• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

single cup coffee makers?

seenett

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on a new single cup coffee maker. My wife and I are not coffee drinkers, but we have always had a coffee maker on hand for dinner/overnight guests. Looks like our 10 year old coffee maker is on its last legs and it is time to upgrade.

We like the idea of a single cup maker because of their simplicity and, obviously, no need to make 5+ cups all at once.

I have seen to basic types: ones that use "pods" and ones that use "k-cups". Pods seem to be available in more places, but k-cup machines all seem to have higher customer satisfaction.

Any thoughts? We don't want to spend more than $100.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
4-Cup Mr. Coffee.

Just to save space down at our dinky 35-foot non-traveling travel trailer at Rehoboth Beach DE, I recently sprang for a nice little 4-cup-capacity Mr. Coffee machine -- $3.99 + tax at a local 2nd hand store. (It's a Virginia 2nd hand store -- there's no sales tax at Delaware 2nd hand stores.) On vacation at timeshares & at the trailer, I most often use Maxwell House filter packs -- each 1 makes 4 cups of coffee, so everything works out great. Or I can pop in some Maxwell House or Folger's coffee pods & everything still works out great. If I'm out of pods & filter packs both, I can use the mini-size basket-style filters plus regular ground coffee, & that works great too. Good coffee in a jiffy any way you shake it.

BTW, last time I needed a regular, full-size Mr. Coffee, I checked out the GoodWill store. Turned out their used coffee makers were priced higher than the basic-model new coffee makers at Target. Who'd a-thunk? So I sprang for a new 1.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You just missed one on WOOT.COM for $19.00+ $5.00 shipping with 5 big boxes of coffee and teas...this machine works great, but only makes a 5 to 7 oz cup. (Also had a steamer) PITA to use and set up. Company was a multi-level marketing sham that went ka-put. www.nhtglobal.com.

No company means no specific sized pods....but according to WOOT, and the website, Folgers pods will fit.

Its packed up right now for a single serviceman on Ft Monmouth.

I would buy a coffee maker that is a drip like a Mr Coffee) ( which this pod machine is like) or a small Faberware perk.

I don't think you need anything fancy for a few times a month. Open the can of small Folgers for $1.99 (with $1.00 P & G coupon) and keep it in the freezer. It should stay fresh. Buy some of those coffee filters, too.

I don't think this WOOT special coffee maker sold out, so in may be on the one of the WOOT specials....but you have to watch all day for it to come up...and it will probably be less than $19.00 + $5.00 shipping.

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well...since I couldn't get the website to show this product anymore ( they are trying to sell well ness stuff now....get in on the top, so you get a piece of everyones action)....I checked WOOT.

Its longer ago than you just missed...it was April. They will have links to websites, and I think you will find one from about $20.00 plus the 72 free pods.

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1259569&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=585

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have a Keurig (k-cup) brewer which I absolutely, positively love. Not only do I love it because I can make a cup for me (since I'm the only one the drinks coffee in the house), but because I can offer guests a cup of coffee with no work on my part. It also makes tea and hot chocolate.

However, I think they are in the $150 range...maybe you can find one for a bit less. Well worth the price though.

Good luck with your decision!

Sharon

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got a single cup "French Press". Classic device that really makes a pure cup of coffee without overheating or absorbing aromatic oils in filter media.

seenett

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Keurig (k-cup) brewer which I absolutely, positively love. ...think they are in the $150 range...maybe you can find one for a bit less. Well worth the price though.

Good luck with your decision!

Sharon

Amazon has the B40 for $99, so it is in the running. Any more positives or neagitves for either format?

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH sometimes uses a diy pod maker which seem like a PITA to me. He orders large quantities of regular pods online (free shipping) since Target no longer carries his brand.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Amazon has the B40 for $99, so it is in the running. Any more positives or neagitves for either format?

Check at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Linens n Things. They were pushing a nice Keurig with a water reservoir a few months ago, and with the 20 percent off coupons that BB&B and LNT give out like candy, it came to a good price, although not as good as Amazon's, if that's the same model. They were giving out samples of the coffee and it was very good.

But you might be able to get 20 percent off on the pods at the stores. They take each other's coupons and they take expired coupons, btw.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I've been looking at travel coffee makers for some time now to replace my trusty Philips that packs easily into my suitcase. I does double duty for me - single cup in my bedroom and/or in my hotel room.

Here's the closest one I've found to it, but haven't bought yet.

Brian

http://www.christinecolumbus.com/products.asp?pID=519

Arkansas Winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 Cup Coffee Maker plus 1 lb of Coffee $5.00

Gevalia - Two Boxes of Gevalia coffee + 1-Cup Coffee Maker $5 shipped
Gevalia offers the "Welcome Back" package containing two boxes of Gevalia Kaffe and 1-Cup ADC Coffee Maker for $5 shipped free. To get this deal, click on the "Join" link, then "Special Offer Code", and enter coupon code 401576. You may cancel the program anytime by calling 1-800-438-2542, and the coffee maker and coffee are yours to keep!
Expires 8/30/2007.

http://tinyurl.com/2pxnos

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

fnewman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Platinum member: Diamond US Collection, Cypress Point I, Powhatan Plantation, San Luis Obispo.
To me the biggest problem with the one cup coffee makers is that the k-cups cost about $.50 each. That's not much if you compare to what Starbucks charges for a cup of coffee, but a lot when you consider you can buy ground coffee at the store that will make many more cups at a much lower cost.

I guess it could be a good choice for someone who only needs to make a few cups occasionally.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Senseo and with 1 pod I get a 4 oz. cup which is really small. If I use 1 pod and make a double size, it is a bit weak. And the double size nearly overflows my mug!

JEFF H

Reaction score
Senseo has a offer where you pay $15 for shipping and handling and get a free machine after filling out a survey.
http://sharesenseo.com/q6/1.jsp;jsessionid=D75027D65D5C7CC628AD9C958D8F7D4B

I received mine about two weeks ago and really like it alot.
Im buying Timothy and Java one pods from Amazon.com for .25 to .28 per pod with free shipping. These pods are much larger and better than the senseo pods and one pod makes a full 8 oz cup of coffee.