• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Singles with no significant other - timeshare/vacation travel

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Back when my wife was alive, she would go with me to Steamboat Springs for the ski season. One year she decided to stay home while I went and she would come out for a week or so and I would fly back home as well. We did it that way until she passed. Still go every year.

Same thing on my frequent trips to Europe, sometimes she would come, sometimes not.

OTOH, she always came on our trips to Mexico.

I do travel occasionally with a female friend now but mostly solo.

Each trip has been fun and enjoyable solo or accompanied. Life is what you make it.

Cheers

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Honestly, even though my husband is with me, sometimes I feel like I am by myself because on the low key vacations at our timeshares he barely does anything at all and spends a lot of time in the condo watching TV or on his computer. It is more work for me to nag and drag him along. I bet many people at our timeshares think I am alone because they never see him at the pool.

He does not like doing anything. No hiking, biking (he will do this if I insist), swimming, golfing, the gym, you name it he doesn't care to do it. He's boring. LOL! No socializing with other travelers either. How can he? He doesn't do anything! Hell- I can't even get him to sit out on a balcony to gaze at the scenery and enjoy fresh air most times. Ok- I have forced him to go on a lot of the group walks where we live and he does like going out on our neighbor's boat and some socialzing with the neighbors as a couple.

I join in on group things if there is something I am interested in without him.

Pre COVID he would go to the movies with me. He will go to a restaurant. I have to plan out everything to do and try to convince him to go. It's exhausting.

On a special trip to somewhere we have never been he will go sightseeing. But again, I have to plan it out. He does no research- nothing. Even places we go to regularly he is hard pressed to even remember anything about anything. He takes no interest. Even where we have moved he does not research and learn about the area. I don't get it. Me- I am continually reading and learning about places.

So- anyway, my point is I would have no issues traveling alone. I do confess I like my husband to drive. Not that I can't or wouldn't. But I enjoy being the navigator.

PS I have gone to the movies alone and I have eaten out dinner alone with no reservation about doing so.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have to travel for work often and it is totally different being by myself. There are times I will have extra time and be able to see some sites and even get to a beach. While it is different being by myself, I still find it easy to enjoy myself. Sometimes I end out talking to new people but other times I can just enjoy the time to myself.

Both my son and daughter are still single and they both enjoy going places by themselves. It helps when you go and do things you enjoy. You’ll be surprised how easy it is to enjoy yourself.

Yes. Right, My son is 32 and single and he pretty much has to do things himself. When he traveled for work pre COVID he had to eat alone and he would visit breweries and talk to people and do some sightseeing on his own. He was just with us in Vermont and went out by himself for lunch at a brewery and talked to the people there (he works part time in a brewery and is into it big time). He eats out dinner alone sometimes.

Being an only child he is good at being alone. (though he really would like to met someone).

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yes. Right, My son is 32 and single and he pretty much has to do things himself. When he traveled for work pre COVID he had to eat alone and he would visit breweries and talk to people and do soem sightseeing on his own. He was just with us in Vermont and went out by himself for lunch at a brewery and talked to the people there (he works part time in a brewery and is into it big time). He eats out dinner alone sometimes.

Being an only child he is good at being alone. (though he really would like to met someone).

Very similar to my son. He is 8 Years younger than his sister so when he was older he was by himself at home with us.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Being an only child he is good at being alone.
Speaking as a member of that club, I can attest to the need of being good at this.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
IMO Being Single and venturing out alone on vacation is much different they having a significant other and going alone or feeling alone ( I experienced both), traveling alone on business (I did that ). Your significant other is always reachable if you get lonely or in an emergency.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Honestly, even though my husband is with me, sometimes I feel like I am by myself because on the low key vacations at our timeshares he barely does anything at all and spends a lot of time in the condo watching TV or on his computer. It is more work for me to nag and drag him along. I bet many people at our timeshares think I am alone because they never see him at the pool.

He does not like doing anything. No hiking, biking (he will do this if I insist), swimming, golfing, the gym, you name it he doesn't care to do it. He's boring. LOL! No socializing with other travelers either. How can he? He doesn't do anything! Hell- I can't even get him to sit out on a balcony to gaze at the scenery and enjoy fresh air most times. Ok- I have forced him to go on a lot of the group walks where we live and he does like going out on our neighbor's boat and some socialzing with the neighbors as a couple.

