• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should we convert HRC to HPC?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, there were a lot of bronze dregs in the initial Portfolio inventory. It's the Achilles Heel's of their (diabolical, or at least clever) scheme to get rid of those weeks back in 2017.

No matter how many letters we get from their Senior VP on customer service, the unavoidable truth about Hyatt is that they are very slow at opening new boutique resorts. (Personally, not really considering Welk besides Northstar.) A new boutique resort would be a shot in the arm for the system.
It is interesting that Northstar was originally a high quality Hyatt boutique resort. Then they sold it to Welk. Now Hyatt gets it back but they have to take all the other Welk resorts. I really wonder if Northstar was a key target that drove the Welk purchase?

alameda94501

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is interesting that Northstar was originally a high quality Hyatt boutique resort. Then they sold it to Welk. Now Hyatt gets it back but they have to take all the other Welk resorts. I really wonder if Northstar was a key target that drove the Welk purchase?

It's a good question. As they thought through potential acquisition targets, how many independent systems are really out there? It seems like when I look at the TUG Forums, there's no way Hyatt could acquire Hilton/Diamond/Embarc or Worldmark/Wyndham or Disney. I see that Bluegreen and Holiday Inn and Vacation Village have their subforums, but those might not be suitable.

I think Four Seasons (Aviara) would be a nice fit, but that system doesn't seem like it has a solid internal exchange besides the one established between Aviara and Troon.

Welk seems like a reasonable choice - hopefully it has enough in the way of bones to make it work.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
For a good season? Lousy.

I've never had a problem. I just looked at my II history, and it is *IMPRESSIVE* what we've been able to do with a bronze Hyatt week. (It's only been a few years since the upgrade. Most of what we've done, we have done with 1300 points.)

We spend Christmas in Napa nearly every year. Sometimes Thanksgiving in Napa. Sometimes Spring Break in Napa. (My wife is a teacher, so we have to fight with everyone else for the school-vacation weeks. Thankfully she's taking early retirement this year and that yoke is off us for good.)

We've visited Europe in summer many times -- enough to know we dislike visiting in high season. Too crowded with tour groups. So we stick with off season. But we had no problems grabbing summer weeks.
Plenty in Tuscany.
Loads in the UK -- pretty much every other year for the last 15 years.
One year we traded for three studios on Hainan Island in China and took my in-laws for a big Chinese summer vacation.
As we complete our move to Hawaii, we've been using timeshares to bring family to come see the farm, while not having them constantly underfoot. We also used timeshares to narrow down which island we wanted to retire to -- turns out a coffee farm on the Big Island worked best for us.
We've gifted weeks to relatives -- Disney and Hyannis.

But, as mentioned earlier, every year we have the conversation, "Norway, Baja or Singapore next month?" Usually while searching Kayak for flights before booking.

boraxo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra, Villa Resorts (Mexico)
I've never had a problem. I just looked at my II history, and it is *IMPRESSIVE* what we've been able to do with a bronze Hyatt week. (It's only been a few years since the upgrade. Most of what we've done, we have done with 1300 points.)

We spend Christmas in Napa nearly every year. Sometimes Thanksgiving in Napa. Sometimes Spring Break in Napa. (My wife is a teacher, so we have to fight with everyone else for the school-vacation weeks. Thankfully she's taking early retirement this year and that yoke is off us for good.)

We've visited Europe in summer many times -- enough to know we dislike visiting in high season. Too crowded with tour groups. So we stick with off season. But we had no problems grabbing summer weeks.
Plenty in Tuscany.
One year we traded for three studios on Hainan Island in China and took my in-laws for a big Chinese summer vacation.

None of these are high season. Napa high season is summer weekends. Europe summer weeks on Santorini or French Riviera? Do they even have timeshares there?

Hawaii prime summer week at a TOP quality resort like Hyatt, Westin, Marriott? That I would like to see with a bronze week.

Are these things impossible? Of course not, some people have figured out a way to do it. For the average owner poking around on the II website? Not a chance.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
None of these are high season. Napa high season is summer weekends. Europe summer weeks on Santorini or French Riviera? Do they even have timeshares there?

