together.

If you don't find a group...try a smaller resort where you might meet other folks traveling alone

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I travel by myself frequently. Mainly because I go to places that people can't take the time to go (go for several weeks), or the money (I use FF miles, timeshares, CC points so it is not too expensive).

I do like to travel on Tradewinds solo, as you are not solo during meals. Which is the only part of solo travel I dislike, at times.

But I have been to Maldives, French Poly, Thailand and Malaysia for some exotic travel. Belize, Panama, Mexico all over the Caribbean for closer travel. Been all over the US alone too. Mainly because of scheduling.

I have friends that invite themselves to join me, I'm open to that. Or I will plan a bigger girls or friends group. That happens too.

In my 20s I went and back packed through Europe for 2 summers in a row. So now even in my 50 I am still going solo at times.

Enjoy, and go where you want, see what you want to see. If you find people you like, you hang out. If you don't like them you leave. Some friends you will make for life, some you can get away from ASAP. LOL.

Last edited:

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I have also travelled by myself. I'm pretty independent and don't mind doing things by myself. I enjoy the out of doors so will sometimes join a ranger led walk/tour at a national or state park or National wildlife area. I will also check the local Audubon club for birding walks. These are excellent ways to get advise from locals on where to go next. I sometimes invite friends along, but life happens and they aren't always reliable. Just go and do what you want to do. The advantage is that you can change course without checking with anybody else. It's different but worthwhile. Go for it.

Sue

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My younger dd travels by herself a lot. Although she's said it would be fun to have someone go with her, I think she actually prefers the solo travel. That way she can do what SHE wants to do when SHE wants to do it. :D She does travel with us as well, and she's a delightful travel companion.

She did seven weeks in Europe on her own and several weeks in New Zealand by herself.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have decided I will travel to beach timeshares by myself. Oh the pleasure of going to the beach with my book sitting under an umbrella and staying as long As I please!

I have a married friend who flies to Europe once a year books the first night at a hotel and gets a euroPass and decides where to go at the station. She would spend a month like that. Now she us sheltered at home

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I want to travel and my husband can't (or I just want to extend a trip)I pick a place he is not that interested in and join either intrepid or g adventures. These are small group tours (max 16) that pair you with a same sex roommate or you can pay a single supplement. They tend do have most meals and activities together and as a social person and the prices are about the best I can find. I have also learned to call ans ask questions about who is registered on the trips I am interested in. Last year I took my daughter to Morocco so I looked for a group with a wide variety of ages. It worked out great!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the responses to this thread. Keep on, keep on.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

So as I embrace being single again I plan on traveling by myself. It would be the first time, as last time I was single I invited friends to travel with me and didn’t go if I couldn’t find anyone to join me. This time I have no issues going by myself.

Would like to hear your travel stories/adventures if you embarked on traveling on your own. What works and what didn’t.
I was in Orlando solo for 6 weeks. I’ve been to harborside solo plenty, I’ve invited friends to WSJ and two are afraid to go, 2 want mexico and I’m waiting on one more. Looks like ANOTHER solo trip. I can invite others but truthfully, I’d rather be solo at that point, than have people come who will bring “drama”. It’s not that bad at all. I’m starting to prefer solo travel

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was in Orlando solo for 6 weeks. I’ve been to harborside solo plenty, I’ve invited friends to WSJ and two are afraid to go, 2 want mexico and I’m waiting on one more. Looks like ANOTHER solo trip. I can invite others but truthfully, I’d rather be solo at that point, than have people come who will bring “drama”. It’s not that bad at all. I’m starting to prefer solo travel
What are they afraid of ?

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I have to travel for work often and it is totally different being by myself. There are times I will have extra time and be able to see some sites and even get to a beach. While it is different being by myself, I still find it easy to enjoy myself. Sometimes I end out talking to new people but other times I can just enjoy the time to myself.

Both my son and daughter are still single and they both enjoy going places by themselves. It helps when you go and do things you enjoy. You’ll be surprised how easy it is to enjoy yourself.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
What are they afraid of ?
Idk get on a plane? Not my problem. Don’t want them there anyway if that’s the case lol

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I get the “drama” part. I don’t want to do this or that, upset if I go to do it. Brings up memories of me traveling with friends. Often I would go on tours alone when they just sat by the pool.

Even though my other half at the time was with me, often we split up in Disney as my interest were different and he didn’t want to join in. I enjoyed my solo adventures eating at my favorite restaurants, seeing exhibits and talking with the artists, watching the street shows, talking to pin collectors, etc. Look forward to trading into Disney and going more often.

Where did you stay in Orlando?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I get the “drama” part. I don’t want to do this or that, upset if I go to do it. Brings up memories of me traveling with friends. Often I would go on tours alone when they just sat by the pool.

Even though my other half at the time was with me, often we split up in Disney as my interest were different and he didn’t want to join in. I enjoyed my solo adventures eating at my favorite restaurants, seeing exhibits and talking with the artists, watching the street shows, talking to pin collectors, etc. Look forward to trading into Disney and going more often.