Pre COVID he would go to the movies with me. He will go to a restaurant. I have to plan out everything to do and try to convince him to go. It's exhausting.

On a special trip to somewhere we have never been he will go sightseeing. But again, I have to plan it out. He does no research- nothing. Even places we go to regularly he is hard pressed to even remember anything about anything. He takes no interest. Even where we have moved he does not research and learn about the area. I don't get it. Me- I am continually reading and learning about places.

So- anyway, my point is I would have no issues traveling alone. I do confess I like my husband to drive. Not that I can't or wouldn't. But I enjoy being the navigator.

PS I have gone to the movies alone and I have eaten out dinner alone with no reservation about doing so.

Sounds like he is the yin to your yang...... :unsure:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

Hubby says that I just want him to go to drive and carry the bags. :shrug: But he likes to travel and take it all in, though I am the planner. I do go to movies and theater alone. And I have eaten dinner out alone quite a few times. I think the nicer the restaurant the worse I feel eating alone. So unless it's just a can't miss place, I eat drive through or in a casual place for dinner.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When we travel Patti and I do everything together - hike, snorkel, kayak (but separate kayaks), zipline, cliff climb, visit museums, etc, etc. We eat all our meals together. At home we probably spend 90% to 95% of our time together. She has given up on bike riding. So she goes for a long walk and when she gets home I go for a long Bike Ride. For the past 4 weeks since Felix's foot surgery we take turns shopping so he is not alone.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Yes. Right, My son is 32 and single and he pretty much has to do things himself. When he traveled for work pre COVID he had to eat alone and he would visit breweries and talk to people and do soem sightseeing on his own. He was just with us in Vermont and went out by himself for lunch at a brewery and talked to the people there (he works part time in a brewery and is into it big time). He eats out dinner alone sometimes.

Take your Son on your timeshare trips!

JustDandy

Reaction score
I am female, single, and travel alone. If I would wait for someone to join me, I wouldn't do anything...ever. Back when I lived at home/closer to my home, most of my friends were already paired off. Hello, let me introduce myself as the third wheel. lol. I never had a desire to travel with a couple (even if they were my good friends). I would do occasional trips to areas within 2-6hrs drive time for extended weekends here & there. Just to use some PTO and get away. Did 2 longer travels where I flew 5+hrs to my destination. I booked tours and other activities I thought would be fun. It wasn't weird at all being there by myself. Sometimes the families/couples paired up and chatted amongst themselves, so I got the tourguide to myself. Now that I have moved some 1800 miles away from home, I am really on my own & independent. Don't get me wrong I have great friends, but most are married or engaged. Someday, I will have a travel partner, but not today.

I am actually vacationing right now. Bid and won a timeshare rental to a resort on eBay about 7hrs away. Instead of driving all 7hrs one day, I split it in 2. Spent a night in a new-to-me city. After that, I had another rental set up a day later. Instead of taking the direct route, I took the road less traveled. Also stayed in another new-to-me city. . Really enjoyed stopping at random places along the way. Taking my good ol' time walking around. Or, just making a quick pitstop.

From what I can tell, generally, people don't really care or even notice if you travel alone. Most folks are too busy worrying about themselves to even take a second glance.

Last edited:

haras

TUG Member
Reaction score

So as I embrace being single again I plan on traveling by myself. It would be the first time, as last time I was single I invited friends to travel with me and didn’t go if I couldn’t find anyone to join me. This time I have no issues going by myself.

Would like to hear your travel stories/adventures if you embarked on traveling on your own. What works and what didn’t.

when I was much younger, I had to fly to Europe for work. I was in my mid twenties and I did it over a span of 3-4 years I had to learn to eat alone in a restaurant and visit sites alone. The experience taught me a lot. Sometimes if the vibe was good I would talk to a stranger at the bar and it it didn’t, I wouldn’t. Today my life is crazy in my mid 40’s with 3 young boys but I can easily eat at a restaurant alone during my hour lunch break and happily appreciate the silence of a good meal.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Take your Son on your timeshare trips!