Hawaii prime summer week at a TOP quality resort like Hyatt, Westin, Marriott? That I would like to see with a bronze week.

Are these things impossible? Of course not, some people have figured out a way to do it. For the average owner poking around on the II website? Not a chance.
While certainly not easy, you can stretch your Hyatt points by being early, patient and flexible for location and last minute trips. I got a 2br week over Memorial Day at a Hilton on the Big Island.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
While certainly not easy, you can stretch your Hyatt points by being early, patient and flexible for location and last minute trips. I got a 2br week over Memorial Day at a Hilton on the Big Island.
So true. We have stayed in the winter at Westin in Maui often from II and this summer Sands of Kahana in a 1 bedroom. We check every morning when in planning mode

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I don't even think it's particularly difficult. I mentioned in another thread that anyone who "wants what they want, where they want, when they want it" should stay in hotels. Timeshares in general aren't going to work for such people. Hyatt is one of the easiest systems out there, but it still requires thinking like an engineer and being flexible enough to say, "I'm cool with either Nepal or Norway this summer.

People who try to make Hyatt into something that it is not are never going to be happy. Want to stay at the French Riviera during Cannes? Spend tens of thousands along with all the other movie stars. Bring your mega-yacht. That never appealed to me. And never will.

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score

Plenty in Tuscany.
As we complete our move to Hawaii, we've been using timeshares to bring family to come see the farm, while not having them constantly underfoot. We also used timeshares to narrow down which island we wanted to retire to -- turns out a coffee farm on the Big Island worked best for us.
We've gifted weeks to relatives -- Disney and Hyannis.

But, as mentioned earlier, every year we have the conversation, "Norway, Baja or Singapore next month?" Usually while searching Kayak for flights before booking.
Thank you for the encouraging post. Can you suggest a Napa property that you like that could be possible to get into on off season? The off-er the better, as you said.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Thank you for the encouraging post. Can you suggest a Napa property that you like that could be possible to get into on off season? The off-er the better, as you said.

There are only two -- Vino Bello (nicer rooms) and Riverpointe (better location). Either is fine. I've never had a problem getting into Riverpointe. We've stayed there more than any other resort.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
(Personally, not really considering Welk besides Northstar.)

As a Welk owner, I’m curious why you feel that way. Welk’s resort in Breckenridge is rated higher on Travelocity than the Hyatt Main Street. The resort in Cabo is quite nice. Branson is well-loved for Branson. I agree Palm Desert needs work. And Escondido could use some upgrades but the basis is there for a nice resort.
What do you think is needed to make these live up to your standards?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a Welk owner, I’m curious why you feel that way. Welk’s resort in Breckenridge is rated higher on Travelocity than the Hyatt Main Street. The resort in Cabo is quite nice. Branson is well-loved for Branson. I agree Palm Desert needs work. And Escondido could use some upgrades but the basis is there for a nice resort.
For me, there just aren’t many Welk destinations I’m excited about except San Diego. Way to heavy in CA. From a quality standpoint there appears to be some very nice upscale locations and some kinda tired “Sheraton” grade locations.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

As former owners of Welk we feel similarly to what a couple others have said- not all that interested.

We initially owned a fixed week unit in Escondido before switching to their points program. We liked the resort very much (good experiences in the original section and Mountain Villas), but felt too far removed from what we really wanted on the coast and in San Diego. We stayed at Sirena Del Mar in Cabo once and liked it but it’s out on the resort corridor rather than in one of the towns. Visited the resort in Branson, which is a little out of town as I recall, but the units looked nice. Northstar is nice too, but again the location isn’t ideal for us. Fully agree that the desert property needs a lot of work and it’s in Cathedral City. We can’t speak to the other resorts. So our main issue was the locations of the resorts rather than the resorts themselves. Some people may like them for the locations.

We bought into Hyatt last year (resale) and will most likely use the 1BR side of our unit each year and use the remaining points to stay at various resorts in the HRC system. I can’t see using our points to trade into Welk assuming we easily can without using II. Of course, I never say never. That said, I do like the fact that Hyatt is expanding.

