• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sierra, Sierra, Sierra, Sierra

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I was working there were 4 of us with variations of the same name on the afternoon shift. One was Diana, one was Dianne, then 2 Diane's. It was very confusing when one of was paged to take a phone call.

Our DiL's best friend since childhood is a girl named Lindsay. When Lindsay began getting serious about a guy she was dating, she kept introducing him as just Dan, never a last name. After they got engaged she finally told all her friends what his last name was so nobody would giggle at the wedding when it was announced. Dan's surname was Lindsey! So now she is Lindsay Lindsey.

I went through high school with a girl named Janet Smith. She hated her last name and was jealous of anybody with an unusual surname and said she looked forward to marrying somebody with a different last name some day. Many years after graduation I met her at a high school reunion and noticed she was married. I asked if she found a guy with an unusual last name and she said no, I married Bob Jones! So she went from being a Smith to a Jones, probably 2 of the most common surnames in Canada. Poor girl! :giggle:

~Diane

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Oh my....not sure whether to share this one so take it as an actual name please.

In my mid twenties, I was a high school teacher. I had a student who just immigrated to Canada. Her name you ask?

Errrrrrrr....

Fuk Yu

Oh oh.

Well, I met with the parents with a Cantonese translator and told them I do respect them and I am sure Fuk’s name is perfectly fine in China. However, due to language changes, this name will unfortunately cause this girl some serious teasing. They enquired why? I told them what her name means in English.

Well, you could see the blood blush rising in her faces...

We agreed that I will call her Sally Yu around the other students and her real name in private.

That solved this girl’s embarrassment.

That was a most delicate conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I should add, this girl has since completely changed her name. Very sweet person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
In my high school Drama class there was a girl named Joan Wells. And there was a guy named Dan Fargo. I always thought they should date, get married, and hyphenate her name. They didn't. :)

Dave

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a very wealthy, high society matron here in my town whose name is, I kid thee not, Lotta Dick.

As proof, I submit the following newspaper article that references her in the second paragraph....

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I reviewed the roster for my college classes, which start next week. One class includes nine girls, and four of them are named Sierra! What was going on 18-20 years ago that made Sierra such a popular name???

A couple of my friends named their daughter Cierra. Sounds like Sierra. She is about 33.

When I was writing deals I would always ask how to spell the woman's name on the contract. Many would spell their names differently. Like Mary with ie instead of y. Amy or Amiee or Amie Or Ame. Emily or Emilie or Emiley.

Bill

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Each Sierra is very different. I have no trouble telling them apart. One hates her name. :p

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My first name was very common when I was growing up - there was always 2 of us in my grade school classes and often 3.

For my own children, I looked up the name frequency from the prior year and selected names that were around the 100th most popular. They are unlikely to often if ever have overlap, and the names are "common sounding") so will be easily recognizable.

Although sometimes luck plays a factor. About a year before we had our son, a close relative named their son the name we had pre-selected and would have used. We opted to go with something different, and now that name is held by our sons best friend and another kid in his class.