Oh we have! We use our home resorts and they are within his driving distance so he comes for a few days. When he was younger he came with us on all our exchanges around the country.

But the last few vacations we had outside our timeshare usage via flying, we went alone.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great thread Panina. DH and I do alot of travel together, but there are places I want to go that he’s not interested in. I used to travel a lot for business, and would do some solo sightseeing, but that’s a while back now.

Would definitely be interested in meeting up with fellow lady Tuggers. And Orlando is just down the road from me.;)

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO Being Single and venturing out alone on vacation is much different they having a significant other and going alone or feeling alone ( I experienced both), traveling alone on business (I did that ). Your significant other is always reachable if you get lonely or in an emergency.
I was going to quote winniwoman, because I did have to do many things alone At a timeshare. What panina says is true, but Even though I have a husband I no longer have someone if I get lonely or an emergency. I also do the driving, the packing, the carrying of the bags.
several years ago, we arrived in key west and my husband felt sick. He never left the condo. Some old man started following me around, it was terribly uncomfortable .
it is really weird because now my husband wants to go somewhere. Every day he asks to go somewhere and there is nowhere to go.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I was going to quote winniwoman, because I did have to do many things alone At a timeshare. What panina says is true, but Even though I have a husband I no longer have someone if I get lonely or an emergency. I also do the driving, the packing, the carrying of the bags.
several years ago, we arrived in key west and my husband felt sick. He never left the condo. Some old man started following me around, it was terribly uncomfortable .
it is really weird because now my husband wants to go somewhere. Every day he asks to go somewhere and there is nowhere to go.
Your situation is different as everything now falls on you. I know how hard it is. I went through it with my dad.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Very true. Someone to fall back on. I agree. But maybe a close relative or friend you could call in an emergency will have to do.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I love the responses to this thread. Keep on, keep on.
Me, too! I'll be there in a few years, once the kids age out. I do not intend to give up my little jaunts hither and yon. I never go very far, but the time away is essential for me. Especially since I'll likely be working two jobs pretty much full time for the rest of my working life, due to this divorce.

Silver lining to going by myself, after years of traveling as a family: I'll be able to book a 1BR!!!! All of those wonderful getaway/extra vacation weeks in II/RCI that I see that are too small right now will finally "fit!" :)

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of single men too that travel.
Although I prefer to travel with my wife (and we have had some wonderful trips), neither she nor I mind if the other goes somewhere alone. There are a couple of areas in Europe that I would like to see, but she has no interest in them. So at some point, I'll just book tours on my own and go. And she's fine with that.

Sometimes we'll even book separate TS stays if the other person can't go. Last year, I booked a string of cheap Getaways and ACs, all within driving distance. We stayed together in two of them, she went by herself to two others, and I went by myself to a couple more.

Nice thread, Panina. I'm glad I finally came across it!

Skicop

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to travel solo often when i was younger. I went all over the world alone. Recently i've lapsed into waiting till i found someone who wanted to go with me. I agree with you, i think it is time to venture out on my own again.......

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

So as I embrace being single again I plan on traveling by myself. It would be the first time, as last time I was single I invited friends to travel with me and didn’t go if I couldn’t find anyone to join me. This time I have no issues going by myself.

Would like to hear your travel stories/adventures if you embarked on traveling on your own. What works and what didn’t.
Well my Aruba travel is solo again. Since WSJ cancelled my friends bailed and I refused to not travel so Aruba it is

MTKESQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
MVCI has inclusive tours available with points. However, they are based on double occupancy, and MVCI refuses to provide a credit to single travelers for the "2nd traveler" for the cost of activities such as meals, transportation, theater, safaris, museums, tours, etc. If enough solo travelers requested solo tours, perhaps MVCI would offer them, or are least provide a credit for unused activities.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
MVCI has inclusive tours available with points. However, they are based on double occupancy, and MVCI refuses to provide a credit to single travelers for the "2nd traveler" for the cost of activities such as meals, transportation, theater, safaris, museums, tours, etc. If enough solo travelers requested solo tours, perhaps MVCI would offer them, or are least provide a credit for unused activities.
I’ve always had issue with that. Never any single person pricing on many things