Best regards.

Mike

alameda94501

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm only thinking of the locations, not the resorts themselves. We're pretty easy going about the quality of the resort as long as the basics are there (decent service, respectful neighbors).

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My take on this is the location for Breckenridge is way, way better than the welk location.

There really isn't a comparison.

I think the Main Street station units are 15+ years old and the Ranahan is brand new, so I would not be surprised to see it doing better on trip advisor. In 5-10 years, I would think they would be right on par with each other.

If I am able to access the Ranahan using Hyatt Points, I would love to do so during the off-season or summer, but until our kids are much older, I just don't see it as a viable option during Winter.

With Cabo, it doesn't offer me anything that I can't get elsewhere. Even the cash rates for Sirena Del Mar are typically cheaper than the maintenance fees when I've looked.

I think some people may like Escondido, but it's not for me. It's just too far from the beach and the weather can be hot when we want to travel (summer) because it is inland.

My hope is that Welk owners will need to make a heavy purchase to access Hyatt, and vice versa. I know that if all Welk owners are given access to Hyatt without an additional buy-in, my usage will probably be affected pretty negatively.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, there were a lot of bronze dregs in the initial Portfolio inventory. It's the Achilles Heel's of their (diabolical, or at least clever) scheme to get rid of those weeks back in 2017.

No matter how many letters we get from their Senior VP on customer service, the unavoidable truth about Hyatt is that they are very slow at opening new boutique resorts. (Personally, not really considering Welk besides Northstar.) A new boutique resort would be a shot in the arm for the system.
So I tried to book a short stay 6 months out at Pinion Pointe and only portfolio units were available. This could be an indication of growth of HPC. Bummer for legacy HRC.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I tried to book a short stay 6 months out at Pinion Pointe and only portfolio units were available. This could be an indication of growth of HPC. Bummer for legacy HRC.
I just looked at Inventory 6 mos out for 4 and 7 nights and there were plenty. I have always got in to Pinon Pointe whenever we wanted. I would be surprised if it became an issue

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just looked at Inventory 6 mos out for 4 and 7 nights and there were plenty. I have always got in to Pinon Pointe whenever we wanted. I would be surprised if it became an issue
They show for me as Portfolio Program. When I try to book it says no points available.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They show for me as Portfolio Program. When I try to book it says no points available.
Club can book Portfolio at 6 mos so maybe the dates are a few days over. I'M not sure how they exactly calculate 6 months. I would just call.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club can book Portfolio at 6 mos so maybe the dates are a few days over. I'M not sure how they exactly calculate 6 months. I would just call.
Thx! I checked for the 19th and it worked. I will try again each day. So it’s not six month, but six months minus a day it two Or based on the day of the week rather than calendar day.

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thx! I checked for the 19th and it worked. I will try again each day. So it’s not six month, but six months minus a day it two.
Yay! Glad it worked

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
Im looking at some portfolio points for resale and it lists only nine HRCs as home resorts. Does that mean one cannot access the other six?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Im looking at some portfolio points for resale and it lists only nine HRCs as home resorts. Does that mean one cannot access the other six?
I think not until 6 months but I’m not sure. Be careful of all the resale restrictions.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Only if someone from the other resorts buys portfolio and converts their week. Few Maui or Siesta Key folks would do so . Inventory is low in the other resorts

bksm

Reaction score
Just had the pitch to buy HPP points in addition to the HRC week we have in Lake Tahoe. We have not had a problem trading each year, mostly within Hyatt, but I am noticing more HPP inventory, which we pay slightly higher fees for. There was no mention of a fee on top of the cost of points and Closing Costs. The pitch is more inventory 6 to 14 (or 15) months. The smallest amount was 660 points. With 1880 in our deeded week we might consider just enough to get us to 2201 points. Is that even possible and will the additional flexibility allow us to get into Maui or Sunset Key? We have 3x 2brs for 5 nights Sun to Fri this week at Coconut Plantation. It’s nice as always.