I stayed at the Marriott grand vista. Oh, i know all about the i want to do this and it that crowd haha. I’ve had plenty of trips with friends ruined because of people who insisted we do “everything as a group” aye what a disaster.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

I went to Disneyland with a group of friends some years back. Although we started out together at some point we broke apart and I was on my own. I had a good time.

About the travel group on TUG. I thought there was a group some years back called LOV (Ladies on Vacation). I'm not sure if it's a TUG group or set up somewhere else, but it used to be mentioned here.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I've traveled solo for work and usually stay a few extra days if it's an interesting place. I've enjoyed booking various tours as well as exploring on my own. From Albuquerque, I spent the weekend in Sante Fe on my own visiting art galleries, shops, etc. I usually start chatting with store owners in small shops.
In SF, I took the ferry over to Sausalito and chatted with the wine store owner. I also booked a wine tour. When I told the coordinator that I was solo, she suggested that I take the "lower level" tour in stead of the premium one, as mostly couples did the latter. I met 3 ladies from Scotland and had an excellent time. My colleague usually finds restaurants that have a galley where he can sit at the bar and watch the chef cook or chat with others.
I have also done WDW solo. Once was after clearing out my Mom's house in FL and I just needed to go and chill for a few days: I went to the spa, read a book at the pool at AKV, chatted with others at the pool, ate long breakfast/coffees chatting with others, and sometimes head over to Disney Springs. I pick a TS with lively pool areas and if they have quick service restaurants, it's easy to chat with others. My fav is AKV Kidani for breakfast in Sana as it's quick service and lovely. Sometimes I get coffee in AM at SSR and then sit by the pool. Same for OKW. A DVC resort is probably my Fav solo. I also had an annual pass at the time and just power walked around AKV or the world at Epcot to get 5-7 miles in each day.
Once, I had an entire weekend planned for N. Italy, including a day tour to Lake District and Switzerland, but trip got nixed last minute. I use viator.com to see what an area has. They are a booking agent for local tours. There are food tours, etc. Once, we had a solo Mom (with a baby) on our day tour from Florence! We all had an awesome time!
If cruising starts back, NCL Epic has cool studio rooms with an attached lounge, the have a concierge who coordinates group singles dinners, matches up groups to do excursions, etc. I wanted to use their free espresso machine so badly!
I'd totally do a TUG girls' meet-up somewhere in the future. It would be super fun to "meet" and hang out with my TUG girlfriends. Orlando is likely the easiest as plentiful supply. Maybe fall 2021? We could do a different "Event" each evening with DIY/WDW/meet at the pool during the day: drinks/appetizers ice breaker at Resort X poolside on Monday, Progressive dinner in 3 condos at same resort (I'll be at a Marriott with an AC) on Tuesday, Games night at someone's condo on Wednesday, etc. Elaine(ps. Can anyone tell that I was our HOA's social chairperson for 5 years-lol!)

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I've traveled to Atlanta or Charlotte many times solo just to get away and shop. I travel solo to Myrtle Beach for a four day conference every February. When I travel to visit a good friend in Greenville, SC, I stay in a hotel solo. I've thought of traveling to Italy solo and just hope I get back there either way someday. I don't mind eating breakfast or lunch out by myself at all. But I do feel a bit odd at dinner and tend pick up drive-through and bring it back to the room. I also feel a bit of loneliness when I return to the room in the evening. There's something empty feeling about opening the door and going in alone.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I also feel a bit on loneliness when I return to the room in the evening. There's something empty feeling about opening the door and going in alone.
Some restaurants have an open kitchen and a bar overlooking. I'd find one of those to eat dinner. I also usually get take out for dinner. If I have a good lobby, I'll have decaf/wine and take a book and people watch a bit. DVC AKV lobby is definitely great for solos. Lots of activity all day/night. In fact, I rarely do any serious reading!
I also used to go the the theater alone a lot in NYC. During the day, I explored back streets of NYC, had brunch by central park, etc., then got salad/pizza for a quick dinner before Broadway. But, I also didn't mind eating solo at little restaurants in the East/West Village.

Last edited:

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm married, but often travel solo. Sometimes I book a trip that DH isn't interested in, so I go alone. I love being able to spend as long as I want in a museum, see the flowers in the spring in Amsterdam or decide on the day's activities. I love to travel with DH, friends & other family members, but it's also great to travel alone.

DH & I travel a lot together, but also enjoy different types of trips. He isn't crazy about a beach vacation & I love it! He likes to get away from people fishing, snowmobiling, riding motorcycles & 4-wheelers. I love to explore cities in the US and Europe.

Years ago (2003?), I booked a week at the Marriott Custom House in Boston. As it got closer my DH had a conflict, then my DS's also couldn't make it. I decided to go by myself and had a great time exploring Boston.